• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Final Fantasy Materia RPG Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAG

SAG

Level 2
A long time ago i created this map i named "Final Fantasy Materia Rpg", i created most of the units, spells, items and terrain but never finished its quests and bugtesting before i went tired of the map and started playing Wow instead of warcraft 3. The map is maybe 75% done.

The map had its own spell/materia system where you don't pick spells as you level but rather get them from using materia (items) and level them with their seperate xp (Ability Points or AP) to gain new spells. The different heroes has a set of Limit Breaks that cost no mana but have longer cooldowns the materia, to level the Limit Breaks you had to kill a certain amount of enemies.

The point of the game would simply be starting at the start town Midgaar, and work your way down into the meteor crater and kill the end boss. To get there you would have to kill some bosses, find some transport veichles (Like the Tiny Bronco, Highwind, Beach Buggy and Chocobos), and solve a couple of quests. There is plenty of secrets scattered along the way, most of them unlock as you near the end and get the Highwind. For the moment the map has no real ending after killing sepiroth, you can still run around and collect more secrets and the bosses respawns after a while.

Now im thinking about finishing the map and it would be great if some of you could test it out and tell me what you think of it. Is it worth wasting any more time on, does it contain bugs when played in multiplayer, should i change the spellsystem and so on.

Chocobo Farm.jpg Crater.jpg Scenery.jpg Wutai.jpg

Attachments

• Sag's FFMRPG V0.8 Protected.w3x
    670.2 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
Level 3
I'd be happy to test your map. I'm working on a FF map myself, seeing how someone else approached the genre is always nice. I should be able to give you my review soon.

If the map is good, I'll expect you to finish it!

Level 3
Well, here's mine:

Good:
-a random encounter system that does not require all kinds of moving around, locking cameras, or slowing things down at all.
-Lots of open space, this does not force team play, but the style of the map encourages it.
-Well balanced enemies, I never felt overwhelmed, but every battle was a struggle (note: I played it single player)

Bad:
-You forgot to set a trigger to remove the floating text... it just sits there.
-I wasn't able to find out how to buy chocobo materia, so the swamp was a path I couldn't cross.
-I couldn't find a way to customize anything about the character... just potions and spell items, this may be because I didn't get far, but it still seems to take a little of the RPG out of it.

In the end, I see great potential... but it's got some bugs to smooth out before it can be tested to any reasonable amount.

Keep me updated if you make any progress!

Level 11
I shall try this. I'm a huge final fantasy fan, hope to get around to making my own FF VIII someday, imo a better FF than 7, the materia system is what I didn't like in 7 but sounds more promising on wc3. The funny thing to this is, on wc3 the graphics look better than FFVII's lmao. Make sure to have good sephy model, there is a few out there, but the best one I seen is the garb he wore on the movie Advent Children.

Level 8
I shall try this. I'm a huge final fantasy fan, hope to get around to making my own FF VIII someday, imo a better FF than 7, the materia system is what I didn't like in 7 but sounds more promising on wc3. The funny thing to this is, on wc3 the graphics look better than FFVII's lmao. Make sure to have good sephy model, there is a few out there, but the best one I seen is the garb he wore on the movie Advent Children.

Well the playstation was severly limited, haha.

SAG

SAG

Level 2
Thanks alot for the responce guys, shame you didn't get further then the chocobo farm M.I.A.

Im glad you liked the random encounter system, but i think its bugged when playing in multiplayer, don't really know how it will work.

The floating text is indeed annoying and il replace it with standard game text (or properly program its removal).

Chocobo materia is sold by Chocobo Charlie (the guy,not the building) at the chocobo farm. Maybe he is hard to spot.

The characters....yeah they are kinda soulless aren't they? The Limit Break system sounded good when i thought it up, gaining power from kills rather then levels, thats how they did limit breaks in FF7 after all, il be setting that back to regular hero skill points. Once you get into the map some the differences of the hero's would simply be what kind of materia they would combine, some things work better with some characters. Like lots of magic and summoning materia would work better with Aeris becouse of her higher Int. and the more physical materia would work better on the brute heroes like Barret.

What id like to do with this map other then the hero skill points is erase the whole terrain and draw it again from scratch, looking at other maps i realise my terraining skills are pretty crap.

You didn't mention anything about the materia system, ive been wondering if its too clumpsy or hard to understand, but you probably didn't get a feel for it if you didn't get past the farm.

Level 3
Yea, I found Charlie... just couldn't find how to buy from him. Did it say in the quests somewhere? I didn't get around to reading all of them...

I'll try the map again next time I have time. If I get far enough, then I bet I can convince some buddies to go LAN and test it's multiplayer.

And yea, no feel for the materia with what space I explored :(

Edit: DUH!!! I can't believe i had trouble buying from Charlie! He's just a basic merchant... why didn't I think of that?

Last edited:
Level 5
Hi Sag,

I really like your map.
Ive also made a start on a final fantasy VII based map.
Your materia system looks quite customisable, but I would have to see the code.
I have made a different system of equiping and leveling materia if you are interested to look at my map.
Oh and the weapon equipted determins how many materia slots you have available just like in the game. So u could have a weapon with high damage but the draw back is less or no materia slots etc.
Ive also got a turn based battle system.
Id love to help you out with your map because I think we share very simular goals.

(My map attached)

Attachments

• Final Fantasy VII Materia and Battle.w3x
    1.2 MB · Views: 115
Status
Not open for further replies.