• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[General] Fan of Knives vs Ethereal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Changing the required level to 6 is the only possbility I know to change an ability's damage type. If this does not work you probably have to trigger the skill.

Level 19
Setting required level to 2 or higher (doesn't need to be 6) will make the game consider the ability an "ultimate" and will have it go through spell immunity/etc.

Not sure it will allow fan of knives to hit ethereal though. Spell immune, yes.
yet it has nothing to do with the points OP stated, just to be able to target spell immune (target, no affect)

Level 8
Thanks for reply.
I think that this is impossible to achieve.
I planning to use Acid Bomb instant of fan of knives.
I use a dummy FoK to detect spell damage and do stuff. The adventages of this skill is the multiple missile creation in aoe.

Depending on what you're trying to achieve, you could simply use another AoE ability instead of Fan of Knives. For instance, Thunder Clap.

Thunder clap is not a option, terrain deformation generating leaks, and not is 100% safe if use a function that calculates terrain Z (desync issue)
I think that blizzard is the best option for aoe dummy spell but this require more test.

Level 19
Thunder clap is not a option, terrain deformation generating leaks, and not is 100% safe if use a function that calculates terrain Z (desync issue)
I think that blizzard is the best option for aoe dummy spell but this require more test.
terrain deforms cannot leak as its completely local object and its being handled properly as they dont use ref count (at least for my knowledge)
not to say Z terrain barely useful anywhere and normally shouldnt be used for sync-based actions

Level 8
terrain deforms cannot leak as its completely local object and its being handled properly as they dont use ref count (at least for my knowledge)
not to say Z terrain barely useful anywhere and normally shouldnt be used for sync-based actions

Read this post www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/is-there-a-possible-way-to-remove-terrain-defomation-leak.275601/

If terrain deformations leaks or not, i think its looks ugly and not is an option for me.

I left the AoE skills managed by triggers, using groups.

Missile target dummy to Acid Bomb and missile cone/line to carrion swarm.

Level 8

My bad there. I forgot about the terrain deformation on Thunder Clap but as WelomeBack has said, the deformations don't cause leaks; only desyncs.

Level 26
How does localness relate to the absence of leaks? Afaik the terraindeformation or ubersplat id counter is steadily increasing but that does not mean anything either.

You could put dummy targets on the actual targets when Fan of Knives is being cast, taking the blow for the damage event, then proceed as necessary. Or maybe it's enough to remove/reapply ethereal just in time.

Level 8
You could put dummy targets on the actual targets when Fan of Knives is being cast, taking the blow for the damage event, then proceed as necessary. Or maybe it's enough to remove/reapply ethereal just in time.

Create dummys on targets, involves creating groups and save the data of the real target on a hashtable, is a solution but to make this more simply, i creating a group and cast dummy acid bomb's to enemies in range, also this make thing more configurable.

I think that remove Ethereal buff when missile hit the unit is not possible with damage events, since FaK not trigger this event if target has Ethereal.

Status
Not open for further replies.