• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Firearms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I have a question about the Early Modern warfare when firearms were used much more, but still there were pikemen, axemen, cuirassiers, hussars, swashbucklers, halberdiers... How did they fight against musketeers, arquebusiers, dragoons, carabiniers... They had the armour, but firearms can pierce through armour. I think that example a unit of swashbucklers attacks arquebusiers, while running, many of swashbucklers would die. It is hard to realise how Polish hussars could beat shooters, cause their armour is not the best in the world (though they were the last to abandon armour), still Polish hussar's armour can be pierced by firearms. I think it would take a lot of bravery for Polish hussars to charge on shooters.

Why did melee soldiers exist in that time, when firearms can pierce through armour. Here is a example, in the Last Samurai movie, mounted samurais attack the Americans, while charging they lost a lot of samurai and not much samurais survived. I think the samurais wanted to keep the tradition to be warriors, I think also that the warriors of Europe also wanted to keep tradition. Even later armour was worn, Cuirassiers worn it in 18th century, nobles and monarchs wore plate armour in the 18th century.

Define early modern. If you mean fire and sword era, unlike the second example you mentioned, they didn't have gattling guns, which made a big impact, like repeating firearms.

In musket era, even though they pierced armor, they were slow to reload and if you missed a shot (which was normal due to low accuracy), you didn't get a second chance. And of course few bullets of those volleys actually hit the target, so if the chargers weren't heavily outnumbered they could easily reach them. And I don't think it pierced the armor at greater distances.

Level 7
well here are two reasons
1 muskets could not stop a cavalry charge at all, you try hitting a horse with a single shot from a smooth bore gun(you aren't going to) and even if you hit it, you probably wouldn't kill it, and once the cavalry got in close and broke through to the middle of their ranks, their muskets they would kill more of each other then enemy. bayonets weren't as effective as pole-arms as a weapon, pole arms could stop the cavalry before they got close.

2 most armor made during the late High era/early renaissance could stop a musket balls at relativity close range, note this is for muskets made during that period and doesn't apply.

Level 12
After 1650, the westerners mainly adopted the flintlock, the flintlock is the most advanced shooting type. So the flintlocks could hit a full plated soldier at long range even without accuracy. I wonder how did Polish hussars fought at battle of Vienna (1683) and they won. I think firearms determined the battle after 1650, the Polish hussars maybe were a lot brave or had luck. Also bayonet was developed, it just added some spear to the gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.