• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texture wrapping/exporting woes in gmax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
So I have been trying to do some basic projects in Gmax, assembling a Navi model and then attempting to make a bubble (flying flaming skull). When I try to export it, however, the texture wrapping gets messed up. The issue is that I have multiple faces (such as a jaw, skullcap, wing, etc.) but when I export it and try opening it in, say Wc3 model editor, it only recognizes one face. I know that gmax has some issues using multiple input textures, so I tried consolidating everything into a single texture but to no avail. The resulting model only gets one material, and that material has a completely different mapping than what I gave the original faces. Might I just not be exporting correctly? My first model also had multiple faces but worked like a charm. However, all of the faces had the same wrapping so that may have been why it worked.
I have attached before and after images of the model.

Edit: I had been using DeX as my exporter script, but converted to NeoDex upon recommendations here. The problem still persists.

Attachments

• Bubble in gmax.png
    Bubble in gmax.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 183
  • Bubble in wc3.png
    Bubble in wc3.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Level 2
I'm afraid not.

So I went back and resized the texture, and the wrapping appears to be working better. the only problem now is that when I use NeoDex the textures don't seem to be recognized. I am left with a blank, black model which doesn't recognize the textures. Still, when I exported it using the old DeX method, it seemed to fix the initial problem I was having, so thanks a lot for that. Any ideas as to what may be up now?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, when I delete and re-import the texture it seems to be working. The help is appreciated, I've been trying to mostly teach this to myself but this one issue had me puzzled, and for some reason the onboard gmax tutorials aren't working for me.

use 3ds max 4 +/- tutorials.

Anyways, A good way to learn how NeoDex works is by using it's importer. There also some old samples which show how to set up materials and some objects.

Status
Not open for further replies.