• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

File Compression

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
7z is by far the best, with it I can get 100 MB files to only 4-5 MB. You can not beat algrothimic compression, atleast for random files. And what is better is 7z opens about every file compression known and supports multi threading all for free.

I do not want to have to use random or wierd tools to decompress it, or worse, have to phisically install it. 7z is pretty main streem, everyone should have it by now and it is very good.

Currently it compressed it by %7.6 and that is just the MPQ its self, I am sure the compression would be higher if the data was stored that way.

How much does your method compress it and state how exactly since I dought much better than that exists.

[13-24-01] Pyritie: DesKaladA, how's the compression thingy going?
[13-24-22] Pyritie: 4shared recently made it so the file size limit per file is 100MB instead of the 50MB it was before.
[13-24-37] DesKaladA: oh thank god
[13-24-48] DesKaladA: currently
[13-24-55] DesKaladA: your rar
[13-25-01] DesKaladA: is the moast effective
[13-25-22] DesKaladA: there are some outher thing i can try
[13-25-25] DesKaladA: but...
[13-25-31] DesKaladA: it might not end to well

Ah well.

Well it depends. If 7z is lossy then i don«t recommend it. I prefer winrar because I think it is lossless (not sure).

Also, you may want to try the Huffman's codification method, as it one of the best systems ever made (winrar uses this method together with a replace method).

I don't know much about 7z, but i believe nothing is better then winrar.

Level 8
I'm pretty sure .7z algorithmic compression is the best you can get. FYI, winrar is an opening/compacting tool. I think you were thinking of .rars. Oh, and winrar does support the opening of .7z.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Actually new versions do I have heard. . .

Well anyway, 7z is completly losless, and the most efficent you can find. Only - side is that inorder for 1 piece of data to be extracted, it all has to be extracted, meaning for insane opening in folder times as it is not very fast in the first place.

Hi guys. I asked for the opinion of my ISRC(Introduction to Computer Systems and Networks, the name is translated from Portuguese lol) professor. In ISRC we study computer architecture to the machine level (circuits, 1s and 0s, booleans, Integrated circuits, compression types, and a lot more). My teacher told that winarar is definitely better than 7z. Therefore he advises me to use it whenever as possible, because it has a higher level of compression than 7z.

I can't prove i spoke to my teacher, but i can prove i studied compression - I have a powerpoint(doubt you will find it useful as it is not in English). Anyway, i can tell you guys the book i am studying, as it is all in English.

The final conclusion is that rar is better than 7z.
I believe in my teacher as he is a professional and very experienced man.

However if you don't believe me, there is nothing else i can do. Still, the final decision will always be yours. In this case, it holds on Pyritie, the leader of the project. No matter which method he chooses to compress, i know i did the best i could.

Last edited:
Oh, also, you should use a map blocker. Map blockers also compress your map by fixing triggers, removing comments and bla bla bla, in sum, they block your map, and reduce it's size greatly. Now try to combine that with winrar, and the size will be a LOT smaller.

You can use HeavyLock, or vexorians locker 4.0, you choose the best. They are booth good, but i actually use vexorians program.

Also pardon me, but aren't we (me and MechCamp) testers and triggeres at the same time ??, it's because your triggerer position in the current staff is blank, and i think you should update it lol.

Also pardon me, but aren't we (me and MechCamp) testers and triggeres at the same time ??, it's because your triggerer position in the current staff is blank, and i think you should update it lol.

Mechmap isn't making any spells. He just came up with a whole ton of ideas.
But yeah, I'll put you on there.

Its a campain, you can not protect campains easily as far as I know which is what those programs do.

I have to things to say:
1- first it is easy to protect campaigns because they are groups of maps. Nothing difficult, if you look at darky's campaign you can see it is protected.

2- The programs i mentioned (especially vexorian's program) only block if we want. They have a lot of functions we can access without blocking the map. One of those functions is to compress maps. In my opinion "map blocker" would be a wrong name because they do a lot more then just that.

I believe that "map blockers" are an advantage Pyritie really could use. Besides if you never used them, they all come with a mini-tutorial which you can read like i did.

Because i can't use 7z or winrar in my map to compress it, i use map blockers - an easy, fast and efficient tool. They compress my map, protect it (because i want) and they allow my map to be downloaded via b.net. Isn't it perfect ?

Mechmap isn't making any spells. He just came up with a whole ton of ideas.
But yeah, I'll put you on there

Meh, thx mate. I thought Mechcamp was helping too, my fault =P

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Campains can not be protected easily, the program must be able to protect campains as the whole file and not maps (which none do). As you can not add protected maps into campains as it has to read data from them (which it can not if they are protected).

There is no protection that makes the map black, that is some problem withyour computer causing that, check if display terane is enabled or not.

I know map protectors. You can protect a map without blocking it's data. It is a function Vexorian's and HeavyLock programs have - you can either choose to obfuscate the script or not.

The terrain is black, because they decided to protect the terrain. Another option of the program.

Please don't force me to explain the programs in detail, they have tutorials for that effect. If you don't believe me than read them like i did before posting comments about what you can and can not do with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.