• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Fukushima

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
bvql98iz0i8ujciy4.jpg

Just heard that 10000 mSv per hour (6000+ mSv kill instantly) were measued in Fukushima.
Actually they could not measure higher values with their equipment.
The usual rate a human is exposed to is 2-4 mSv per year which is ~20 million times less.

What's the plan to get rid of that crap right now?
Still burying it under meters of concrete?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It degrades over time. Additionally methods could be developed to clean it up (binding it into organics).

Honestly that whole thing was a mess. They never clearly explained what was happening or going on.

Chenobyl was a true meltdown. The reactor to this day is a pile of molten radioactive metal encased in concrete (what you see of the plant).

This was a minor meltdown. Yes the reactors have melted in parts and material has leaked, but most of the radioactive material is holding reasonably well (or so they say). The major problem is all the radioactive water being produced when cooling it (which is where the danger is for the people of Japan).

I would like to remind you that 10000mSv per hour is probably to be expected in all reactors (that is basically how they work...) but due to damage to the reactors it probably is not degrading very fast (radiation drops with distance).

Cleaning it up is hard only due to low spending to develop such technologies. Both Japan and Russia are sponsoring such technologies now to help clean up both Fukashima and Chynoble. Additionally countries with high Nuclear investments (like mainland europe, USA and China) are taking steps to improve saftey in such facitlites.

Not all this was bad though...
Apparently there was 1 unknown fault with the current reactor design that will be worked on. The fault is not mentioned publically for reasons of national security (terrorists could cause damage with it). Thus nuclear power will be a tad safer in the future.

Level 19
I would like to remind you that 10000mSv per hour is probably to be expected in all reactors

well....IN reactors
it was said that these values were measured at the bottom of a drainpipe wherever that might be
maybe it's directly connected to the outside so it could blow the polluted air out or maybe it's a closed circuit but I don't think it's the later since it would be hard to get measuring robots in there

Apparently there was 1 unknown fault with the current reactor design that will be worked on. The fault is not mentioned publically for reasons of national security (terrorists could cause damage with it). Thus nuclear power will be a tad safer in the future.

I saw a documentary in which was stated that destroying some part which usually is built outside of a nuclear power plant would cause major problems and that this would be quite easy because there is no special protection against anything
but that's probably just another problem
also it was said that a few hand-fired missiles which are broadly available for terrorists were enough to break the hull around the core

I'm wondering why these reactors (except the cooling tower of course) aren't built underground
sure one could dig a tunnel and blow everything up but that could be done with current nuclear power plants as well
and if it is placed in a mountain of stone there is no way to get there without heavy equipment which could be detected by seismographs
at least it would be harder to crash planes into it

but I guess nobody thought about that when these things were built
or it was just ignored as well as the unimaginable long time that it takes the waste to become lead

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
also it was said that a few hand-fired missiles which are broadly available for terrorists were enough to break the hull around the core

The hull around the core is there to prevent the people working getting irradiated. It is made of very dense materials to abosrb the gamma radiation emmited by the reactor. Breaking it will obviously cause higher levels of radiation to leak out the plant. Breaking it however will not cause a major incodint as the reactor will still remain properly cooled.

What happend and the reason the reactor melted was a total cooling failure due to earthquake and tsunami related damages. The reactor itself is largly off ironically and that is the only reason the disaster was not worse. The problem is even an off reactor releases stupidly large quantites of energy which can lead to melting or damages.

Chynoble on the other hand was a reactor stuck at maximum power (due to a error in protocle and design fault). It lasted about 10 seconds before the reactor turned to a pile of runny goo as even the cooling system quickly blew appart.

These things have stupid quantities of energy in them. Even when off like is the case in Japan the power they emmit is hard to control, especially with internal damage (as it is less off as it could be).

Status
Not open for further replies.