• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

For the record: Recoloring is not for Noobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Is anybody else tired of people saying SUcks! it is a recolor! burn da witch! ?

Well I am tired of them.

recoloring actually takes skill, seriously.

This is what takes to take a texture and recolor it to green:

Code:
SDL_Surface* GreenIFy(SDL_Surface* src)
{

//SDL_GetRGBA(Uint32 pixel, SDL_PixelFormat *fmt, Uint8 *r, Uint8 *g, Uint8 *b, Uint8 *a)

Uint32 rmask,gmask,bmask,amask;

#if SDL_BYTEORDER == SDL_BIG_ENDIAN
        rmask = 0xff000000;
        gmask = 0x00ff0000;
        bmask = 0x0000ff00;
        amask = 0x000000ff;
    #else
        rmask = 0x000000ff;
        gmask = 0x0000ff00;
        bmask = 0x00ff0000;
        amask = 0xff000000;
    #endif

Uint32 w=src->w,h=src->h;

SDL_Surface* r = SDL_CreateRGBSurface(SDL_SRCALPHA|SDL_HWSURFACE,w,h,32, rmask, gmask, bmask, amask);
   Uint8 bp= (src->format->BytesPerPixel);   
   SDL_LockSurface(r);
   SDL_LockSurface(src);

Uint32 tm=0,tm2=0;
   Uint8* src_pix= (Uint8*)(src->pixels);
   Uint8* r_pix= (Uint8*)(r->pixels);

Uint8 rd=0,g=0,b=0,a=0,aux=0;

Uint32 i,j;
   for (i=0;i<w;i++)
       for (j=0;j<h;j++)
           {
           	    tm= *((Uint32*)(src_pix));
           	    SDL_GetRGBA(tm, src->format, &rd, &g, &b, &a);

aux= (Uint32)((rd+g+b)/3);
                rd=b=0;
                g=aux;

tm = SDL_MapRGBA( r->format, rd, g ,b, a );

(*(Uint32*)(r_pix) ) = tm;
                src_pix+=bp;
                r_pix+=4;
           }

SDL_UnlockSurface(r);
   SDL_UnlockSurface(src);

return(r);

}

green.png

edit: note that those symbols were white on white background so they were invisible, after recolor they got visible, demonstrating that recolor is also very useful

Level 13
Well, it depends on the result of recoloring. If he sure has a skill on recoloring, it will produce a color combination which match to each other, doesn't hurt any eye.

I don't care about friggin code which work behind that, I will see just a result, like most of people.

I agree that recoloring sucks, eventhough someone got skill on recoloring, skinning/texturing is not only about recoloring. He can do more than just recoloring.

Level 12
Leopard said:
Well, it depends on the result of recoloring. If he sure has a skill on recoloring, it will produce a color combination which match to each other, doesn't hurt any eye.

I don't care about friggin code which work behind that, I will see just a result, like most of people.

I agree that recoloring sucks, eventhough someone got skill on recoloring, skinning/texturing is not only about recoloring. He can do more than just recoloring.

Some recolors are much better than some skins from scratch

Level 13
Vexorian said:
But I fear that at the end what matters is the result in game, the product.

We don't really need the artist's ego in game.

If anyone prefer to use recolored blizzard skin because it has blizzard style, then go ahead.

Well-recolored blizzard skin surely is good in-game, it because blizzard who made it and they are the author of the model at the first place, not because the author's skill.

The lame one is the author who feel proud with his recolored skin and publish it to the rest of the world, not the skin.

Level 9
You might as well get down to the facts: If you plan on playing the game with the ksin(s) on b.net, then chances are people won't care whether the custom material is good or not, they'll appreciate anything. I know I'd rather have a few recolours to spice up the game a bit then simply nortmal units. When it comes down to it, it's not aobut the quality, but whether it's there or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.