• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

First Person Shooting (FPS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 29
if someone is kind enough and want to share their knowledge in WE, please help me with the following;

1) i have a problem with arrow key movements, particularly UP=Move forward, and DOWN=Move backwards. How to do this?

2) for shooting targets, i used player sellects unit, but i't too easy to hit the target . I want something that a player can "miss" the hit.

3) lastly, the cursor of the target/mouse (sniper type), how is it done?

thanks in advance

Level 14
There are trigger events that say something like "<player> presses left arrow key" and such.

You said you had problems with this, what problems exactly?

2. You could use attack ground instead of just select, and have the unit fire with 0 projectile arc.

3. In Advanced Settings there is a custom interface option. Somewhere in there is the model for curses. You'll have to download a sniper target somewhere and import it into your map. Then go to advanced settings and overwrite it.

Some advice: it sounds like you're very new to the editor. FPS are very hard and almost impossible to do right... I've never played one that felt much like a FPS. I'd recommend starting with something else.

Level 29
There are trigger events that say something like "<player> presses left arrow key" and such.

You said you had problems with this, what problems exactly?

Left and Right arrow is OK, but Up ang Down is not, you see, i want when i press up, the unit moves forward, when i press down, the unit moves backwards.

2. You could use attack ground instead of just select, and have the unit fire with 0 projectile arc.

the problem of this is what is i shoot up?

3. In Advanced Settings there is a custom interface option. Somewhere in there is the model for curses. You'll have to download a sniper target somewhere and import it into your map. Then go to advanced settings and overwrite it.

never done that before, i'll try it :)

Some advice: it sounds like you're very new to the editor. FPS are very hard and almost impossible to do right... I've never played one that felt much like a FPS. I'd recommend starting with something else.

lol, :), no im not, but im not like others that are so good, and i dont know JASS either, now im doing an expirement on NAZI ZOMBIES, with FPS system and it really works, i will post it in the map development once i completed the 3rd installment campaign i'm making - 'Shattered Kingdoms'

in all, thanks for your help :)

Level 3
Tip on FPS

When you make your camera, don't base it off of the unit's facing angle if you have target-unit abilities. (It will turn on it's own to cast them and the cam changes, not really a huge inconvenience but one you could avoid)

Remember that if your going to use attack ground, trigger it to only damage the zombie in front. Otherwise, you will have a pistol taking out a line of zombies.

When using target-unit spells, remember that they take the player's time to line up the shot. Fully automatic guns will be annoying to shoot with unless you really make them fully automatic.

Knockback is what you want with your powerful guns.

Work on the lighting before the doodads. A dark creepy hall is more scary than a bright one filled with dead bodies and blood. Here's the custom script i used to get the map pitch black, "call SetDayNightModels("","")" If you want light, add in a doodad with the omnilight model.

But most of all, don't sacrifice ur convenience for the sake of time. Make everything so smooth for the player that even a monkey can do it.

Level 29
When you make your camera, don't base it off of the unit's facing angle if you have target-unit abilities. (It will turn on it's own to cast them and the cam changes, not really a huge inconvenience but one you could avoid)

Remember that if your going to use attack ground, trigger it to only damage the zombie in front. Otherwise, you will have a pistol taking out a line of zombies.

When using target-unit spells, remember that they take the player's time to line up the shot. Fully automatic guns will be annoying to shoot with unless you really make them fully automatic.

Knockback is what you want with your powerful guns.

Work on the lighting before the doodads. A dark creepy hall is more scary than a bright one filled with dead bodies and blood. Here's the custom script i used to get the map pitch black, "call SetDayNightModels("","")" If you want light, add in a doodad with the omnilight model.

But most of all, don't sacrifice ur convenience for the sake of time. Make everything so smooth for the player that even a monkey can do it.

i already solved the problem with UP, LEFT and RIGHT movements but i'm having troubles with the DOWN movement.

i used face the triggering unit when clicking the target so that the attacking make sense, but the problem still is the cursor like sniper, i cant get it right.

i will make my map as creepy as possible with sounds that haunt your heart, lol!

this map of mine is very hard without the DOWN arrow movement, so i need someone to figure it out please?

Status
Not open for further replies.