• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Fix normals (shadows) on the model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! How i can fix those ugly normals on that model? I know that this may be a repeated question, but i still did not understood a best possible option to fix them easily each time this issue appear. So, maybe can someone help me or guide me how they are usually can be fixed with saving all animations and everything?
f3LV1ZUqF4U.jpg

Attachments

• Saruman Normals.rar
    383.6 KB · Views: 27
Is that a RIP model? Perhaps there are vertices between the chest and the lower part of the body that can be removed. Maybe that's what's causing it.
Hmm, yes, you was right, there was a few vertexes that was pointless on the lower part of body, however, it did not made a much difference after i removed them, the normals still not ideal, i believe there might be a way to calculate them, because fixing it by hand is an option, but this is a much time cost and not very accurate way to fix this.

You can fix this by selecting the vertices of the seam (overlapping vertices of two different geosets) and then clicking the "Average normals of selected vertices" button.
View attachment 364304
Sure, i did that, model looks way better now, but still not the best as this is manual way to fix. Anyways that a way. So thanks everyone, however, i still believe that there is more faster and right way to fix that. Also, when i did such operation with normals in MDLvis, i've got an error in War3ModelEdidor saying something about "MDVI Group" or like that. So this a working way, but in the same time can broke model. But it works in game well. In all being said, this is a way, but not a perfect or a good way, but working way.

Level 20
Does it actually work for you? I tried it on a few different models and it doesn't seem to do anything.
It generally works for me (although you need to use the more later builds; the earlier builds it doesn't work). One thing for sure, though, is Mdlvis can't fix anything about Normals and it'll only make things worse.

The thing about the Retera calculator is in some cases you have to babysit it a bit because sometimes you'll come across a mesh where the facings are all over the place; you want to at least try to make it so everything is facing the same direction on the model first before you start seeing some good results.

With ported/ripped models you are not guaranteed that all of the faces are facing outward.

It's been a long time since this thread created, however, i was able to fix those normals in 3ds max. There were actually a lot of polygons that was flipped wrong and more vertexes that was not welded together. I've also done some other edit. Now all this fixed and you can take that model if you want!
saruman.png

Attachments

• SarumanFix.zip
    667.2 KB · Views: 14
Status
Not open for further replies.