• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Fel-Orc Race Design (Icon Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Fel-Orc Race Design

First off, this is not an Orc race with "Fel" or "Chaos" put in front of every orc unit and called good.

Anyways, I've been having a real creative block lately and thought that I could get some real good suggestions for the Fel Orc Race I have been working on lately. To generalize what I have decided so far...

• Fast attack race, with buildings and units being built faster than other races' counterparts.

*Bold=Name, Italics=Tooltip*

Units

BTNChaosGrunt.JPG

Savage
Basic worker and fast attack unit. Can harvest gold and lumber, repair, and build structures.
This is the worker unit. Builds the base like the Orc Peon does, but moves faster and has more attack power.
Costs 100g instead of 75g.
Built out of ALL buildings.

BTNChaosWolfRider.JPG

Ravager
Savage Fel Orc. Attacks his foes fast and hard, but has low health.
T1 Melee. Attacks extremely fast for decent damage, but he has low relative health.
Costs 155g.
Built out of Armory.

BTNFelOrcCrossbow.JPG

Bolter
Powerful crossbow-wielding Fel Orc.
T1 Ranged. Nothing extremely special about this guy.
Costs 145g, 20w.
Built out of Armory.

BTNFelGuard.JPG

Brute
Powerful melee siege unit with high armor.
T2 Melee Siege. Has high "Medium" armor to help shake off tower attacks.
Costs 260g, 35w.
Built out of Armory.

BTNDemoness.JPG

Sadist
Supporting spellcaster. <FILL ME IN!>
T2 Caster. Indirect Healer unit. Can Cast:
  • Fount of Pain: Marks the target as a Fount of Pain. The Fount will take damage and restore 2% of all nearby enemies health every second. Lasts ten seconds.
  • Bloodlust: The Target unit will regain 25% of the damage it deals back as health. Lasts 60 seconds.
  • One More Spell: Needs another spell.
Costs 150g, 15w.
Built out of <FILL ME IN!> (T2 Caster Building)

BTNChaosWarlock.JPG

Warlock
Primary spellcaster. Can initially Summon Void Fiends, and can learn Banish and Transcend.
T2 Caster. Offensive spell caster, summons minions. Can Cast:
  • Summon Void Fiend:Summons a Void Fiend to attack the Warlock's enemies. Lasts 60 seconds.
  • Banish: Banishes a Warlock's Void Fiend, returning all of its life and a quarter of its life as mana to the Warlock.
  • Transcend: The Warlock surrounds himself with dark magic, transforming him into a powerful demon. The Warlock slowly kills himself while he is a demon.
Costs 160g.
Built out of <FILL ME IN!> (T2 Caster building)

BTNFelHound.JPG

Fel Seeker
Fast Counter-Caster unit. Knows Consumption and can learn Surge.
T2 Factory unit. Can Cast:
  • Consumption: The Fel Seeker gains steals 25 mana every time that he attacks a unit with mana. (Passive)
  • Surge: Surges mana back into the enemy caster, filling its mana back to full while dealing 50% of the mana returned as damage.
Costs 190g, 30w.
Built out of <FILL ME IN!> (T2 Factory building)

BTNBlackDragon.JPG

Dragon Subjugator
<FILL ME IN!>
T2 Factory unit (Flying) Can Cast:
  • Dragon's Presence: The presence of a mighty Black Dragon reduces enemy flying units attack by 25%.
Costs 285g, 50w.
Built out of <FILL ME IN!> (T2 Factory building)

BTNInfernalCannon.JPG

Fel Cannon
Long-Ranged heavy attack unit.
T2 Shop Unit.
Costs 250g, 75w.
Built out of Fel Portal.

BTNDemonSpaceShip.JPG

Fel Airship
Flying troop carrier
T2 Shop Flyer.
Costs 250g, 75w.
Built out of Fel Portal.

BTNInfernalFlameCannon.JPG

Fel Destroyer
<FILL ME IN!>
T3 Uber Unit/T3 Melee.
Costs 550g, 175w.
Built out of Destroyer Portal.

Editor-Random-Unit.JPG

Extra Unit-Slot
I've got an unused unit slot still, and need something to fill it up.
(Both T1 and T2 are pretty full of attack units (they both have four), so this might want to be a T3 ranged unit?)

Buildings

BTNGreatHall.JPG
Outpost
Primary structure, used to train Savages and receive gathered resources. Can be upgraded to Stronghold and then Spire to enable the production of additional types of structures and units.
Basic T1 Townhall.
Costs 385g, 185g.
Trains Savages.

BTNFortress.JPG
Spire
Upgrade to Spire to enable the production of additional types of structures and units.
Basic T2 Townhall.
Costs 315g, 190w.
Trains Savages/

BTNStrongHold.JPG
Citadel
Upgrade to Citadel to enable the production of additional types of structures and units.
Basic T3 Townhall.
Costs 385g, 210w.
Trains Savages.

BTNFountainOfLifeBlood.JPG
Fountain of Blood
Provides food, which increases the maximum number of units that can be trained. Gives off the Scent of Blood, increasing nearby allies' attack and movement speed.
Food Production Building. Provides 10 food.
Costs 160g, 40w.
Trains Savages.

BTNAltarOfTerror.JPG
Altar of Blood
Summons Heroes. Revives slain Heroes.
Altar building. Summons the Heroes (which aren't all designed yet)
Costs 180g, 50w.
Trains Savages, Heroes.

BTNBarracks.JPG
Armory
Primary troop production building. Trains Ravagers, Bolters, and Brutes.
T1 Production facility.
Costs 200g, 65w.
Trains Ravagers, Bolters, Brutes, Savages.

BTNChaosGraveyard.JPG
Forge
Serves as a drop-off point for harvested lumber. <FILL ME IN!>
T1 Upgrade center and lumber drop-off point.
Costs 210g.
Trains Savages.

BTNDemonGate.JPG
Fel Portal
Summons Fel Cannons and Fel Airships. <FILL ME IN!>
T2 Shop Production facility (produces both shop unit and shop flyer)
Costs 160g, 130w.
Trains Fel Cannons, Fel Airships, Savages.

Editor-Random-Building.JPG
<FILL ME IN!> (T2 Factory Building)
<FILL ME IN!> (Produces Fel Seekers and Dragon Subjugators)
T2 Factory building.
Costs <FILL ME IN!>
Trains Fel Seekers, Dragon Subjugators, Savages.

Editor-Random-Building.JPG
<FILL ME IN!> (T2 Caster Building)
<FILL ME IN!> (Produces Warlocks and Sadists)
T2 Caster building.
Costs <FILL ME IN!>
Trains Warlocks, Sadists, Savages.[r]
BTNPortal.JPG[c]Destroyer Portal
Massive portal, summons in Fel Destroyers. <FILL ME IN!>
T3 Uber Unit Production building.
Costs 300g, 100w.
Trains Fel Destroyers, Savages.[r]
BTNChaosSpiritGateway.JPG[c]Portal Generator
Creates a shop with purchasable items. The items available depend upon what level of upgrade your Outpost has (Outpost, Spire, or Citadel) and which buildings you have.
Shop building. Sells the items.
Costs 130g, 30w.
Trains Savages.
Sells <FILL ME IN!>[r]
Editor-Random-Building.JPG[c]<FILL ME IN!> (Tower, Base Defense)
<FILL ME IN!>
Base defense building.
Costs <FILL ME IN!>
Trains Savages.

(The Outpost, Spire, Citadel, and Armory all have temporary icons.)

Heroes

Warchief

BTNFelOrcEnforcer.JPG
Warchief (Would Warlord be better?)
<FILL ME IN!> (Strong supporting hero. Has high damage and health, low armor, and boosts the damage of those around him. Strength based.)

BTNSelectHeroOn.JPG
Kill Command (I'd like something to the same effect that isn't copied off Hunters from WoW <.<)
All allied units around the Warchief cause double damage for 4/5/6 seconds
This is one spell I think really fits in with the Warchief. Not only does he go around being a tough dude, but he also can rally his troops to fight harder.

BTNSelectHeroOn.JPG
Ruthlessness Aura (Sounds good in my opinion.)
Nearby units gain 15%/15%/15% extra attack damage at the cost of 4/2/0 armor.
I also like this one. I mean, come on! They're Fel Orcs, and when the Warchief starts rallying 'em up, they're going to give it their all.

BTNSelectHeroOn.JPG
Bloodboil (until a better name comes up [Credits to wc3shady!])
Reduces enemy armor and increases ally attack damage in the target area. (What does that do with Bloodboiling? Who knows.)
I like this. It's not a direct damage dealer like I originally had in mind, but I bet it helps him rip.

BTNSelectHeroOn.JPG
Hand of the Warchief (Epic name [Credits to wc3shady!]) (Ultimate)
The Warchief summons one of his merciless elites, the Hands of the Warchief, to the battle. Each Warchief may only have two Hands on the battle at any time (I like two.). The Hands will be affected by Bloodboil and Kill Command any time the Warchief uses it, and when the Warchief dies, they will enrage, losing all their armor but gaining attack damage and speed.
I'm loving this.

Slayer

BTNChaosKnight.JPG
Slayer
<FILL ME IN!> (Strong, single-target killer. Focuses on abilities that allow him to kill one by one. Strength based, but makes use of Mana, too.)
I love this guy.

BTNSelectHeroOn.JPG
Dark Pulse (Name is up for editing)
The Slayer pulses Dark Energy through his target, dealing 75/150/225 damage. If the target dies from being pulsed, he will explode, dealing 125 damage to all nearby units.
I like this idea. Not much to say really... Name is up for change if something better comes up.

BTNSelectHeroOn.JPG
Dread (Name also up for change)
The Slayer fills his target with dread, decreasing movement speed and attack speed by 75%, and causing 50/100/150 damage over ten seconds.
At first I didn't like this spell, but it has kinda grown on me, I think. Basically, if you try and run away, the Slayer is gonna... Dread you (that needs to get changed lol)... and then come get you.

BTNSelectHeroOn.JPG
Culling
Every time the Slayer kills a foe, he consumes their soul to restore 20/40/60 mana.
I don't have many thoughts on this. It lets him keep doing his thing, and so I am fine with it. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing another creative spell that lets him kill more efficiently, but I think in the end, 60 mana every kill will help him kill more than another spell.

BTNSelectHeroOn.JPG
Void (Ultimate) (Name needs to be changed (do you see a pattern?))
The Slayer creates a Void beneath the target, which stuns him for two seconds, and then consumes him entirely. Can't target Heroes.
I'm not sure about this idea. I like the idea of a void eating someone, but I'm not sure if it really fits the idea of the Slayer. I want him to be like a Demon-Empowered Homicidal Maniac... and this might go too far into Mage-type spells.
So, there's the general Tech-tree so far... Do note that I do not have any upgrades listed so far, but some abilities listed require upgrades.

So far I have two heros *in mind* (not worked on with any sort of dedication, just abilities and loose roles in mind). I will do their table tomorrow when I get some more time, as right now the tech-tree is my main focus. I'd like to get some more detail in here about units/buildings, too. We will see how that turns out.

Screenshots

Screens of some of the units and buildings. All screens are WIPs.

Screen1.jpg
Some Ravagers, Savages, and Bolters creeping.

Screen2.jpg
A busy base, full of workers and upgrading to T2.

Screen3.jpg
After destroying an enemy's base, Savages can put up their own...

Screen4.jpg
... if you have enough resources.

Screen5.jpg
The Fel Portal can create some powerful units!

Lineup.jpg
A line-up, containing all eleven of the current units

I'd like to get some more screens sometimes, perhaps even a replay of a battle would be cool, but I need to finish up the race before that can happen.

CAN YOU CONTRIBUTE?

Yes, you can. All the areas that you see that say <FILL ME IN!> need ideas. These areas are things like names, abilities, upgrades, and in one case, a unit.

Upgrades are needed! I'm working to get them going, but these units need upgrades still:

• Ravager (should be a passive upgrade)
  • Bolter (This is really up for grabs, I was thinking something like the ability that lets his bolts go through his first target would be cool)
  • Fel Destroyer (All other T3 Upgrades were upgrades for the attack (Storm Hammers, Pulverise). This should follow suit).

At the minute these are all I can remember, but it's late here lol.

(I have not went through and put credits to all the models/icon makers on this thread. Don't hate on me, please.)

Last edited:
Level 8
Well it looks really great man, to start of if this is going to be a race where everything is built quickly you might wana remember that if its built or trained quickly its inferior to anything that time is put into. So you should make the majority of the units cheap but not too strong. Power in numbers. For your un used unit slot I suggest one unit that is out of place. An incredibly strong unit but very expensive and takes along time to build. I suggest some sort of giant orc thing, just surf models and see if theres something that fits the description. to be honest you seem to have most of the units finished.

Level 4
Where does the cost of units factor into the whole equation of power and build time? For instance, the Ravager costs 20g more than a Footman, but gets built three seconds faster. The Ravager beats the Footman pretty handily, though.

Balancing needs to be done.

Destroyer, you should see the Fel Destroyer :p It's a giant Machine that is considered "melee", but can hit ground and air units, and has fortified armor. He's a beast :p

Level 4
Sadist
Supporting spellcaster. Uses ranged spells that enhance friendly units
T2 Caster. Indirect Healer unit. Can Cast:

* Fount of Pain: Marks the target as a Fount of Pain. The Fount will take damage and restore 2% of all nearby enemies health every second. Lasts ten seconds.

* Bloodlust: The Target unit will regain 25% of the damage it deals back as health. Lasts 60 seconds.

* Blood Craze
The target unit enters a deep trance that leads him into a catastrophical frenzy.
+ Attackspeed & and movement speed, -armor

Costs 150g, 15w.
Built out of <FILL ME IN!> (T2 Caster Building)

Level 6
T2 castor building: A Shrine of Demons is dark building built out demonic magic and tortured souls. Only when built shall warlocks be trained. Go under demon models and use voidwalker shrine.

Level 20
"All allied units around the Warchief cause double damage for 4/5/6 seconds"
What cooldown? And duration of 4/5/6 is too little difference. Level 1 is almost as good as level 3.

"Nearby units gain 15%/15%/15% extra attack damage at the cost of 4/2/0 armor."
The idea of having a "helpful" spell with a negative values is rather bad idea and might cause problems for allys example.

Level 4
I've been inactive for a bit too long, it seems. I'll just go down the posts and try and get some relevant information here...

Jokunen, if you're still active, I've thought about the idea since the first day you posted it, but can't get a good position on it. It stays with the idea of the Sadist... being sadistic (I guess, I mean, she's making her allies get hurt more while hurting more o_O), but I just can't get behind it. Isn't there a move like this already? Well, I have a couple Blizz abilities in there already... I think. Not honestly sure, been so long lol.

xvarts, are you referring to the Shrine of the Deathwalker? I have the model, but it doesn't fit with the graphic style of the other buildings, and uniformity (is that a word?) matters to me. I'm weird.

Super-Sheep, I need to thank you for going over my my Warchief(Warlord?) spell ideas. Some of them were fleshed out in my AP US History class (biggest waste of time EVER, but I did get a 4 on the final exam lol), and weren't developed. The idea of that hero is still in flux, really.

I agree with what your point on the duration of the damage bonus. For many units, it won't matter, while for some (Ravager o_O), it works on two more attacks. That doesn't seem like something a player would find useful to work on maxing out, and so either the rank one needs to be decreased (which I don't think is the answer), or the other two ranks need to go up, which is what would probably happen. 5/7.5/10? I like to stay in a pattern, as it's a bit easier to trigger, as I'm still a noob at JASS.

You're also right with the second ability. The goal was to inspire the units to rip their enemies apart with wild abandon, but perhaps the armor decrease isn't needed? 15% can make a big difference, and I felt it needed to be offset. I almost feel like scrapping this spell idea.

Flame Phoenix, it's good to talk to you!
First off, I've played your map, and I enjoyed it. I always play as the Fel Orcs, and I used the Summoner a lot (my apologies for not know the exact name :p), and it was fun to wreak some havoc.

I'd enjoy sharing some ideas with you, but I think that we have a big difference between our two races, as you noted. I'm going to break us into two different types of the Red Orcs, the Fel Orcs and the Chaos Orcs.

I'm not crazy, but the Fel Orcs are the ones that are currently in Draenor (or dead by now, whatever lol), fighting the Horde and the Alliance. My inspiration came from Hellfire Peninsula in WoW and the lore behind it. It's portrayed by the number of demons that are included, the architectural style that I tried (and in some cases, failed) to keep with the units, and to a lesser extent, the Black Dragons. As far as my long nights on WoWwiki have shown, only the Black Dragons actually went through the Dark Portal back to Draenor, never Reds. How Reds are in TFT Human Campaign, I'm not sure. It's honestly up for debate if someone really wanted to.

I think that your orcs are more Chaos Orcs (again, I'm just making some broad statements here) which were influenced by the corrupted blood they drank in Kalimdor. You've got a number of things which make me think this, such as the Fel Kodo. Fel Orcs in Draenor didn't have (or weren't shown to have) Kodos. Again, the issue of Dragon Flights pops back up here, and the Frozen Throne Human campaign.

I'm not trying to say that either one of us is right when it comes to lore, because we both have official Blizzard work backing us up, but I think perhaps we are looking at two different factions of Orcs. I'd still be happy to get your input on ideas though, as I really value what you say. You're an experienced map-maker, good at race design, and I'm working on vJass through your tutorial :p

If I could direct your focus to one area in particular... Warlord vs. Warchief. I've been told that Warchief is a more shamanistic title, which I guess I can imagine, seeing Thrall and all, but Kargath Bladefist was Warchief of the Fel Horde on Draenor before his death. I'm a bit leery of Warlord because as far as I can tell, Orcs didn't have any Warlords (I don't own Wc1 or 2, so I am unable to check their manuals and missions for confirmation).

Again, I'd like to thank you for posting in what might have appeared to be a dead project (it was dead, but I think I will get rolling again). I'd value some more input. I'll try and get together a reasonable post for your thread, and maybe something will come of it.

As far as more development goes, I've actually coded two of the Slayer's spells, Culling and Dark Pulse, in JASS. I'm new to the language, so it's a bit difficult for me, but slowly and surely I guess.

I've also managed to get a basic grip on the next hero (the idea actually spawned after I had seen the new Star Trek movie, although I really can't find a connection), which will be some magic-guy. Great description? I know. I want him to be a disruption hero, so he won't be blowing up his foes left and right (that's the Slayer's job), but he will make it easier. One spell I know I want is where he summons a portal near (offset by like 100) his position, and at the target area for the spell level*10 seconds. Units can freely traverse these portals until they expire.

My final idea which I know I need to get around to implementing is War Cries. The War Cries are going to be the racial... THING of the Fel Orcs. Basically, whenever an organic Fel Orc unit makes a kill, it will give off a War Cry, giving various benefits to nearby allies for a short period of time. Each unit gives off its own war cry, too, so... yeah. For instance, when the Brute's War Cry increases allies damage done to buildings by 1.5 for 15 seconds. It's a small, but possibly noticeable bonus. The Sadist's War Cry actually heals nearby units for 10% of the enemies max health. I wanted to try and get a unique system that other races haven't done before, and I think I came up with one.

Alright, that's all I can really think of atm, I'll get around to updating the first post. Also, there's somewhat of a lack of good documentation of Fel Orcs on WoWwiki. Does anyone know of any other WC Lore sites?

Mmm, many of your arguments are valid. I am happy you are following my tutorial, I am making a new one soon xD
As for Chaos Orcs, I learned a lot from your post.
Also, remember my project is open source, if you need help, I can share it (if you give credits ofc). I know how to make all abilities from Warchief.

In my map I have this Chaotic Rage ability - gives 1% to deal chaos damage for each 2% of hp missing. Also my Warchief hero is a support hero to support that race. Per example his ultimate: Prevents all allies from dying while he channels. Although all allies can take damage, they will never die - > now put this together with Chaotic Rage -> an entire army with 1 hp having 50% of dealing Chaos damage in each attack and that you cannot kill. I think this would be a good ability for you too.
He is a support hero ...
My chaos orcs are team players, I have the abilities: "Gives +1 attack for each allied chaos orc nearby". Perhaps you could do something similar -> Gives +1 attack to all allies nearby for each Chaos Orc unit nearby (3rd spell) and it would seriously stack awesome with 1st spell.
As for an ultimate, depends on what you want xD
Hope you like my ideas, and hope you give me some too xD

EDIT EDIT EDIT

You may want to check this link as well:
http://wc3cr.arc-nova.org/wiki/doku.php?id=races:felorcs

Thanks to Alevice.

Level 3
<FILL ME IN!> (Third Regular Spell)
<FILL ME IN!>
I've been thinking about this third ability, and I think I want it to be something where the Warchief does damage to the opponent. That's all I've got so far.

Bloodboil
Either slows and deals periodic damage to an enemy or increases an allied unit's movement and attack speed.
I think this ability fits the hero and fits the role. It deals damage to an enemy like you wanted, and slows them so the Warchief's army can quickly surround a hero or something. Also, it can benefit allied units, which is the Warchief's main, intended purpose.

<FILL ME IN!> (Ultimate)
<FILL ME IN!>
Ahhh, the Ultimate Spell. I've not given this beast much thought, but I have toyed with the idea of a Passive Ultimate. I'm not against an active one, though. I think this should deal with his troops.

Hand of the Warchief
This summons five "Merciless Elite" (name subject to change), powerful melee warriors. They last forever, only 5 are allowed at any time, and whenever the Warchief casts Bloodboil or Kill Command, they are affected by the buff. Also, whenever one "Merciless Elite" takes damage, it spreads out evenly between them.
I'm a bit iffy about this one, mainly because summons are often boring. However, a summon spell fits too well with this hero and I think I added some unique features to these guys.

Dark Pulse (Name is up for editing)

Hmm - Soul Rend? Something with Rend? Bloodied Curse? Blacken?

Attachment 55998
A line-up, containing all eleven of the current units

Fel Destroyer looks lame. If you could get someone to model for you, you should try something like this - http://img.qj.net/uploads/articles_module2/77862/Fel_Reaver_qjpreviewth.jpg - they are Fel Reavers in Hellfire Peninsula (WoW).

Level 4
Yep, that's what the Fel Destroyer was supposed to be based off. I have good memories of that Fel Reaver, and if I actually get a solid working version done, I will make a request. Until then, I don't want to risk wasting someone's time. Now, on to the spells...

wc3shady said:
Bloodboil
Either slows and deals periodic damage to an enemy or increases an allied unit's movement and attack speed.
I think this ability fits the hero and fits the role. It deals damage to an enemy like you wanted, and slows them so the Warchief's army can quickly surround a hero or something. Also, it can benefit allied units, which is the Warchief's main, intended purpose.

Alright, this does indeed fit the role of the Support-but-I-can-still-pwn-you Warchief. I actually really like the idea of one that boosts allies and hinders enemies, what if it was a targettable AoE spell, and then affected units like you said? Or something like increases allies attack damage while reducing enemy armor? I like that :]
I think the name may need to be changed, though, as Bloodboil sounds more of a casters type thing, something the Warlock-style hero or the Slayer would have, but the idea will remain.

wc3shady said:
Hand of the Warchief
This summons five "Merciless Elite" (name subject to change), powerful melee warriors. They last forever, only 5 are allowed at any time, and whenever the Warchief casts Bloodboil or Kill Command, they are affected by the buff. Also, whenever one "Merciless Elite" takes damage, it spreads out evenly between them.
I'm a bit iffy about this one, mainly because summons are often boring. However, a summon spell fits too well with this hero and I think I added some unique features to these guys.

Interesting, a Summon as an Ulti. I'm hesitant about this for the same reason that you are, but I do enjoy the idea that they will always be affected by Kill Command and Bloodboil, no matter where they are. Also, what if whenever the Warchief died, they would all enrage, losing all armor but boosting attack damage and speed into the stratosphere (sounds cool, but it has to be balanced. I guess.) :p? I think you've come up with gold, man! +rep

Soul-Rend+Dark Pulse = Dark Rending?

I think that summon is in fact quite boring. For me summons are not just the creatures, it is also how they appear. Check my Apocalypse spell (in Summoner, lv6), my Fiery item (Chaos Orcs tier 3 in shop) and my Ranger lv9 ultimate, Golem Invocation, they are all summoning spells, but people love them (I think) because they are not just regular summoning spells.

Status
Not open for further replies.