• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Exp System (Trigger Version)

Level 5
Well the title says it all.. I'll just get right into it.

For this to work you would have to have already set the experience gain to 0%. (In this tutorial you will get experience when a unit controlled by Player 12 (Brown) dies)

First of all make the trigger and name it "Award Experience". After you made the trigger add this event,
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit owned by Player 12 (Brown) Dies
After you made that event make this action
  • Actions
    • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within 1000.00 of (Position of (Dying unit))) and do (Actions)
After you made this action you will see another action looking thing under the action you just made, right click on it and press "New Action", now make this action
  • Actions
    • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within 1000.00 of (Position of (Dying unit))) and do (Actions)
      • Loop - Actions
        • Hero - Add (Level of (Dying unit)) experience to (Picked unit), Show level-up graphics
The cool thing about this trigger is that you can easily set the experience you want the hero to get by setting the units level that he is killing..

BONUS:
To make it so the owner of the hero gets gold for what ever level the hero is add this action
  • Actions
      • Loop - Actions
        • Hero - Add (Level of (Dying unit)) experience to (Picked unit, Show level-up graphics
        • Player - Add (Level of (Dying unit)) to (Owner of (Picked unit)) Current gold
EXTRA BONUS: When you are on the main window of World Editor click on the tab at the top labeled "Advanced" then press "Game Interface..."
Now a new window should of opened. Click on the little check box at the top labeled "Use Custom Game Interface", now scroll down until you see the text "Text - General - 'Level %u', double click it and change it to "|cffff00ff+%u Experience|r" then press OK and OK again. (This sets it from where it said the units level to saying "+(How much experience you get) Experience" (And its also in purple, the same color as your experience bar!)

EXTRA EXTRA BONUS: This extra, extra bonus will teach you how to add floating text which tells you how much experience you are getting. Add these actions under your last action.
  • Floating Text - Create floating text that reads (+ + ((String((Level of (Dying unit)))) + Experience)) above (Dying unit) with Z offset 0.00, using font size 8.00 (<== The font size is nagotiatable, I like the size 8), color (100.00%, 0.00%, 100.00%), and 0.00% transparency
  • Floating Text - Set the velocity of (Last created floating text to 20.00 towards 90.00 degrees
  • Floating Text - Change (Last created floating text): Disable permanence
  • Floating Text - Change the lifespan of (Last created floating text) to 3.00 seconds
The first action will create the floating text in a purple color, the second action will make the floating text slowly move up, the third action will make the floating text able to eventually dissapear, and the fourth action makes the floating text dissapear in 3.00 seconds.

O.K well.. The tutorial is DONE! If you did it right you are 1 step cooler to having a kick ass map! (sPy helped me with the floating texts when I got stuck)

Last edited:
Level 5
Well think about it, a tutorial is to help somebody who doesn't know how to do something. Just because this tutorial is easy for a person like you to do doesn't mean that makes it too simple. If I just started playing WC3 and wanted to learn how to make a trigger based exp system should I now be allowed to see it because some people who were better thought it was too easy for them?!

So you would prefer a 100 lined trigger to do pretty much the same thing better? I don't think that makes it worthless, just convenient...
10 lines are better than 100 for sure, but example in form of 10 times 10 lines is better then just 1 example with 10 lines!

Show how to add random experience instead of that yours!
Show how to enable disable floating text that show that witch command!
Show how to add more exp if dying unit equal to hero!
Create unit experience system that will show unit level above them!
Add more more more!
Explain what experience do in gameplay settings!

As you can see there are 2 many good examples!

Also to be approved your tutorial bust be formatted!
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...t-tutorial-please-read-before-posting-119320/
That means that you don't need hidden tags there!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It leaks.... Which is beyond sloppy for something people are meant to learn from.

What if someone wants a difficulty multiplyer?
What about summoned enemies (people may want them ignored in the case of bonus units)?
What about team support (why should the owner of the dying unit gain EXP)?
What about anti carry support (high level heroes power leveling low ones)?
What about TK support (why does TKing give experience)?
What about level restrictions (like wow, where low level monsters stop giving EXP past a point)?

so.... as you see.... not very useful at all....

Level 5
What if someone wants a difficulty multiplyer?
What about summoned enemies (people may want them ignored in the case of bonus units)?
What about team support (why should the owner of the dying unit gain EXP)?
What about anti carry support (high level heroes power leveling low ones)?
What about TK support (why does TKing give experience)?
What about level restrictions (like wow, where low level monsters stop giving EXP past a point)?
... I could of fixed some of this in the tutorial, but instead of telling me whats wrong people like Dark didn't give me any advice, just said how it's a bad tutorial... But idc anymore I'm not fixing the tutorial to have people bitch at how it sucks all the time... JUST DELETE IT!