• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Expedition Assault

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: killer1390
This is a mini-game, a defense/survival map. Your hero have to survive the 6 attacking waves, each more difficult. Some bandits are attacking your camp, you must kill them and their repetitive assaults. You have a bunch f units to start and get some every finished waves. This map was created for those who like to have fights and nothing else. Its approximately 30 minutes i think. I have created this map and no one else helped me except those who made the models. I don't know how to protect it so it's not protected and if you have any updates that you want to do ask me.

Version 1.1

-More doodads
-Better terrain (way better)
-Removed all the memory leaks the map had
-Way harder
-Wasting less time
-Modified units
-Enemy units drop items

Version 1.12

-Better terrain
-More doodads
-1 more wave
-3 enemies bosses with attached equipment
-New units
-Improved cinematic
-1 more cinematic
-Still no memory leaks known
-New skills

Keywords:
Mini-game, defense, survival, hero, hard, Army, Bandits, desert, custom, units, models, updated, hero, fight, ogre
Contents

Expedition Assault (Map)

Reviews
13:18, 3rd Feb 2009 Septimus: poorly develop map with memory leak. -- PurplePoot: Reset to pending as the author wishes to update it. -- 21:46, 26th June 2009 Linaze: Boring gameplay, unoriginal heroes, bad terrain, no custom abilities...

M

13:18, 3rd Feb 2009
Septimus: poorly develop map with memory leak.

--

PurplePoot: Reset to pending as the author wishes to update it.

--

21:46, 26th June 2009
Linaze: Boring gameplay, unoriginal heroes, bad terrain, no custom abilities, Rejected

--

19:51, 27th June 2009
Linaze: Terrain is a bit improved but the gameplay is nearly as boring even though it's been a bit improved and the bosses aren't anything special at all. The "new" ability for the hero is just a renamed chain lightning, Rejected

Level 5
Whoa! just played my game again and i saw that it was too easy, and a lot of bandits are not moving. We have too many men. It was not supposed to be like that.

Bah will fix this tomorrow. Too late now, and thx for your comments everyone but there is not a lot of people that take the time to check my map :(

Level 5
Nvm i updated it

Heres the list of things that i updated:

-The Bandits are now moving and not staying at the same spot
-The waves are not bugging and charge at anytime
-There is less soldiers in reinforcements
-Reinforcements region more bigger to make all the men come
-Time respected by the waves

Last edited:
Level 11
If you want to make a cool fun map everyone likes, it should be more then a mini game. I find their are an extreme few number of successful mini games. Try making it more like 15 waves. Also a fun thing to do would be to make units with the same stats (not all please) but with different models. Their are a lot of ones on this sight, and since your map is only 180 kb, you have lots of room to put in fun unique ones. If you don't know how to import models, their is always a tutorial on a model if you look above (or below, i forget) the download link on the models page.

Level 5
If you want to make a cool fun map everyone likes, it should be more then a mini game. I find their are an extreme few number of successful mini games. Try making it more like 15 waves. Also a fun thing to do would be to make units with the same stats (not all please) but with different models. Their are a lot of ones on this sight, and since your map is only 180 kb, you have lots of room to put in fun unique ones. If you don't know how to import models, their is always a tutorial on a model if you look above (or below, i forget) the download link on the models page.

Thanks for the tip, it will be on the next update :thumbs_up:

Level 24
Expedition Assault is a singleplayer map where you control a group of human soldiers that must defeat bandits that attack in waves. The map has been scanned for viruses, contains no crashes and follows the Hive's map submission rules, even though the description could be improved a tad bit by adding some screenshots (in hidden tags) and perhaps some more information.

The gameplay of this map isn't very good. You control a rather large army consisting of ~35 units and need to fight of bandits that spawn at the top of the map and run down to attack you. You also control a hero, but he is just like the regular Warcraft Paladin, I think some custom abilities could make at least him more interesting. The map is overall really simple and fun for a few minutes, but the map gets boring rather quick since you do basically the same things throughout the entire map. You should add some more things such as bosses and other things to make the map more interesting. I also suggest decreasing the size of both your army and the amount of enemies that spawn as your units are almost to many to control right now.

The terrain of the map was decent. The height variation was good but the map lacked tile variation and the entire map consisted of just desert, except for a road whose shape was really unnatural. You should also add a more doodads as there are only rocks and trees right now, cactus's and other environmental doodads would make the map look less empty. Perhaps adding a small oasis' would look good as well.

This map only had one cinematic but it was kinda simple and stiff. There was only one camera and no fade filters or anything like that at all. There was just a few transmissions and that camera I mentioned above. I suggest adding several cameras, fade filters and some movement to the cinematic to make it more interesting and less boring to watch.

I also found some minor things that should be looked into/fixed:
  • The hero model's lacked a camera making the portrait look really bad.
  • The icons of the archer unit and the hero weren't very fitting.
To conclude, the gameplay made this map rather boring to play and the empty terrain wasn't so interesting either. The intro cinematic was too stiff which made it rather boring to watch. All in all, the idea behind this map was kinda good, the execution, however, was not enough.

Voted for disapproval with a 2/5 (Lacking) rating.