• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Floating Text "Model"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
I'm curious how feasible/realistic it would be to have numeric models ranging from 0 - 9999 or higher.
I've seen models like Generic bar which uses this command to differentiate between 100 states:
JASS:
call SetUnitAnimationByIndex(barUnit, VALUE_BETWEEN_0_AND_100)

Typical RPGs or of the Final Fantasy flavour have a rather animated way they show numerical values, be it bubbly and green for a heal:
Ff12_curega_curaja.jpg

Or using a exploding image in the background to signify a crit
hqdefault.jpg

Maple story is well known for their damage text, in fact they have begun selling fonts for different "styles"
dsnmgh726-updated.jpg

(roman numerals???)

It doesn't need to stop at numbers either, below you can see it also involves status effects like "Miss"
WpRKYDD.png

Floating Text is normally limited to the editor and can only reach 100 instances before failing, but with the special effect modification triggers we can manipulate models as special effects instead; However, My knowledge of modeling is zip, so this may be my "FINAL FANTASY" on the matter and not reality.
Please speak your mind of the subject and any concerns.

Attachments

• WpRKYDD.png
    WpRKYDD.png
    102.7 KB · Views: 116
Level 20
All special effects are already models and to do what you're saying is already possible (although with varying degrees of difficulty since the damage number thing is obviously more involved than putting up a "Miss!" message). You just need to figure out when to show it, make the effect, and destroy it, just like any other effect.

A model with a "Miss!" on it is perhaps simply a billboarded 4 pixel plane with a simple animation making it rise up in the air.

Level 24
@Razorclaw_X
But is it possible to do flash card like progression with textures?

Making it go through stages... Starting at 0 and quickly cycling through to 9, with
  • Special Effect - Timescale X.XX
we can easily manipulate the speed at which it cycles or simple set it with the Jass code in my original post to which stage you want, if you see the Progressbar V2 you can see in the model birth the health bar slowly fills, think this with the numeric count building to 0 - 9 or to 99, & 999, would that be possible or too memory intensive to be able to achieve that?

(also on another note I thought special effect icon was golden acorn...)

Level 20
You can make as many as 255 animations and use the play animation by index native if you want to do it that way, but you already know that way is crazy inefficient; all numbers use the same ten numerals.

And beside which what you're asking is at odds with your examples you posted-- all of those only post the final result.

Status
Not open for further replies.