• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Enlarged Minimap Icons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Been fumbling around with myself for a few days trying to figure out a way to make icons on the minimap (unit/hero/building) at least twice the size they are now.

I would like some level of control over this if it's possible.

I have an epic size map and I would like the units to be more noticed. Any help is appreciated.

Bannar

Code Reviewer
Level 26
You have to make those icons by our self. It shouldn't be hard for just changing their size. The path where you can find those is: UI\Minimap.

For implementing them later into the game you have to Advanced -> Game Interface find fields: Icon: Minimap. Find those which you want to be changed and enter yours icon's path.

Level 12
Thanks for the replies.

I have previously tried resizing the tga to a larger size with no visible success. I'll try increasing the size by 20x and see if there's something more noticeable. Perhaps the change I made was too slight.

I've also tried adjusting the model size for the minimap.mdx file, but I'm more experienced creating models than tweaking models I'm not familiar with.

Indeed, no success. I believe it might have something to do with the MDX but I'm not familiar with editing WC3 MDX.

Anyone out there knowledgeable able to tinker with the file and see if it produces larger icons on the minimap?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bannar

Code Reviewer
Level 26
Thats great! I've just checked that minimap icon can not go larger than 32x32 pixels. So.. it sucks, no matter than I've been importing 3 times bigger models/textures - that was just createing square 32x32 because my icon was much bigger so shape has been changed to maintain size.

Level 12
Thats great! I've just checked that minimap icon can not go larger than 32x32 pixels. So.. it sucks, no matter than I've been importing 3 times bigger models/textures - that was just createing square 32x32 because my icon was much bigger so shape has been changed to maintain size.

I always create icons of infinitely larger size, then shrink. You get better quality images.

There IS a MDX associated with the 32x32 blp, but when I open the MDX/MDL, it shows up as blank and the rest is jibberish to me.

Are there any folks out there with a grasp of the WC3 models that can look into enlarging the MiniMap-Hero.mdx to accept a larger blp size and actively show it on the minimap? I'm not looking for something insane, I'd just really like to get this extra bit of immersion in the map I'm developing.

Status
Not open for further replies.