• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Forum Guidelines to New Users

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 30
Hey guys, I just came up a little idea of helping newly registered users to get along normally on the forums.

Wouldn't it be great if when a user finishes the registration part, the URL will directly stay on the http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/rules-information-710/ until they are done with it. Also if they're going to leave the URL there should be a pop icon with a yes no button saying "Have you read the Rules and Guidelines?" if yes they can now browse the forums, if no they'll be stuck on the rules and guidelines URL forever.

[EDIT]

Ah damn I sounded like an extremist, anyway if its cool or lame, you can help me share some other ideas as a different route to what I posted it will somehow help our new members and our forum.

Last edited:
Level 36
A notice in the top. One that will display the first three weeks of a users registration.

I'd voice for this, it's subtle, not in the way and it'll still be noticed, furthermore,
it leaves less room for confusion if someone does anything that's against the rules.

The aforementioned suggestion leaves a kind of over-controlling taste in the mouth,
and I don't often appreciate foul breath. And much like Purg says, trying to enforce
it on the user might simply make them subconsciously more determined not read the rules.
When did you ever actually read any "Terms of Use" that you had to agree to? >.>

Being reminded of the rules existence and given leave to read them at ones own
leisure is a more comfortable way of introducing people to the rules, I'd say.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
We could make it almost like an ad "Are you new and afraid of doing anything stupid on the Hive? You might want to read this "Getting started" page.", the formulation could be changed of course, but the aim would be more to sympathize and make people uncertain? Uncertainty definitely makes people read the fine print.

Level 36
Solution:

Suggestion*

And a poor one at that, I'd say. Expecting them to be stupid isn't something we should be telling them right to their face,
let's restrict that sentiment to the unspoken realm. On the other hand, I say, we can expect our members to know what
common sense is, and if they don't we can refer them to the rules. The only change I'd like to see made is the one Ralle
suggested earlier, some notice that's visible at the top, which is both subtle and noticeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.