• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Floating text follow a unit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
I want to make floating text follow a unit, but it's proving to be difficult.

I also looked around for number models, that would work too, but I cant find them.

I'm making objects orbit around a central object with polar offsets 20 degrees at a time, I tried setting the floating text's velocity to a similiar polar offset, but it just ended up floating off the screen.

Any ideas?

You can easily make it each 0.1 seconds without lags. Btw, it's no good idea to use it for more than hundred units. You cant have more than ~100 floatings at one time, they would overwrite each other if you create more. I don't know exact limit.

If your map lags, it's for sure any other trigger that causes it. Using "Pick every unit" each 0.01 seconds for example would cause heavy lags, or if you have memory leaks in periodic trigger, too.

If you don't know anything about memory leaks you can read a tutorial. You find a link in my signature.

Level 9
I just make it spam every 0.01 to change it's position.

I was able to get 100 text out no problem, and no lag.

Ofc I need to clean all my ****ing leaks, but that's one of the last things I'll go back in do.

Horray for cowboy coding!

Status
Not open for further replies.