• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My 2nd Terrain, need criticsm and advices please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hi, this is my another WIP terrain, it is not finish yet and still on progress. I made it after M0rbid and others teach me on how to improve my terrain on the first ones and the link that M0rbid gave. So how is my this terrain?

Please let me know so that I can improve it. Thank you

Attachments

• 1-9-2011 1-42-25 AM.png
    1-9-2011 1-42-25 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 226
Level 1
Hello!

It a good terrain for your 2nd try, still there things you need to improve.
1. It´s better if you wouldn´t use blizzard cliffs for the river. I would recommend you using the lower tool to look more natural. There are many tutorials on how to make rivers maybe they´ll help.
2. The spam of these wheat doodads in the background looks strange. Maybe you could remove some of those.
3. You can improve your terrain if you use more tile variation.
4. Don´t place units like that. It looks too random and downgrades your terrain. Take some time to plan the placement of your units.
5. Use more doodads : fences, signs, etc. so that your terrain doesn´t look so plain and give more appeal to your town.
Well, I hope I could help you.

Level 4
Don't use blizzard cliffs for a start, use the raise and lower tool. Use the fogged sky, not this ugly felwood sky, ugh. You need custom trees, these blizzard ones don't fit in with the HQ buildings! Placing units into a terrain is a minus.

Hello!

It a good terrain for your 2nd try, still there things you need to improve.
1. It´s better if you wouldn´t use blizzard cliffs for the river. I would recommend you using the lower tool to look more natural. There are many tutorials on how to make rivers maybe they´ll help.
2. The spam of these wheat doodads in the background looks strange. Maybe you could remove some of those.
3. You can improve your terrain if you use more tile variation.
4. Don´t place units like that. It looks too random and downgrades your terrain. Take some time to plan the placement of your units.
5. Use more doodads : fences, signs, etc. so that your terrain doesn´t look so plain and give more appeal to your town.
Well, I hope I could help you.

Ok sure, I will make changes on them now. By the way, Oziris, can I know what are the differences between HQ models and HD models that you mentioned?

Level 4
HQ- High quality/HD- High defenition. HD is clearly better the HQ, the textures, sharpness and that stuff is a lot better, but we don't use those words in WC3.
We use High Resolution for better textures on the doodads or HQ.

Oh I see....Ok thank you... :) Now im working on the changes. Will upload later when finish.

Here it is, my updated terrain...I used raise and lower and smooth to made the land. Can I know how is it?

Attachments

• 1-11-2011 9-40-08 AM.png
    1-11-2011 9-40-08 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 136
Level 17
- Trees look spammed
- Hardly any backing
- Purple box? :|
- Looks like there are way too many rays
- Needs more environment.

It's not horrible, but it could deal with some adjustments and improvements.
Keep on improving! :)

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Ok sure but purple box? where is the purple box?
It's located by the trees to the left.
Normally I'd start mentioning flaws but with this I can't fathom a reason to do so, as they are 'oh-so-very' obvious.
I recommend you to scrap this and start over from scratch.

Put more thought to it, is the only constructive thing I can say at this point. Pay more attention to details, and spend more time on your terrains in general.

Again I recommend you to observe how 'good' terrains are executed.
Additionally, following M0rbid's guide should really provide you with everything you need.
When you consider your terrain to be done, I'd suggest you to reconsider it.
Observe it thorougly and ask yourself questions such as 'Does this look good?' 'Does this look natural?'

Status
Not open for further replies.