• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Fading Overlaps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
Hi, I am having issues with fading masks on my map (Where you fade with a custom imported image) - On my old maps it was fine, though everytime i try it with my new map, it causes a crash error.

upload_2017-3-29_20-7-31.png

This is just using a PNG image converted to BLP using Warcraft 3 viewer. I tried getting the Warcraft 3 image converter but it just errors everytime i try to open it.

Any Ideas?

I'll try this tonight If I get the chance too. Regarding this, should I make the image, then save it as TGA then convert to BLP? - It has Alpha in the image so saving it to Jpg etc doesn't save the alpha, only PNG images save the alpha, but I cant convert them to BLP.

It doesn't matter. You have your image, convert it to .blp using BLP Lab, you can find more settings there.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Warcraft 3 viewer is literally an old crap. Get BLP Lab to convert the textures.
BLP Lab is literally "old crap". Sadly there is no good high level BLP creation tool.

BLP Lab will still work, vaguely. For producing a JPEG content BLP using BLP Lab you need to manually make sure a full set of mipmap levels is present in the resulting file as the tool lacks understanding of "has mipmaps" and has a buggy mipmap count field instead. Since a recent patch WC3 will fail to load JPEG content BLP files which have a single invalid mipmap level.

Level 18
I managed to use GIMP to make PNG images (Have to use them for Alpha) and BLP Lab is the only tool which has successfully got a BLP working in WC3. Only problem I am having now is try to make something which looks nice for opening credits - Standard text looks crap (Text was supposed to be Black with a white fade but WC3 fades all as one colour)

BLP Lab is literally "old crap". Sadly there is no good high level BLP creation tool.

BLP Lab will still work, vaguely. For producing a JPEG content BLP using BLP Lab you need to manually make sure a full set of mipmap levels is present in the resulting file as the tool lacks understanding of "has mipmaps" and has a buggy mipmap count field instead. Since a recent patch WC3 will fail to load JPEG content BLP files which have a single invalid mipmap level.

It's old, but it's not crap. For you, maybe. Not for me.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I managed to use GIMP to make PNG images (Have to use them for Alpha) and BLP Lab is the only tool which has successfully got a BLP working in WC3.
My JAVA ImageIO plugin can make BLP files that work in WC3 and the sources are publically available.

Just BLP Lab is the only high level tool that works to some extent. It still can make invalid JPEG content BLP files if you specify the buggy mipmap count field to not be larger than the number of actually used mipmaps.

Only problem I am having now is try to make something which looks nice for opening credits - Standard text looks crap (Text was supposed to be Black with a white fade but WC3 fades all as one colour)
I believe it multiplies the colour components with some interpolation.

Maybe a custom model might work better? You could create a long animation doing various visual effects for a credit screen.

Not for me.
It is for you, just it works sufficiently for your needs. One could make better but no one bothers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.