• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Factories instead of Gold Mines

Does replacing Gold Mines with factories generally seem like a great idea?

• Yes

• No

• Not sure

• It highly depends on the map

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
What if instead of having to rely on a gold mine (which has limited resources) a player could build up to 2 factories (build limit can be set using triggers I believe) and each factory could be occupied by up to 5 workers and the more workers each factory has the faster the factory would produce gold.

Pocket factory could be used as the factory model. Each worker would have to be given the peon classification and the factory would need to have the burrow ability (giving it a cargo hold ability would allow other units to enter the factory) but this would no longer limit where a player could build his base, no longer limit the games to 20 minutes cause of the gold limit and might have some tromendous advantages over the gold mine system, what do you guys think?

Level 8
What if instead of having to rely on a gold mine (which has limited resources) a player could build up to 2 factories (build limit can be set using triggers I believe) and each factory could be occupied by up to 5 workers and the more workers each factory has the faster the factory would produce gold.

Pocket factory could be used as the factory model. Each worker would have to be given the peon classification and the factory would need to have the burrow ability (giving it a cargo hold ability would allow other units to enter the factory) but this would no longer limit where a player could build his base, no longer limit the games to 20 minutes cause of the gold limit and might have some tromendous advantages over the gold mine system, what do you guys think?

If the entire goal of this system is to get around the gold limitation on mines, why not just increase the gold in the mines to a point that's virtually impossible to exhaust?
Placing bases "anywhere" could be decent in some maps, but melee maps tend to have gold mines pasted in every area worth building in anyway.

I don't know, I'm not a big enough fan of melee maps to know if the building restriction would be a better alternative than the current system of limiting gold-farms through upkeep.

Status
Not open for further replies.