• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Frozen Abomination

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello warcrafters of the hive!

Im currently working on a skin of mine using gimp.
Most of the skin is done but i would like some feedback before uploading it.
I was thinking of making a frozen/ice version of a nice unit and when surfing throught the units i found the abomination. It could be funny to freeze a unit like the abomination and this is what i have done so far. I also experienced a strange thing. Take a look at the second picture. You will see some clothes on the back of the unit, but when you then take a look at the first picture there isnt any parts of clothes. I would like to know how to fix it. Any advices about the skin or my skinning techniques is welcome. Enjoy!

Abomination.pngPre.png

Level 10
The way the ice is made looks more like sideways blue fur than ice. try more highlights and more definite lines rather than scribbles. the color is also a little off. It needs quite a bit more shading. Overall, I would just start the skin over and take a look at some tutorials. Google "creating an ice texture in photoshop" or something like that.
Hope to see this remade! maybe make the guts like ice crystals and the ribs into icy spikes :D

first of all, NEVER use a super scratchy texture like that for ice. Never Ever Ever Ever. it makes it look like fur.

instead try using a bit of black, and putting a solid colour, with low opacity across it. then, add a bit of a strong faded white along some edges. add in a few scratches to give texture, but not this many. Here. i cooked up a quick example. although i just chose a random blue, you may want it a bit brighter.

Example.jpg

srry if its messy. i did it in like 2 seconds.

BTW this was made with GIMP. it is my primary tool and it is not any better because of a different program.

Couldn't you just for once make a texture that isn't just random pencil scratch?
Denothors example is nice - have the light source be above the unit, then add sharp edges with extreme highlights on the very edge (very bright), a dark deep colour below, and a cold medium coulor above.
You could also make little cracks with very low opacity so that it looks like they're inside the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.