• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Is Warcraft III on Android stupid?

In the summer of 2022 I was feeling down about Arclight Rumble because I felt that it existed at the expense of future improvements on Reforged, and when I looked at how they had Warcraft 3 characters in a charismatic and artsy way now for sale on the phone I felt like everything I had done on Retera Model Studio and Warsmash that inadvertently promote Warcraft III had all existed for the purpose of being exploited to convert our community to mobile games for the purpose of better financial exploitation.

This bothered me greatly, and between May 2022 until July 2022 on some of my weekends I screwed around to port Warsmash to an Android game against the advice of some of the better people in my life because of how I felt about this, and how I wanted to make fun of Arclight Rumble. Ultimately I was successful in my efforts to create the port, but shortly afterwards the feeling of being advised that this was the one technology product I shouldn't build because Activision would finally notice and stop me, plus that dislike of Arclight Rumble as being an effort to convert Warcraft III from a creative tech into an anti-creative tech that drains money off of people... Anyway I guess that might have indirectly resulted in the story that we have all heard where to try to portray how bad this felt I had a parody of a Cease and Desist letter in the background of one of my videos, and even though it was obviously fake and I quickly deleted the video people really just tell themselves the story they all just want to hear and were not focused on my story and this inner challenge and how Arclight Rumble made me feel.

Fast forward to today and some people in China or something realized how Warsmash could be ported to Android but were struggling greatly to do it themselves because of the technical effort involved. These guys have the financial motivation (in China with no laws they can probably make a lot of money selling DotA on Android!) but they didn't have the more powerful "I hate you" motivation that I was feeling towards Activision, so probably they were not really able to succeed at what they were doing with the porting. They sent some pictures now that it's been several weeks they were working but it was stuck in places like this:
1692548553479.png

So, in the spirit of open source technology and because I had no backups of the Warsmash phone parody (and almost lost it by dropping and breaking the one laptop that contained this code), I have now published to my GitHub the 2022 parody of Warsmash that plays on Android. It is a completely separate git repo with a huge ton of changes split off from the main Warsmash project and is missing a ton of Warsmash updates (summer 2022 until summer 2023, so a year of progress missing) but my version is a working prototype to the point that a player can enter a standard melee game, and looks about like this (screenshots of my code running on an Android virtual device emulator):
1692548657991.png

1692548668419.png

Per the title of this thread, I would ask you to carefully consider, is this technology stupid? I think maybe it is stupid. But for anyone interested in learning about it, for the purposes of open source mentality, here is the GitHub repo of the code pictured above:

This way, the Chinese people will not be stuck trying to port it and fighting with the OpenGL code low level stuff.

In addition, the following are the scripts used to generate the "assets" folder which couldn't be included in the repo for obvious reasons:

Edit: Although Warsmash on Android is stupid, maybe someone could build a World Editor on Android using this tech, or a Retera Model Studio mobile? That might be way more reasonable.

only tweaked around the OpenGL codes
It was fairly involved and changed a bunch of stuff and created problems that I still didn't totally solve. The game logic was unchanged at the time but the data format code changed in several places (locating assets on android file system, using a different texture format). Also, the JASS code was using AWT's Point2.Double class for the location variable in JASS, but I think I changed stuff like that to LibGDX Vector2 class because it is cross compatible with Android. Similarly, the AWT class BufferedImage that was in use to store pathing maps for buildings was changed to LibGDX pixmap which is cross compatible with Warsmash (Edit: Android*), but the use of Pixmap is done wrong and it reloads the pixmap from the hard drive at times when it should not and creates huge lag spikes.

But feel free to try to experiment with it if you would like!

Last edited: