• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Footprint Manipulation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Moderators, if you could, please move the thread to the World Editor Help Zone.
It's not triggering...is it scripting? I don't know what scripting is so maybe it's scripting...
if so then it can stay here.

I would like to find out if there is a way to make unit footprints last longer than they normally do. Also I would like to be able to temporarily cause all footprints on the map to not go away...basically freezing the tracks in the dirt, if you will. I got the idea from sweeping the sidewalk today I saw the dirt held the tracks of the shoes of the people walking on the ground. I figure it would be cool to have a Chaser freeze the tracks of the Runner, or vice versa. And it would be good anyway for my map if there was a way for me to simply extend the length of time that the footprints are visible. I have invisible units and I want them to be more easily seen by their footprints. My map is a hunting game, so I think extending the lifespan of the footprints would really make my map more realistic, and more fun to play.

Last edited:
Level 13
So I found out a way to modify the footprints...I'll explain it to the rest of you. Maybe some of you will give it a try...anyway I am having a hard time figuring the footprints out exactly like what the fields do. The SLK edit program I am using does not well explain what you can edit what those fields do. Well anyway I can do fun stuff like make the tracks bigger and turn the left side tracks green and the right red and so on.

Use War3ModelEditor to open war3x.mpq and find Splats\SplatData.slk and extract that.
Then use slk edit program to open that file. Footprint information is under all the 4 digit names that start with F. For Testing purposes I started with the FT ones, there are only two of them and they work for most or all trolls. Last step is of course save the slk as something somewhere that you get your map's imports. Then import the slk into your map and make the imported name be "Splats\SplatData.slk". Then you save the map and exit the editor and load the map up again.

I can't tell you much more than that because I haven't really mastered editing footprints, but I thought I should deliver an update. I got the idea mostly from the editing weather tutorial called unleash your weather in another forum.

I'll link to the files you need.
War3 Model Editor - The Hive Workshop - A Warcraft III Modding Site
http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=112038&highlight=weather
I don't know where the slk edit file is besides in the above thread, heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.