• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Fragmentation shards

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how fragmentation shard ability/upgrade work, what are its effect. The upgrade apparently serves only for unlocking the ability. The tooltip of the ability says that increases the amount of damage done to medium and unarmored targets, but in the ability data fields I see only increase in splash damage, nothing that indicates about medium and unarmred armor.

If you open the "Game Interface" and scroll to "Text - General - Medium armor takes extra damage from Normal attacks, and reduces damage from Piercing, Magic, and Siege attacks.", you will realize that Medium armor gets reduced damage by Siege attacks.
Mortar Team does have Siege attack type (this is why the ability is clearly destinated for the Mortar Team unit or any unit with siege attack type), so, this ability increases the damage dealt to balance the damage reduction. The fact that the armor types are not directly modified is an issue to ask Mrs. Blizzard ;)
Plus, it is definitely something triggered in the engine itself, since, the upgrade itself has no effect attached to it, yet, it has an effect in-game, another not-directly-changeable issue.

Yes, this is what i am telling you. You were supposed to think in that point "hey!, let me have a unit taking damage by the mortar team, make a damage detection system and show the damage with the floating text, run the upgrade afterwards and see the results" :p
All of the effects is something unknown. I guess that, if the tooltip is indeed incomplete, no one will ever find out, unless they are full of luck ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.