• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Exist this map kind?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
exit map where u harvest materias and craft items?

since i played few rpg map but still just dont got any where u harvest the materia for ur items, allways droped from mobs or just respawned, or mobs droped it.

i talk about something like this, on my demo map, i mean harvest is similiar like here

Attachments

• Buff test 3.w3x
    41.8 KB · Views: 54
Level 17
y i know many exist, like rpg, survival, td, normal, dota kindas but i dont got yet a map where have normal craft, item harvesting from nature (mean harvest herb and craft potion at pharmacist, harvest wood and stone, iron make weapon), so i talk about get materials and craft for ur hero maps

Level 14
I'm not really sure what your trying to do here, but is it similar to this?:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/general-mapping-tutorials-278/enterable-buildings-163996/

So you want a player to be abled to gather materials outside, which they can then use to craft items inside a building?

You could try implementing something like this:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/diablo-iii-warcraft-606/diiiw-inventory-154994/

(It doesn't hurt to take a look as long as your not stealing)
Not that you would, but still :S If your gonna use someones system, give credits ^.^
Creating this by yourself is a pain in the @ss, and I haven't seen any better inventory system then Anachron's.

Level 17
i checked but there also like in every rpg, the items simple drop appear (drop mobs, or just buy etc), i find something where u claim the things not just pick up, like forgeing bush like was in age empires, dig out the tree logs, so main point in how to get the materials for craft not on combine/craft.

like harvest mushrooms for little mushrooms potions etc, i tlak about this kinda map where not just buy and get from drops, u must dig out/harvest/maybe seed the things :)

Level 14
i checked but there also like in every rpg, the items simple drop appear (drop mobs, or just buy etc), i find something where u claim the things not just pick up, like forgeing bush like was in age empires, dig out the tree logs, so main point in how to get the materials for craft not on combine/craft.

like harvest mushrooms for little mushrooms potions etc, i tlak about this kinda map where not just buy and get from drops, u must dig out/harvest/maybe seed the things :)

Ooooooooh, your asking if such a map already exists xD
I was a little confused at start because of your first sentence:

Either ways I wouldn't know of such a map since I don't play that much maps in warcraft 3.
But seeing that you've already created such a system in your example map it might be nice to build this yourself. It would be rather unique indeed...

I think people would really appreciate it if you could create this in your RPG template ^.^
It would be even better if you could create a GUI trigger that can be used for initializing item types that should be dropped from customly specified shrubs, mushrooms, rocks etc... This way it can become completely GUI friendly ;)

B.t.w. I like your idea of creating map templates. I might create one for online multiplayer game modes :O
Systems such as Capture the flag, deathmatch etc...
All in vJass of course and with small initializing triggers to make it somewhat GUI friendly.

Level 17
yea, i mean to that. i was curios if this style exist since i got few ideea but maybe few people already maded and with better logic.

since if we want les item but more combination, atm i think about make 5-6 harvestable item type (and 1 timer for every harvesting unit via linked list) andy item types easily configurable but the point is u cant do so much variation like in mmorpg, coz there have random generated items (i mean here, lets say i craft a armor then random how much defence, and attribute it give) its maybe work via hashtable and item indexing but sadly u cant modify the item tooltip via trigger :/

Level 17
Have you ever seen the following tutorial?:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/jass-ai-scripts-tutorials-280/lua-object-generation-191740/

This way you might be abled to generate random item objects through Lua script ^.^
Including massive amounts of custom objects without having to add them manually...

that arent make the loading time extremly long if u create few hundred item?
also tooltip is problem too, i dont think the chooseing this path the best way coz i dont want wait 10minute for loading a single map :p

Level 14
that arent make the loading time extremly long if u create few hundred item?
also tooltip is problem too, i dont think the chooseing this path the best way coz i dont want wait 10minute for loading a single map :p

Erm actually, it's used to physically create the objects inside the object editor inside your JNGP so you won't have to create them manually. It's got nothing to do with in-game objects ;)

With Lua script your abled to use loops and variables and such in order to create massive amounts of objects inside your object editor at the same time.
In this case the items can have random stats if you script them to have random stats...
All you have to do is write a script, save your map, close the editor, open the editor, open your map and boom the objects should be there...

Level 17
Erm actually, it's used to physically create the objects inside the object editor inside your JNGP so you won't have to create them manually. It's got nothing to do with in-game objects ;)

With Lua script your abled to use loops and variables and such in order to create massive amounts of objects inside your object editor at the same time.
In this case the items can have random stats if you script them to have random stats...
All you have to do is write a script, save your map, close the editor, open the editor, open your map and boom the objects should be there...

but see, the problem is, i use atm around 200-300 item, so lets say if i want random things then minimum i must do from every item 5-6=>1200-1800 item is enough much when loading the map, no? :/

Level 14
but see, the problem is, i use atm around 200-300 item, so lets say if i want random things then minimum i must do from every item 5-6=>1200-1800 item is enough much when loading the map, no? :/

Sorry for this necromancy everyone.

Answer: No, extra custom objects in your object editor do not increase loading time of your map.
It does increase downloading time because it increases the size of your map.
But with the download speed nowadays I don't think that would be such a problem.

Something you do have to be carefull with is the following:
A multiplayer map should stay under 8 MB -> 8192 KB -> 8388608 B in order to be playable.

Level 12
I haven't tested or played it but I don't see any resource gathering system such as mining based on rocks, mushrooms, etc etc in the description... :S?

Is this relevant?

This. Plus, I only tried to answer the op's question/s which is/are:

since i played few rpg map but still just dont got any where u harvest the materia for ur items, allways droped from mobs or just respawned, or mobs droped it.

i talk about something like this, on my demo map, i mean harvest is similiar like here

Well, those stuff are in the map. It's a bit difficult to explain the map, trying it would be better than reading the map info.

Level 5
Hey, shadowzvs, your idea here is very nice.
If I understood correctly, you are creating a map where you collect many resources, like stones, mushrooms (!), herbs, feathers!!
Then you use those things to craft items!
This idea is veeery nice man!
Keep up the good work here, I really want to play this map.
Hope this is some kind of incentive to you finish this map as soon as possible (=

Level 17
Answer: No, extra custom objects in your object editor do not increase loading time of your map.

correct me if i am wrong but if i understanded what u say then indifferent if i increase my map size with 1 mbyte object (lets say 100 ability and each lv100, or 1000 item) or with 1mb model (a unit model) coz its same loading speed, right?

@hamsterpellet
hehe this take long since i got work and pretty low time now for wc3 also i got absolute 0 creativity with terrain :D

@Hexcellion
i tested it, ty the link
but somehow i cant do anything, cant go outdside from champion pick (i tryed professions option, its dont work in single player?)

Last edited:
Level 14
correct me if i am wrong but if i understanded what u say then indifferent if i increase my map size with 1 mbyte object (lets say 100 ability and each lv100, or 1000 item) or with 1mb model (a unit model) coz its same loading speed, right?

Yes exactly, the loading time basically is everything that you initialize in your map.
Objects and other stuff inside the editor that are not initialized will not slow down loading speed because they are simply stored inside the map. (map size)

For example: An initialization trigger slows loading time and the script that you put in the header of your map. Basically anything that initializes your map.
The rest is map size and increases downloading time.

To test it: does Ultimate Terraining Map have more loading time when you haven't placed anything then a normal map without imports? ;)
No, it will only increase downloading time for players who haven't got the map yet since the size is bigger then the normal map...

Be advised: pre-placed units, doodads etc are also part of initialization...
People sometimes place pre-placed units inside the editor to make sure that the game has already loaded these units with their ability's, so that during gameplay the game will have less trouble creating new units of that type or casting the same ability's. This is called preloading, it ensures that everything will run smooth throughout the game by putting it inside the map initialization.

I hope this helps ;)

Level 14
shadowvzs said:
Also I got absolute 0 creativity with terrain :D

I've got plenty, ask me ^,^

B.t.w. I'm thinking about creating a forest on top of a floating rock but it's quite a narrow forrest path, what would be best:

1. Creating a higher slope with trees on top and rocks on the side which then has a road in the middle?

2. Create an all-round forrest in which the units can freely move around?
(This one I'm unabled to figure out with only 7 big squares of grid in width >.> Not sure how to make it look nice :S)

Opinion plz ^.^ Should I go for option 1 or 2?

99576616.jpg

22248179.jpg

Have no idea how I would do the forest ^.^ Anyone got an idea? (It does need area's for neutral enemies :S)
The forest looks like shit atm xD I know...

Sorry if this is off-topic...

EDIT:
forestb.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.