• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Minigame] Fighting for Azeroth 3D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
This is a 3D variant of my earlier posted fighting map. It can be played against the AI, or with up to 5 other players.

WC3ScrnShot_090518_131102_02.jpg

Choose a hero first. Then a text tag appears where you can choose an opponent, or to spectate an ongoing fight. Use arrow keys to navigate and WASD to confirm. If you choose a player as opponent they will get a dialog pop up to confirm or decline the duel.

Each battle is played until either player scores 3 rounds. There is a 60 second timer, if it expires the player with higher health wins the round.

Features:
3D: characters can move in 4 directions + jump/crouch
Slow motion: if both characters are under half hp, when they attack simultaneously the game will slow down for a moment to make it easier to see who hit first
Rage: characters under 20% hp get access to a powerful special move

Controls in battle:
WC3ScrnShot_090518_162422_01.jpg
Esc - pause and show the move list for your character; to quit battle, quickly hit Esc 3 times
WASD - attacks
arrow left: tap to back dash, hold to block
arrow right: tap to dash, hold to run forward
arrow down: tap for a right sidestep, hold to crouch block
arrow up: tap for a left sidestep, hold to jump
when knocked down, hit W to stand up, or any arrow to roll
when hit by a throw, you have 0.4 sec to hit W and break the throw.

WC3ScrnShot_090518_104117_01.jpg

Feedback
I'd like to see some ideas for new moves, and feedback on any bugs, especially multiplayer, I can't test it myself.

Video

Attachments

• Fighting for Azeroth 3D v104.w3x
    3.4 MB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Level 8
Hello biridius. I've played both the 2d. and 3d versions. Both single player. I'm commenting here because I liked this one more.

First off, some things I love about this game:

-Bro, I seriously love the animations. I applaud the work that you've done here. I never had a laugh out loud moment like this in a WC3 map in a while.

-As I've said above, I liked this more than the 2d version. I think the controls here are better (still clunky though). The one thing I like about the controls is the blocking mechanic, where you just hold back rather than pressing w. It makes it much easier to block now. And also the implementation of dashes and sidesteps are perfect. Btw, since this is more like tekken, can you change the standing up button (after being knocked down) to just pressing b+u rather than W? It would be nice and easy to remember. Also, holding b+d should also make your character crouch after getting up.

-Also, I love that you can sidestep some linear moves. That was well implemented and awesome, imo.

-The overall presentation is cool but more work here is needed. (Please refer to my suggestions #4 and #5)

Now, what I think needs fixing (In order of importance):

1) The controls. Man, I think they're all over the place. For simplicity's sake, I think all characters should have the same basic moveset tied in to the same button. If W is basic punch for one character, then it should be the same for the others. No special moves, like Kael's fireball or Maiev's blink. If pressing S is a special move, then all characters should execute a special move when S is pressed.

Also, I'm still having a difficulty inputting special moves, like Illidan's fireball. I'm still wondering how you input the command here. It says d,f,A but whenever I do that, Illidan's normal punch comes out.

2) Hit detection. I think this is still pretty dodgy. I don't know if you already did this but, I think you should do a high, mid, low property to every attack. High attacks can be dodged by crouching, Mid destroys crouch, Low can only be jumped or low-blocked.

Also, you should add crushing properties to attacks. I noticed with this in battle with Illidan. Illidan flew, but I still hit him with Maiev's sweep. I think that shouldn't happen?

3) Combos. Oh, is it also possible to implement some kind of a combo mechanic? I think this would be cool. Like, each attack should penalize the opponent on hit where he cannot block for a certain amount of time. Of course, the damage inflicted and the opponent's recovery time is reduced with each successive hit.

Also, juggles. :D

4) More flash. Like there should be more flash and juice on hit. I think it's also easier to see if the move hits if there is a flashy visual indicator of every hit.

Also, add a camera shake on big moves. :D

Also, please add an animation when hit, and link it to the recovery time I mentioned above. That would be awesome.

5) The battlegrounds. I think they're very static and boring. Putting more life into them would be great. People watching, more environmental effects, etc.

But yeah, I love your map. It's fun and entertaining. I just think it has much room for improvement. I hope this helps you!

Edit:
BTW, some suggestions for new moves:
  • More jumping attacks.
  • Certain moves can hit enemies on floor. For Okizeme. Also, moves that can be initiated when floored.
  • Tracking moves. To counter sidesteps.
  • Launchers and juggles. :D

Last edited:
Level 23
Attempted to fix multiplayer desync
Please report on any results testing it multiplayer
+ Looks like it was a little bit of code that wasn't doing anything of use, but moved locations on a local computer, resulting in desyncing. Thanks to quq_CCCP, PT153 and Tailer007 from xgm for pointing that out. Also thanks to roehDU for reporting the issue.

Last edited:
Level 23
Since the Blademaster is basically done, I've compiled the character's framedata to be better able to judge the balance, and generally for guidance.
It contains information on speed, damage, safety and special properties of all his moves.
E.g. if it says -21 on whiff, it means that if you miss with the move, the opponent has 21 frames to punish you, and you won't be able to block if the opponent's move has startup of less than 21 frames.
1 frame = 0.03 sec / 0.24 in slow motion

Blademaster framedata
do note that every successive hit deals 15% less damage until opponent recovers
does not include ranges, knockback and move speeds - it would be a huge mess

Normals
W: Sword slash: Mid, 100 damage, startup 11
-9 on hit, -16 on block, -21 on whiff
A: Punch: High, 60 damage, startup 8
-3 on hit, -9 on block, -12 on whiff
S: Low kick: Low, 45 damage, startup 12, hits ground
-1 on hit, -5 on block, -10 on whiff
D: Spin kick: High, 80 damage, startup 14, lowcrush, tracking
on hit: knockdown +12, on block -13, on whiff -18
fA: Throw: High/Throw, 20+85 damage, startup 9, lasts 44 frames
-15 on whiff, -1 on break, launches far away back on hit
fW: Stab: Mid, 90 damage, startup 11, 8 active frames, lasts 32 frames
-21~-13 on whiff, -18~-10 on block, -11~-3 on hit

Crouch normals
dW: Sword sweep: Low, 100 damage, startup 13, hits ground
-26 on whiff, -21 on block, knockdown +4 on hit
dA: Uppercut: Any, 70 damage, startup 12, highcrush
launch on hit, -21 on block, -24 on whiff
dS: Knee, Any, 75 damage, startup 9
-11 on whiff, launches on hit, -20 on block
dD: Low kick: Low, 50 damage, startup 10, hits ground
-11 on hit/block, -16 on whiff

Air
uW: Critical strike: Mid, 90 damage, startup 9, lowcrush
-28 on whiff, -26 on block, -21 on hit

Specials
d,f,W: Fake dash [1 bar]: projectile, Any, 20 damage, startup 5, lasts 54, hits ground
on hit: knockdown 10, pause on block 10
the Blademaster becomes invisible and backdashes
d,f,A: Shuriken [1 bar]: projectile, High, 60 damage, startup 15, lasts 32
on hit/block: 10 frame stun
W+S: Windwalk [1 bar]: Any, 100 damage, startup 10 + 20 active frames, lasts 42 frames
on hit knocks down 12 frames, -27~-7 on block
dashes forward, and through the opponent if deals damage
A+D: Burning blade [1 bar]: Low, 100+50 damage, startup 11
launches on hit, -18 on block, -23 on whiff
W+D: Flurry [1 bar]: Mid, lasts 100 frames, startup 6, hits 10 times x25 damage, unbreakable
-18 on hit, -25 on block (after the last hit)

Meditation
dS+D: Meditation startup 25 frames, lasts 100 frames, first 15 are unbreakable, highcrushes
50 active frames healing 2 hp/frame
~u: Jump, same as jumping while standing
~W: sweep, same as crouching dW

Ultimate
A+W: Rageart [hp 20% or less]: startup 5, 64 frames, 70 Any + 3x55 High damage, unbreakable, tracking

Combo
1.1 W, dW on 18th frame: Sweep similar to crouch dW
1.2 W, dW, uW on 24th frame: Critical strrike like air uW
2.1 D, D on 23d frame: Knee similar to dS
2.2 D, D, A on 15th frame: Uppercut similar to dA

Last edited:
Level 2
I remembered Naruto Ultimate Ninja 5 when seeing this. Me and my cousin used to play that game alot.

I'll consider trying it, looks cool on the concept! :)
And I advice you to import something for your map to make it more engaging.

Level 2
Okay that is good. But, which is you're propose when uploading.
Are you propose: How comfort is the gameplay?
-- or --
How many downloaders do I get?

Level 23

I wouldn't put the map on the Internet if I didn't care whether people download and play it, or not. But I care more about comments, the downloads number is just a number.

If not for people playing and leaving comments, I'd never know that some things need improvement, because I only have one subjective point of view as a creator, being used to things as they are after months of playing it over and over.

Lots of people have 1.26 war3 for a variety of reasons and I don't want to prevent them from being able to play the map. Generally I view over-usage of import as bad, especially if it looks out of place.

Last edited:
Level 23
Making some extra animations now.
1. "Stand Hit Lumber" for low hits, because the head jerking back when legs are hit is stupid;
2. "Death Throw" for people being thrown, looks cool so far when the Blademaster is thrown by Peasant.
Abomination, Arthas, Blademaster, Felguard, Illidan, Kael, Maiev and Panda got them, 7 heroes to go.

* Added a 6s cooldown to showing/hiding movelist
* Buffed juggles by reducing gravity on launched characters
* Some hints popping up during the game
* Credits list in quest menu
* A couple new kicks for Kael, flame breath and backflip for Panda
* Panda also got sidestep/backdash animations

I'll update the map in "Maps & Resources" when it's done, for now I'll keep it here in case I need a backup.

Last edited:
Level 23
Added sidestep, backdash, rising from crouch, low hit and thrown animations to the rest of the characters.
New character - Naga.
Shaman got a grab move, and his victory sounds fixed.
Paladin got a couple ofo special moves.
Reduced jump strength while running.
Changed some endround code.
Reduced screen blinking during slow-motion.
Paladin no longer screams each time he is knocked down.

Last edited:
Level 23
Fixed multiplyer, tested with KLoader.
Will be adding new moves now.
Right now there are only about 180, out of planned 460 total moves and combos.
Will update the map once every character has at least 16 moves in the movelist, and every one will have at least one throw.

Some of the new throws

Last edited:
Level 23
Still need to make about 5 more moves. Also am improving the ragearts and making some more of them.

will keep the map backup here in case the snot holding the laptop's charger together falls apart

Characters without ragearts get a copy-pased one, with minor tweaks.

Changed rageart damage: the lower the character's hp, the higher damage the rageart does.
Also made the AI slightly better and fixed some bugs.

Last edited:
Level 23
Fixed some bugs with the multiplayer and physics, QCF (the fireball command) and camera.
Will make a few more moves for paladin, and then update the main resource.
All other chars now have 16+ moves so they should be more fun to play.

* if a player other than red asked for a duel, and the other player agreed, the game crashed
* couldn't quit spectating by hitting "escape"
* spectating playersr didn't return to menu when the battle is over
* couldn't cancel the duel request
* some moves (that weren't supposed to move the character through the opponent) did
* fireballs were used instead of punches if you sidestepped right and then dashed forward
* camera didn't work correctly near arena edges
* if you threw the opponent while they were not facing you, the "being thrown" animation was looking weird

Last edited:
Level 23
Making some small changes
+ reduced rewind time on whilestanding/sidesteps
+ halved the movelist cooldown
+ peasants shoulder is now A+D to avoid conflict with A+W rageart
+ wallsplat damage indication
+ sound when hints pop up
+ sound when pressing arrow keys in menu

didnt do much else, only had like 10 minutes before the laptop died again after I updated the file and will take another miracle to revive

Last edited:
Level 23
The version 1.02, since 1.04 has some issues and I can't fix them yet.

Bugs with 1.04 specifically, that shouldn't be in this version
- the doubled side/back steps
- lag after playing for ~half an hour

Attachments

• Fighting for Azeroth 3D v102.w3x
    3.3 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Level 2
Well actually I still can unlock the cam by pressing Ctrl+Shift+C. Anything else looks decent!

Maybe I can help you with 2D arts? :)

Level 23
Sidesteps backdashes no longer doubled
W no longer spawns lag units in the background
Sweeps and spinkicks now launch
Jaina got a new move, right+S kick launches on crouch or counterhit
fixed camera being too low on lava arena

The laptops right arrow jammed so that's all I managed to do.

Edit: I broke the peasant's combo of dA,D,W - the finishing throw doesn't hit because the kick now launches the opponent in the air. Will return to it later when I'll have more time, may be in a couple of weeks.

Attachments

• Fighting for Azeroth 3D v104d.w3x
    3.4 MB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.