• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

FIRST GAMEPLAY VID IS OUT! -Island Survival

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
Hey, just dropping by to share the development of a game project of mine as bachelor thesis assignment.

Names "Island Survival", it's a crafting-based sandbox survival role playing game. In this game you will take a role as an adventurer stranded in a wild island. You mainly have to survive by making use of anything available in the nature. You can create stuffs, like tools, weapons, and even structures. And you can also hunt for wild animals. Taking inspiration a lot from Ark: Survival Evolved, only without dino and no taming. There are only some modern animals like bear, moose, boar, and alike. In this game I tend to bring high quality and beautiful realistic environment to make your adventure in this island even more enjoyable.

Here are some screens:
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg Screen1.jpg Screen2.jpg Screen3.jpg Screen4.jpg Screen5.jpg

Just a small preview of environmental detail in the game.
Animated.gif

I will rarely visit this site tho. If you happen to be interested in following the development, just visit my youtube playlist. It contains pretty much every progress I'm making in the project. I shared my project here because maybe one day I will upload the game here and hold some kind of survey or public testing as part of my thesis.

Kazeon

Level 33
Hey, thanks for the comment guys!

Things like this make me cringe at wc3 graphics, and to achieve the best in wc3 it requires so much more than stuff in unity.. sigh
Well, those two are hardly comparable. But as funny as it sounds, some things are still better in wc3 than in Unity, especially on terraining part. In Unity, I'd personally say, it's awfully inconvenient. And some other stuffs too like asset gathering, etc.

And I wouldn't say that Unity is so big on graphic as well. Some other engines like UE4 will put Unity to absolute shame. It's much more effortless to achieve top-notch graphic in those engines than in Unity. Just for example for this game of mine I spent at least 4 weeks to achieve decent graphic quality, yet it's still hardly comparable to those of other engines that can be achieve within few hours.

Anyway I'd like to share this demo vid I just uploaded, it's about the water effect I'd worked for the past several weeks (not effectively tho).
It's not that bad so check it out!

Last edited:

Kazeon

Level 33
Just a showcase.

Beach area:
SS_0010_Layer 1.jpg

SS_0009_Layer 2.jpg

SS_0001_Layer 10.jpg

SS_0000_Layer 11.jpg

A small cave:
SS_0008_Layer 3.jpg

Right above the cave (incomplete):
SS_0003_Layer 8.jpg

SS_0002_Layer 9.jpg

Forest area, still kinda empty:
SS_0004_Layer 7.jpg

The reflection effect I've been busting my butt on:
SS_0005_Layer 6.jpg

Underwater effect (distortion & blurry graphic for more realistic underwater effect):
SS_0007_Layer 4.jpg

The project also went through tons of other improvements, I mean other than visual improvements. But it's not worth mentioning.

Attachments

• SS_0006_Layer 5.jpg
    SS_0006_Layer 5.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 121

Kazeon

Level 33
Hello. I want to share a vid about a new system I created so called: texture dissolving system. In short it emulates texture dissolving, duh.

Advantages:
[+] Multi-instanceable. Multiple objects may have their own dissolving animation at a time.
[+] Does not rely on shared materials.
[+] Plug & play: attach a single script, determine the alpha map, and then the object is ready to dissolve!
[+] Reverse & replayable dissolving animation.
[+] Compatible with multiple shaders: cutout shader family. Including standard shaders, speed tree shaders, etc.
[+] It does not require specific shader for the object materials.
[+] Does not interfere with material's default alpha cutoff.
[+] Alpha map does not interfere with default texture's transparency.

Disadvantages:
[-] Requires pre-loading for textures in each material (only once). Load time depends on texture sizes.
[-] Does not use shader, which probably means it's slower.
[-] Overrides object materials' color alpha (transparency).

I haven't stress-tested this system tho.

Kazeon

Level 33
4 new vids! With this the crafting system is completed!

I can't yet but eager to show the gameplay but it requires me to work on the animal AI, whereas the animal assets will cost me 12 bucks, which is a lot for me :D So I'll keep it for the last. :grin:

EDIT:
Holy crap! How did the last 3 vids captured an exact same moment whereas the vids length are different to each other?! Coincidence?

Last edited:

Kazeon

Level 33
So, even without me realizing, things are finally coming out together and formed a very solid gameplay. The finish line is clearly visible from here on, after weeks and months of merciless hard works. So I took a little rest and recorded this video to overview how it turns out and to look for the defects. Obviously, it's still not perfect yet, many holes & emptiness here and there. I made the video literally right after doing the I've-did-it-sigh-of-relief, without a single tweak or preparation whatsoever. I'm glad there were only a few defects despite how rushed it was in development. Still, there are some other complementary features I need to add to the game, pheww!

Anyway, let me know what do ye think of the game! Good? Potential? Suxx? Or do you have suggestions and ideas? Just leave a comment below thanks!

Kazeon

Level 33
Ahh.. It's finally done! So this is what I've come up with two months of frikin' butt-busting works. Glad it doesn't turn out being a total mess despite all the rushes : D

Island Survival is a.. well.. survival game.. where you can do A LOT of things like gathering resources for survival purpose, hunting animals, mining metal ores, building houses, and heck, even doing barbecues : D The primary goal is of course to survive as long as possible. Then you can create even more advanced tools to lessen the survival struggles. You can also explore a 25.000 km2 island and discover multiple sites like beaches, forests, meadows, swamps, highlands, etc. You can try to build your houses in those sites, even tho each has its own level of difficulties.

This video will show you one (or some) part of the gameplay, which is creating the sword weapon (and slaying some creatures with it). Anyway, please let me know what do you think of the game? Thanks in advance~

This game has A LOT of rooms to expand. So, beyond my thesis program, it will be great to have someone helping me to develop the game even further.

Last edited:
Level 8
Two months to achieve such a game is impressive to say the least.
Did you developed and funded it all by yourself?

It behaves very smilar to ARK game series (your inspiration?), but with a slower tempo.
Graphics are charming enough. I like the lightning effects and the day cycle.
Has lots of details to polish, but i will not refere to that aspect.
I dig that UI. Status icon bar (on the right) is not that notorious tho. I'm fond of fading UI, but that is just me.

Game experience will be focused on Multi (like a short brawler extravaganza) or Single (like a single player survival rpg) Player?

Keep up the good work!

Kazeon

Level 33
Did you developed and funded it all by yourself?
Yes I did. Altho I bought some 3D assets (like some plants, animals, and tools) from the asset store while the rest are just free assets scattered around the net.

It behaves very smilar to ARK game series (your inspiration?), but with a slower tempo.
Graphics are charming enough. I like the lightning effects and the day cycle.
I'm planning to make this game much more realistic and focuses more on the survival mechanism. At the moment yes, it has a lot of similarities compared to Ark. But Ark focuses more on advancing your technologies (with all of those futuristic stuffs). While this game, later, will focus more on primitive technologies. EDIT: And yes Ark is my inspiration.

Game experience will be focused on Multi (like a short brawler extravaganza) or Single (like a single player survival rpg) Player?
It will be single player only. hehe

Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.