• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

European Terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Hello guys I've been in the request forum if anyone can spare a Europe map but since no one responded and they said they I should make it myself so here is the terrain. The Iceland, British Isles, northern part of Africa and Asia Minor is still not finish and its still its not finished.

What can you say with this wip? Is it good?

143228d1423146164-european-terrain-europe.png

Attachments

• Europe.png
    Europe.png
    1 MB · Views: 670
Level 36
Yep, that's Europe.

Suggestions:
  • Barrens Dirt or Sunken Ruins Sand for Africa/Turkey/Anatolia regions (looks better)
  • Mix Ashenvale Grassy Dirt sporadically with your grass tile in forested parts of map for variation & to simulate patchiness of forests and farmfields
  • Identify central agricultural regions of Europe and cover them with Village Crops tile
  • Use Icecrown Snow, not Northrend/Lordaeron Winter (it's got a better texture in my opinion)
  • Use Village Rock or something similar for the mountains which are not snow-capped (obviously some are forested, so maybe don't cover the whole mountain, but use liberally) - and mix it in a bit with the snow to indicate cliffs. The Alps are rocky!

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Hmmm... it definitely looks like Europe. But only in eyes of an European.

1. Scandinavia is way too wide, it should be taller (North-South)
2. The Northern part of Africa should be bigger (it should spread more to the East(Tunisia almost touches Sicily)).
3. Aegean sea should me smaller compared to Black Sea.
4. Italy actually is even more diagonal than you presented it.
5. Baltic states should be smaller (compared to Finland).
6. Black Sea should be more to the East (If you draw a line down from the Eastern border of Finland to the South Bulgaria should fit between the line and Black Sea.

Enough, I do not bother to look up for more errors.

So, you need a Europe map? I got a template for you which i made for another request. It is kinda big though, and you will need to use the JNGP editor to save it, since size is larger than what the vanilla editor allows. Not a big deal though since everyone should be using it. It is based on a heightmap drawn from an actual map, so it is 99% accurate. Topography is also very accurate, though you may need to spend some extra work touching it up. Attaching it below.

Attachments

• EuropeTemplate.w3x
    1.6 MB · Views: 73
Level 19
So, you need a Europe map? I got a template for you which i made for another request. It is kinda big though, and you will need to use the JNGP editor to save it, since size is larger than what the vanilla editor allows. Not a big deal though since everyone should be using it. It is based on a heightmap drawn from an actual map, so it is 99% accurate. Topography is also very accurate, though you may need to spend some extra work touching it up. Attaching it below.

Thank you for sharing your awesome template but I will use mine. Your map is really great and it inspires me to do work for more.

Edit: Could I use your tileset because it really looks more realistic to me than the default tilesets.

Last edited:
Step 1: Download the following tools:

Terrain 1.0
WinMPQ

Step 2: Create a map with the dimensions you want, with deep water level and LordaeronSummer tileset. It is very important that it is Lordaeron Summer, otherwise it will not work (you can change it later).

Step 3: Create an image wich has the same dimensions as the map, except +1 on each axis. So a 256x256 map needs a heightmap with the dimensions 257x257. Make the background black, and start painting with grey on it. Here are some examples of how it might look:

war3map5.jpg

war3map7.jpg

war3map8.jpg

Step 4: Save the image as .tga (using photoshop, gimp, or similar). Open the Heightmap tool you downloaded, and enter the paths of your map and .tga file. Save the converted file as war3map.w3e.

Step 5: Open your map using WinMPQ. If you cannot find the map when browsing, make sure to set "file formats" to "all". Find a file named war3map.w3e and remove it, then import the new file you just generated. Close the MPQ editor and try opening the map in the editor. Your terrain should now be shaped after your image. Edges might be a bit rough though, so you want to sweep over them with the smooth tool a couple of times. Try tweaking the brightness and contrast of the heightmap until you have one which works well. After the heightmap is properly imported, it is safe to change the tileset.

IMPORTANT NOTE: As heightmaps can make the terrain angles surpass the maximum allowed by the editor, you need to use the MiscData hack to remove limits on cliff steepness. Otherwise the editor will crash when you try to edit the terrain where it is too steep. You can find the file attached to the bottom of this thread, and paste it into C:\Program Files\Warcraft III\UI. If the UI folder does not exist in your wc3 directory, you can just create it. Happy terraining.

Last edited:
Looks great. Britain, spain and turkey are all quite accurate. However, norway is supposed to have a bulge pointint inwards at its top/center, rather than outwards, and you need to work on the black sea. Right now, it's top is kind of inverted - instead of having one bay shooting out from the top, you should have one each top side, surrounding the crimean peninsula. Study some images. Italy could also use some refinement, but i can see why you'd not make it as thin as in real life, for playability reasons. Overall good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.