• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Fresh Install Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
After a few months break I decided to update and tinker with my old maps. Every single patch though, I have problems and it has sometimes resulted in data loss. So I was always backup my maps and move them off PC completely. Here goes...

I UNINSTALL / DELETE ALL WC3 files and folders on my PC.

I reinstall directly from my blizzard account. (note: everything in this post I tested installing from CD also)

Game installs / patches etc... PATH: C:\Program Files\Warcraft III - I believe this is correct and it should not be in the Program Files(x86) with this current patch ???

Would you like to launch? Sure. Game loads, reads patch 1.31.xxx - OK great, good so far.

I want to create a short cut to the editor. I go to C:\Program Files\Warcraft III\x86_64\World Editor - I "copy and paste" it to the desktop and I get error "...code execution can not proceed because ClientSdk.dll was not found..." Hmm, OK let do this: I right click on it and click "create short cut" from the same .exe and then copy it to desktop. OK Good, it works.

Click on the icon and WE opens. So far so good.

Problem 1: Create a test map. Ashenvale, 480x480 (requires Frozen Throne), add some units, save to desktop. TESTMAP01. Map saves but not with the FT Icon but the ROC Icon. Hmm, OK. Right click, properties, File Type: W3X File (.w3x) - The saved map is reading as w3x so I am guessing its a registry problem ??? What is the correct path / extension ???

Problem 2: When I click to open the map, the WE opens but it opens to a blank project, not TESTMAP01. Hmm, OK. Right click, properties, Opens With: Warcraft III World Editor. Looks correct, right ??? I tested with the x86 and x86_64 version but no change.

Are these bugs, or is it an error in the registry / paths / file extensions? Maybe the SDK error?

pyf

pyf

Level 32
[...] I UNINSTALL / DELETE ALL WC3 files and folders on my PC.

I reinstall directly from my blizzard account. [...]

Game installs / patches etc... PATH: C:\Program Files\Warcraft III - I believe this is correct and it should not be in the Program Files(x86) with this current patch ???

Would you like to launch? Sure. Game loads, reads patch 1.31.xxx - OK great, good so far. [...]
What OS are you using?

On the 64-bit version of Windows 10 v1809 and as of this writing, the game got installed in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III folder for me.

[...] (note: everything in this post I tested installing from CD also) [...]
There is no point in installing from the retail CD and then upgrading to the latest version.
The official Blizzard online installer is all you need.

If you had previously enabled any compatibility mode options, it might interfere with the installation process/the game. So please first and foremost, remove any compatibility options you might have enabled in the past.

[...] I want to create a short cut to the editor. I go to C:\Program Files\Warcraft III\x86_64\World Editor - I "copy and paste" it to the desktop and I get error "...code execution can not proceed because ClientSdk.dll was not found..." [...]
The game is not installed properly?
Or rather, why would you want to move an executable to the desktop in the first place?

Please remove any compatibility mode options you might have enabled for the game.
Then uninstall any copy of it from your PC again.
Then reinstall the game by using the official Blizzard online installer (any of them will install both RoC and TFT regardless).
After this is done, please repair your installation of the game (should not be needed, this is 'just in case').

Last edited:
Level 4
Life happens but I am back at this again. Keep in mind, WC3/the game, runs just fine. It is the World Editor that I am having issues.

pyf said:
remove any compatibility mode options
No compatibility mode running. WC3 runs just fine on my PC anyways, its the Editor.

pyf said:
What OS are you using?
Windows 10, 64, v18362.418 as of the latest patch - 9/24/2019.

pyf said:
no point in installing from the retail CD and then upgrading to the latest version
pyf said:
uninstall any copy of it from your PC again. Then reinstall the game by using the official Blizzard online installer
I did it anyways, CD/Blizz multiple times just to eliminate any possibilities or maybe it will trigger the solution. I deleted it again before posting. Reinstall directly from Blizz #27 - still the same issues...

pyf said:
The game is not installed properly?
The game is installed correctly, as far as I know for the current version.
It installs at C: and in Program Files, but not in Program Files (x86) however, inside of Warcraft III, there is an x86 and x86_64 folder, each contains a link to the game and to the World Editor. The parent folder (Warcraft III) has the link to the launcher of the game. It is suggested to run the game via the launcher and not via shortcuts. There is blue post I think on this, as WC3 will eventually be run/accessed via the Battlenet Launcher. So I think all of this correctly installed. But that is why I am asking if others have the same folders and paths.

-I can play Warcraft 3 just fine but have issues with the editor.
I would imagine that as of patch 1.31 you can still:
- save a custom game to the desktop, and not have to save in a specific folder?
- open a custom game from the desktop (to continue editing it) with custom data intact unique to that file?

HERE ARE THE PROBLEMS:

-When I click to open a custom map from the desktop, the WE opens but it opens to a blank project, not TESTMAPo1 for example.

-Saved editor files are saving as .w3m ONLY, regardless if it is ROC or a TFT custom game. (.w3m = RoC custom games, TFT maps = .w3x. Did they merge/change this?)
EDIT: Ok, fixed part of this. There is some registry issue for sure. RoC works fully now and I can make TFT maps and save them but for the TFT maps the icon is broken / incorrect file path!? What should is the CURRENT path in the registry?

- I know this is unique to something about my system / install / uninstall but nothing I have done solves the problem. I am at a loss but out of thousands of people, I am hopping someone has had or seen the same AND KNOWS HOW TO FIX IT or what I AM DOING WRONG.

I am happy to provide ANY INFO requested that will help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.