• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Exporting grayscaled texture from Dawn of War 2 to Warcraft 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there, this is a small follow up from this thread

Last year I started a pretty dumb project which aimed at exporting the models from Dawn of War 2 to Warcraft 3.
It was a small challenge to myself, wondering if it was possible and how much time exporting 1 model would take.

I wanted to make this thread to share my little discovery around Dawn of War 2 army painter, in case you didn't know, the Dawn of War games allow a player to color their own unit ->

I was wondering how this feat was achievable, I didn't have much knowledge about texturing, after digging the game files & hours of research on the internet, I found my answer.

First of all, all diffuse textures for Dawn of war units are grayscaled, apparently, it's a common practice in video games to use grayscaled texture as you can color them in-game, for 1 texture, you can have multiple colors in-game ->

Dawn of War army painter can color up to 4 parts of a model, in order to do so, it uses another texture that contains 4 color masks, red, green, blue, and alpha.

dow2-texture-mask.png

Each color picked by the painter is mapped to a mask and uses a blend mode to color the grayscaled texture, I applied red, green, and white in this picture and choose the overlay blend mode.

All cool, I can do this on photoshop, but some models got 4 textures, it quickly becomes tedious and repetitive, so I thought about automating the task.
I wrote up a small GUI software to color those textures, here's a small demo video Jaccouille/dow2-texture-painter

That's all folk, I just wanted to share my research, I didn't know any stuff about grayscale textures, happy that I learned something. Maybe it will inspire someone.

For the models, I actually managed to set up a small pipeline on 3dsmax and uses neodex plugin to do the export, it's primitive but it works, only takes ~15min to export a model, but I kinda gave up because the MDX file is still too heavy for my taste (2-3Mb), the file has a ton of keyframe and I didn't find a proper way to delete them without messing up the model.

Last edited:
Level 13
Interesting stuff! I'm excited to use 40k models in the future. Might I suggest using Model Optimizer and Converter v1.2.1 to lower the mdx filesize? I used it and it reduced the mdx filesize quite well.

Interesting stuff! I'm excited to use 40k models in the future. Might I suggest using Model Optimizer and Converter v1.2.1 to lower the mdx filesize? I used it and it reduced the mdx filesize quite well.

I had already tested this tool, it successfully deleted a lot of keyframes but the animation just became too messed up, maybe I'll retry with different options.

Status
Not open for further replies.