• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Floating Text - Damage&Spells v2

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
A simple yet very useful system made from scratch mainly for my Arena map, but also looks good in RPG's or other maps.The triggering is pretty simple but I think this is pretty useful.

Creates floating texts whenever a unit takes damage or casts a spell, pretty self explaining, but check the map to see it in action!
-Player colored floating texts
-Can be configured
-MUI
-MPI
-Now Leakless

-Now uses Weep's damage detection to prevent leaks
-Added an example condition to prevent dummies from showing text on casting spells

• Configuration
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set tempGroup = (Units in (Playable map area))
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in tempGroup and do (Trigger - Add to Floating Spell Name <gen> the event (Unit - (Picked unit) Starts the effect of an ability))
      • Custom script: call DestroyGroup(udg_tempGroup)
      • -------- Configure the duration and size of the floating texts --------
      • Set Text_Duration = 2.00
      • Set TextSize_dmg = 7.50
      • Set TextSize_spells = 10.00
      • -------- - --------
      • -------- These are strings to make the floating texts use the matching players colors --------
      • -------- Neutral Hostile will be using white --------
      • Set PlayerColors[1] = |c00FF0303
      • Set PlayerColors[2] = |c000042FF
      • Set PlayerColors[3] = |c001CE6B9
      • Set PlayerColors[4] = |c00540081
      • Set PlayerColors[5] = |c00FFFC01
      • Set PlayerColors[6] = |c00fEBA0E
      • Set PlayerColors[7] = |c0020C000
      • Set PlayerColors[8] = |c00E55BB0
      • Set PlayerColors[9] = |c00959697
      • Set PlayerColors[10] = |c007EBFF1
      • Set PlayerColors[11] = |c00106246
      • Set PlayerColors[12] = |c004E2A04
  • Configuration2
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit enters (Playable map area)
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Trigger - Add to Floating Spell Name <gen> the event (Unit - (Triggering unit) Starts the effect of an ability)
  • Floating Spell Name
    • Events
    • Conditions
      • (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Not equal to dummy unit (example)
    • Actions
      • Floating Text - Create floating text that reads (PlayerColors[(Player number of (Owner of (Triggering unit)))] + (Name of (Ability being cast))) above (Triggering unit) with Z offset 0.00, using font size TextSize_spells, color (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%), and 0.00% transparency
      • Floating Text - Set the velocity of (Last created floating text) to 100.00 towards 90.00 degrees
      • Floating Text - Change (Last created floating text): Disable permanence
      • Floating Text - Change the lifespan of (Last created floating text) to Text_Duration seconds
      • Floating Text - Change the fading age of (Last created floating text) to 0.65 seconds
  • Floating Damage Taken
    • Events
      • Game - GDD_Event becomes Equal to 0.00
    • Conditions
      • GDD_Damage Greater than 1.00
    • Actions
      • Floating Text - Create floating text that reads (PlayerColors[(Player number of (Owner of GDD_DamageSource))] + (String((Integer(GDD_Damage))))) above GDD_DamagedUnit with Z offset 0.00, using font size TextSize_dmg, color (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%), and 0.00% transparency
      • Floating Text - Set the velocity of (Last created floating text) to 100.00 towards 90.00 degrees
      • Floating Text - Change (Last created floating text): Disable permanence
      • Floating Text - Change the lifespan of (Last created floating text) to Text_Duration seconds
      • Floating Text - Change the fading age of (Last created floating text) to 0.65 seconds

Keywords:
system, floating text, floating, text, damage, spell, magic, color, player, colored, rpg, arena, cleaving, AoE
Contents

Floating Text - Damage&Spells v2 (Map)

Reviews
12th Dec 2015 IcemanBo: Too long time as NeedsFix. Rejected. 13:08, 30th May 2011 Maker: You're registering the event even for units that can't cast abilities. Why do you register the event for all units, why not use Unit - A unit Starts the...

M

12th Dec 2015
IcemanBo: Too long time as NeedsFix. Rejected.

13:08, 30th May 2011
Maker:
You're registering the event even for units that can't cast abilities.
Why do you register the event for all units, why not use Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability event
?

SpasMaster

Hosted Project: SC
Level 23
My thoughts on this System:

[+]From what I see, it's leakless.
[+]It's properley working, and it's not causing bugs.
[+]I like the hovering spell names!
[+]Easy to understand and import.
[+]The hovering damage has it color set to the one who is doing the damage.

[=]Healing could be added. Would be cool.

5/5 from me. Getting it in my map in no time. Credits will be given :)

Level 12
Best Dmg System i haved seen (pwn any vJass Sys)
5/5
My rewiew is the same
[+]From what I see, it's leakless.
[+]It's properley working, and it's not causing bugs.
[+]I like the hovering spell names!
[+]Easy to understand and import.
[+]The hovering damage has it color set to the one who is doing the damage.

[=]Healing could be added. Would be cool.

5/5 from me. Getting it in my map in no time. Credits will be given :)

Level 9
Here's how an event leak occurs (quoted from Weep).

1. You add an event to a trigger.
2. The event loses relevance (eg. if it's a unit event, and the unit gets removed from the game.)
3. You don't do anything else, and now there's a useless event attached to a trigger taking up memory.

To combat this, use dynamic triggers; supposedly, destroying a trigger destroys its events and conditions, but not its actions. (I'm just going by what I've read that others have reported, and how many systems are coded.)

Level 9
I implemented Weep's system just to make it leakless.

I haven't found any other system like this one uploaded in hive and I have no doubt some people will find good use of it, since it can be used almost in any map.

Also, I don't think it needs to be complicated to be useful, since most of our community doesn't know much on triggering.

Level 5
Neat system.
I am going to use this system in my project for sure.
My opinion 5/5 reasons:
- first time a Jass code did not crash (with my editor)
- works properly
- good documentation (in my opinion)
- really useful for: rpg maps, melee maps, and almost anything else
+ rep and vote for approval.

Level 5
It's a very usefull system.

Just 1 problem. When you cast shadow strike ( Miev's ability ) there is allready floating text to it. And i dont want 2 text's coming up, how to fix that?

Level 5
Could you configure it so we could also see healing,
Because that would be really sweet & Awesome for ORPG players/creators

Fud

Fud

Level 3
It will create double text for Critical Strikes, wind walk, and shadow strike...
also like everyone else said please add healing (though you've probably run out of colors by now ><.)

You could make healing displays yellow white and bigger than others with "+" on each side... this would easily distinguish it from the damage...