• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Enterable Buildings

Level 3
Making a Decent Building You Can Enter
In this tutorial, I will attempt to teach you my favorite method of making an enterable building with an interior.

Section 1: The Outside
This is one of the simplest processes. Just open the Object Editor (F6), go to the Doodads tab and select Create Doodad (CTRL+Shift+N).
attachment.php

Select "torch" from the props list (or any other doodad that has the same pathing as mushrooms). Change the model file used to whatever you'd like. (I will use the barracks model for my example) Edit the default scale so the door is realistically sized compared to most units (I have mine set at 4.00). Then place your doodad on your map. Create pathing blockers around it so you can’t walk through walls (However, make it so you can still get rather close to the door).
exterior.jpg
Ignore the regions, those are meant for later.

Section 2: The Interior
(For the walls of the interior, I'm using Cliff0 by inhuman89, and for the floor, EpicRPGTileset, by67chrome, but you can always just use normal cliffs from perhaps Dalaran or Cityscape.)

Just make the walls of the building using the cliff tool, and then just add the tiles or any decor that you'd like to add. If you want to get fancy, you can make a ramp to look like a staircase and an upstairs floor.
inside.jpg
^Like so.

Section 3: The Triggers
These are some more simple triggers I’ve made. Make regions in the front of door as you saw in the first screenshot. Do same with interior and the stairs. Feel free to name them whatever you like, I usually leave them with their default names, but in the following trigger examples I'll make the names self-explanatory.
regions.jpg
^It should end up looking something like this.

Now for the triggering, open up the trigger editor and create a folder named "Doors", or whatever you like. Make another trigger and name it "Enters Keep" or something along those lines. Make a location variable named KeepLocation as well, to handle all the locations. Make it look something similar to this:
  • Enter Keep
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit enters EnterKeepRegion <gen>
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set KeepLocation = Center of InsideTheKeep <gen>
      • Unit - Move (Triggering unit) instantly to KeepLocation
      • Camera - Pan camera for Owner of triggering unit to KeepLocation over 0.00 seconds
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_KeepLocation)
Do the same for the exiting the building and going up the stairs. For example:
  • Exit Keep
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit enters ExitKeepRegion <gen>
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set KeepLocation = OutsideTheKeep <gen>
      • Unit - Move (Triggering unit) instantly to KeepLocation
      • Camera - Pan camera for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) to KeepLocation over 0.00 seconds
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_KeepLocation)
You can view the example map for more examples, such as going up or down stairs. However, the example map leaks, so make sure you use the above triggers as references to keep the map free of leaks.

Attachments

• Triggers.jpg
    Triggers.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 843
  • doodads.jpg
    doodads.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 5,387
  • example map.w3x
    20.8 KB · Views: 814
Last edited by a moderator:
Level 9
Before asking someone else to find the errors on your tutorial, run the spelling and grammar check in Microsoft Word first and edit accordingly, then we can proceed to giving you feedback that amounts to something above the 5th grade level.

Level 31
Level 3
i dient mean that linking the rules of makeing a tutorial sure seems liek a passive agressive way of saying "You screwed up big!" im not just talkign about grammer errors i dident wnat u to find my errors i wanted u to tell me what ur trying to get at!

Level 31
i couldent figure that out if its so bad just delete the damn thing i made it to help some people not get chewed out by all of you.

Nobody was bashing you. We are requesting you to use proper format and fix the spelling/grammar errors.

If you refuse to use the proper format and fix what we told you to do. No matter which site you submit your tutorial, it would never been approve because every site have their own personal guidelines of what format should be used for a tutorial.

Level 11
hey i got some pretty common sense questions,i already know the answer but i want to reconfirm it with you
1st :why must we use the pathing as mushroom ?
i haven't found a answer for this
2nd : why do you need to make the building a doodad?
my answer : so that you can't click it
3rd : because you made that building have a mushroom pathing,you have to take the trouble to add pathing blocker (this is the reason i asked the first question)

1st :why must we use the pathing as mushroom ?

It is up to you. It is just meant to make it easier for pathing. If you can find a pathing type that suits your model and won't let them pass through, then that would be the best method. :) Otherwise, pathing blockers will work.

2nd : why do you need to make the building a doodad?
my answer : so that you can't click it

Yep, pretty much. Units also take up more memory than doodads, and since you don't need the building to be a unit, you can make it a doodad. If you want to make it play animations, you can always make it a destructable. If you want it to be more modifiable in-game, then you can always make it a unit too. ;D