• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Folder Hierarchy for Custom Models

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
Hello here :)

I'm importing many custom models recently and I have the feeling that the way folders are ordered (when downloading them) is the biggest time sink of my process.

Having to go into each single folder to find things I want to import is kind of tedious and could be avoided by packing assets that should be imported within the same folder, effectively enabling us to use the "Import All Files", targeting this folder.

Let me know if I'm not being clear or if there's something obvious I'm missing.

Have a good week-end!

For example, this: Each single folder contains 1 or 2 file(s) I have to go fetch.
upload_2020-8-1_14-20-33.png

EDIT:
Also, Camel Case should be enforced to be able to use Alphabetical parser properly.
upload_2020-8-1_14-45-3.png

Also, additional files such as Face_FX and Icons should be included in the download folder to avoid being forced to manually parse each asset page when doing mass import.
upload_2020-8-1_14-45-43.png

EDIT2: Also maybe enforce a naming convention such as "unitname_materialtype_part".

Last edited:

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
The folder generation happens on download so it can easily be changed. The way it's done now was the simplest with as few edge cases. If two models both have a texture with the same name we'd have to compare them and if they're the same put them in folders anyway, etc. There are a lot of things to consider. It's on my list to make it better, it's just simpler this way right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.