• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Entire Map VS Playable Map Area

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 33
The title says it all, what's the different between them ?
These are the GUI descriptions for them;

Entire Map
This is the entire map, including areas which cannot normally be reached by units.

Playable Map Area
This is the area to which units are restricted. This area typically extends just beyond the camera bounds.

You see those words in red ?
I wanna know that meaning, in details.

I mean, what is the "area which cannot normally reached by units" ? Cliffs ?

And, what is "This area typically extends just beyond the camera bounds", is this the black area outside map border ?

I want to make a spell that creates a random point in the map, which is efficient yet logic to be used ?
Because you know, I don't want to create a point outside the map, it's pretty waste.

Level 10
Simply as you said - Entire area meaning when you have the out of bounds black part, cliffs, unplayable areas you create.

Playable Map Area as stated above means the area in when a unit can play. all the terrian that is walkable, flying, etc.

I believe you you should use playable map area yet this could in effect for what ever you are creating be put in areas that a player cant offically reach. Just make sure you restrict it incase lets say the point is on a building, Ocean, Cliff, etc.

Now i maybe wrong so don't take everything I'm saying as fact its just what I've learned and experienced

Level 33
Now I just need a list of possibilities on what condition should I exclude the point to be created, here's the list for now;
Water
Cliffs
Building

That is the list for condition for the point not to be spawned, if there's anything else needs to be added, tell me.

Level 10
Like i stated could even restrict depending on what you are using it for. In rpg people have taverns or hero picking areas which shouldnt be effect, or boss areas. Same for AOS with their bases.

You may also want to restrict if people have hills or terrian with certain height, trees, destructible, doodades, on top of units. I dont know what your using it for

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Entire map includes every single terrain node and all tiles they make. Playable field area is a subset of that which has the edges removed to create a border. The border is used to remove the ugly void that is off the sides of the map so as to improve emersion by not allowing the players to feel that they are moving around a small space with edges.

The size of the playable field is defined when altering the size of the map but with "modify map bounds" flag turned off.
When moving units it is good practice to check that the destination location is within the playable field area and only if it is move the unit to that location. This prevents units shooting off the edges of maps (into shadow area), sliding along edges of maps or even crashing maps if the unit goes off the edge of the entire map and fails to be displaced back.

Status
Not open for further replies.