• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Footmen Arena Idea (terrain, image)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
My side project while I work on The Path of Chaos ;D

attachment.php

So here is my idea for a concept footmen wars map.

If you look at the terrain, you'll notice different types of tiles.

The black tiles (black marble) are not buildable.

There are 3 sizes of buildings-
small
medium
large

If you look, you'll see 4 bases (1 on each corner of the map)

In the back of the bases are 3 large tiles (12 total)
Inside of the base are 3 medium tiles (12 total)
On left, top, right, bottom, and center of map is a medium tile (5 total)
Scattered through out the map are small tiles

Towers can be placed on small tiles
Spawning buildings can be placed on medium
Shops can be placed on large

If you look more at the map, you'll notice that teams can attack the center or their neighbors.

There are many positions to place towers in front of a base. While holding the center can allow a player to control the game (attack any base), they will be forced into the powerful front entrances of each base.

If you look at the sides of the bases, you'll notice positions for towers there as well as something of a backdoor. These side positions are elevated above bases as well as the center of the map. They are very good defensive positions and are great attack positions for hitting specific bases. If a team controlled both side positions (each side of the team), that team could essentially hold off/possibly wipe out both their neighbors. These positions are extremely powerful. They can also lay siege to the center. However, each side position only controls a quarter of the map.

If you look at the medium tiles, you'll notice 3 different types.

Type inside of bases (white marble)
Type on left, right, bottom, and top
Type in center

Based on the type, a player can get bonus spawns. The types in bases give no bonus. The types on sides give +1 bonus. The type in center gives +3 bonus.

So each base can spawn a maximum of 3 (3 spawners, 1 per spawn)
Each side can spawn 2
Center can spawn 4

The center can be extremely powerful (1 player can face off against an entire team).

The sides can hold off players.

If you look, it is difficult to claim the sides. There are tower positions at the back entrance of each base that can target the spawn point. This means that the person has to first take the side position before they can take control of the spawn point. If a player controls a side position, there is almost no way to get it back. This is because the entrances to side positions are extremely small. Because of the towers along the side positions, 1/3 of a base will be lost as well as the center.

Each side position can hit the center. This means that controlling the center is extremely difficult and can even be near suicide. However, if one can manage to hold the center, they can virtually win the game.

Shops are extremely important for hero gear and engineers. Shops have to be built, and there are 12 specialized shops. This means that a team can build a variety of 3 shops as part of their strategy. Each shop contains an engineer for building spawning buildings. Players may use engineers from other shops to build the fortresses.

Each player starts with 1 shop builder (they only get 1) and 1 hero. Each shop costs 1000 gold. Each shop can only build 1 type of engineer. Each engineer costs 1000 gold. Engineers move quite slowly and have low hp. They are rather easy to kill, so be sure that engineers are well protected when moving into a combat zone.

Essentially, it is impossible to take any of the side spawning zones or center early in the game as engineers could easily be targeted.

Each building can spawn 6 types of spawns. These spawns cost a certain amount of gold each. Each building can only spawn a certain amount. Upgrading a building increases how many spawns a building can have inside of it.

This means that if a player were to for example buy 6 archer spawns, that building would then spawn 6 archers at a time. If they were to do this with a +1 bonus, that building would spawn 12 archers (cost of 6 both in gold and in building's max spawn count). In the center, 6 would turn into 24.

Spawns can be sold back for 75% of the cost.

A player loses when their hero (general) dies.

So, what do you guys think? I could complicate it more w/ morale and so on, but I'm trying to keep it simple =).

Attachments

• Footmen Arena.jpg
    Footmen Arena.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 400
Last edited:
Level 19
I like the overall idea of the spawns and towers.. but I don't think you'll have enough place to hold all those units controlled from players.

Yet the hero (general) idea is kind of new, but it would cause many problems with newbies, since you could always block with 6+ units and instantly win (defeat a player, otherwise).

Terrain is also really simple and flat.. also those cliffs (as I mentioned above) will cause problems with pathing and unit placement.

Level 31
Well, it's meant to be a footmen wars map, so it would be simple and flat ^)^. I just worked on the strategy portion, which was spawn building, shop building, and tower building positions ;).

also those cliffs (as I mentioned above) will cause problems with pathing and unit placement.

For unit placement, I'll work something out so that they don't ; ). Already came up with an idea ; ).

edit
And yea, you could easily spawn like 100 units at each spawning point in the team areas w/o any pathing issues. Anyways, if someone is even spawning like 40 units there, they've prob lost the game already.

Level 31
Oh, I just wanted to share the arena and general game concept ^)^.

Atm, I've already come up with 15 different very unique units, 1 hero, and 0 upgrades, haha...

I'm coding a Bonus system atm so that I can do some cool stuff ; ).

edit
btw, the terrain and strategy in this is a lot better than your avg footmen wars map : (

Level 31
So here are some new ideas...

-all units but buildings and heroes have sight range of 0
-save/load with wins and trophies
-getting trophies allows players to unlock new heroes/races
-AI on computer with a difficult setting between 1 and 100 (% strength)
-trophies retrieved in challenges

another idea is that the regular unlocked races have low skill variance. This means that they will be easy to use, but will have low potential. So a pro vs a beginner would result in around the same strength. However, advanced races would have high skill variance. A beginner on them would lose to a beginner using a regular race as the unlocked races are harder to use. However, a pro would do a lot better on these =).

The trophies would show that a player is good enough to use the harder races and give the players some stuff to unlock ;D.

Status
Not open for further replies.