• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Finding advanced optimization tools, need great helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
I used to adjust Vexorian Optimizer to redude map loading (according to somebody suggestion) for UB project. It did reduce map loading time but too bad, the size is increased by 20% bigger. I am going to convert all custom sound file to mp3 and hope it will reduce the map size.

I have no experience about which software can further decrease the file size beside of VO. Maybe you guys have better solution to this, please? (Optional) without opening more potential problems?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Your map must have really a lot of content if the 128 MB limit is a problem... Since most of that is assets I recommend looking to optimize them as they will offer the biggest space savings. With custom textures consider using at most 80% quality JPEG compressions as that is what Blizzard used to encode BLP files. Very small models do not need high definition textures as the details might not be visible most of the time. Generally models do not need to be optimized but some tools exist that can reduce their file size significantly at the cost of some quality. Since most audio sources are not sampled at 48MHz one can reduce the sample rate while keeping high quality, however I am not sure if WC3 will support such files.

If you still need to save more space you need to run through what assets are critical to be kept. Assets that are seldom used, are visually trivial or extremely large with little return will have to be removed from the map.

Level 14
some tools exist that can reduce their file size significantly at the cost of some quality
Do we have any tools here in Hive, please? I'm ready to lower quality of some heavy and HD contents if that is necessary.

Also, how can I detect some unused textures (blp) for each unused model (mdx) with faster ways? Normally, I have to convert a blp file and see list of relevant textures which takes lot of time.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Also, how can I detect some unused textures (blp) for each unused model (mdx) with faster ways? Normally, I have to convert a blp file and see list of relevant textures which takes lot of time.
Open it in notepad. The texture chunk is near the top. The texture paths are ASCII strings in that chunk. You know them when you see them because everything else around them appears as garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.