1. Are you planning to upload your awesome icon to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    July 8, 2018: The rules for the Icon Section have been revised. Please be sure to read the revisions.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Rubbed the right way, the genie is out of its lamp! The 12th Concept Art Contest Results have been announced.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

For Entangling Spikes

Submitted by Don Valentino
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
I draw this icon for the ability mod: Entangling Spikes by Skizzik

I can't find a fitting icon for he's mod so i made one, hope you rate and like it. thanks :)
Contents

For Entangling Spikes (Icon)

Reviews
Murlocologist
Also, as overused catchphrase of THW says, filesize too big. It is bigger than model itself. EDIT: Changes made. Approved.
  1. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Hey man, this is interesting. Can I see a big image? It looks good!

2. The Panda

The Panda

Icon Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Please tone down the red a bit, its too high contrast and throws the eye away of the point of the icon.

3. Don Valentino

Don Valentino

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Indeed, I though i needed more red tone to make it look like a spell icon, it really went too far, thanks :)

Sorry bro but the big image is outdated, its embarrassing to show. my latest edit was in 64x64 image. It's actally a messy paint of a footman helmet :p

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2017
  4. The Panda

The Panda

Icon Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Just a word of advice, these moderators are tough people, when you make icons i would take photos of your work in progress of the icon so you have something to share too them because im sure they would want one for this icon. Also i wouldnt work in 64x64 at all.. i would work with 300x300 then down size to 64x64 once done.

5. Don Valentino

Don Valentino

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Thank you sir, Next time i will do that. :)

6. GhostThruster

GhostThruster

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    the_panda gives good advice. way too much contrast. wc3 icons look smooth and colourful, but not piercing sharp saturation.

i like the helmet though, it's drawn almost perfectly. general rule of thumb though: never use pitch black for anything other than the icon's background, and don't feel the need to outline your shapes with black lines.

awaiting update.

7. Don Valentino

Don Valentino

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Thank you, So you mean i should remove the red glow on the background right? then I recolor the Vines with more color except the helmet.

8. GhostThruster

GhostThruster

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    no...

there's nothing wrong with your colouring except for the high contrast levels, as the_panda pointed out. if you're unsure of the meaning of the term "contrast" in a digital art context, it means the starkness/difference between light and shadows, as well as how bright and saturated the colours are. something high contrast means it looks sharply defined, with colours bright and piercing.

if you can send a big pic, i'll point out exactly what i mean on it.

9. Murlocologist

Murlocologist

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    I'd say it's well drawn, especially considering the perspective. Well, when it comes to archiving the style of wc3 icons, vanilla screenshot based icons shouldn't be the guide. And vanilla footman icon is not a very good as it used high contrast and a lot of strong highlights. Your helmet would in my opinion fit more if range of hue saturation and contrast was like in this icon:
    [​IMG]
    And for thorns, try to make them less cartoon stylized and add more shading in order to get 3d feel. For color, it is too dark, red highlight overpowers thorns. Also vine red is rare in icons from my knowledge.

10. Don Valentino

Don Valentino

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    So, here is my newly edited icon compare to the old version. What do you thinks? NEW[​IMG] OLD[​IMG]

11. Murlocologist

Murlocologist

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Overall it is good enough for approval, but the thorns in updated version are lacking in my opinion. They are now too bright, try to go somewhere in-between of color in this and previous version. Their shape was better in previous version. Add some spikes and give thorns as much shading as you gave to the helmet and it will be good to go.

12. Don Valentino

Don Valentino

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Thank you, Will do! I've been waiting for this :D

13. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It's a bit unclear what it depicts but you can think of things.
    3/5.

14. Murlocologist

Murlocologist

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Also, as overused catchphrase of THW says, filesize too big. It is bigger than model itself.

EDIT: Changes made. Approved.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  15. xDeathKnightx

xDeathKnightx

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Reminds me of 'Uroboros' from the resident evil series, I like it. 5/5