• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Energy Saving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Oil will run out before 2050 unless they find some ridiculous amount of it in the North Pole. It is possible to produce pure oil based fuels today but it would cost to much to produce it in larger quantities.

Atomic will last for quite a while, natural gases are hard to tell since the oil is more common use, coal is very outdated and wont last very long if all nuclear reactors keep getting shut down around the world.

And for the unlimited sources.
Water power is very good but its limited and it is not sustainable since all water sources change from time to time.
Wind is not very reliable and does not give as much as water, but it can be built on most parts of the world and is environmentally pure (except the metals and the placement of it.
Sun gives to little to make use of it, maybe in a small house on the country side or on your car roof but other than that its pretty much useless to fuel our industries and stuff.

I think the major problem is that the consumption is increasing, a sustained population could only decrease its need of energy. Making fuel effective cars does not help very much and electrical cars still need the electricity. I'd say we get more wind and water power, and when they produce less than required we should start the nuclear reactors to fill everything up.

New research has found a possible way to increase the amount of energy produced from Uranium so that we can use more than the current 10% of its energy. That means there are still a lot of energy left there for us to collect.

Level 16
@ EloTheMan
Good review, but trust me the sun gives huge amount of energy, also the use of solar energy has been developed since the use of "Parabolic Concentrators".

You should also remember what the principle of energy conservation says, with good optimization and energy auditing an energy resource should last longer.

And as for nuclear, well, that could lead us into political issues. But bottom line it is very pollutant with its waste radiations no matter how deep these wastes are buried they will still emit radiations for many years.

And as for energy conservation, as I told you we could use energy better, example, the air conditioner takes the heat from the room and drop it to the ambient so why not use that energy dropped to the ambient in an industrial process or something that requires heat.

Level 11
@ EloTheMan
Good review, but trust me the sun gives huge amount of energy, also the use of solar energy has been developed since the use of "Parabolic Concentrators".

The only place where we can put up "sun collectors" is in the desserts. Other than that we are already using about 80-90% (my estimation) in Northern Europe of the sun energy. It is used biologically to supply our agriculture, forests and outdoor warmth with energy. Believe me its useless to invest it in countries as the only place where it can be built upon is on the top of our constructions. Of course, the sun powered fuel stations for electrical cars are kinda neat even though it takes 8 hours to load one car.

@ EloTheManAnd as for nuclear, well, that could lead us into political issues. But bottom line it is very pollutant with its waste radiations no matter how deep these wastes are buried they will still emit radiations for many years.
You do know that the Tjernobyl incident created more radiation and pollution in Europe than all the storage's we have together. It has not left us yet, if you look at the health surveys done by social authorities in Europe you will notice an increase of health problems since the accident. You wont find any official radiation records that points at the Tjernobyl accidents (other than the ones in the area) as the governments knows that the pollution will be gone in time, and shutting down all reactors in fear would only create an energy crisis in Europe.

The new technology that I spoke of collects parts of the radiation and converts it in to energy (how I do not know yet, its in the early stages of research and thus secret).

We need to make use of lightning, it has millions of voltage and can reach up to 30,000 °C. If we could somehow capture it we could definitely use that enormous voltage and heat for enormous resources.

Lightnings are pure energy but we cant collect it, only the heat it creates can be harvested. But as usual, converting heat to electricity is ineffective as we only get 1/3 of the actual energy and since its only a temporary heat source it will be gone as soon as it has started to heat up the steam generator.

Also one more thing; nuclear contains enormous amounts of energy and if we would put more research on it we could collect it more safely and more energy effective. Because of the resistance against nuclear power most authorities are on the edge of shutting down their nuclear operations, instead of investing in it to make it better in every aspects.

Tjernobyl was an example of bad authority.
Fukushima was an example of how third party factors can jeopardize it.

Last edited:
Level 7

It isn't infinite!:ogre_rage: it will only last until sometime after the sun burns out but it has a lot of advantages, the only problem would be the set up cost and maintenance.

but i will go with oil as my energy source that won't run out.
we use it now and it is produced by either geothermalGeological processes or it comes from algae ~ random american scientist article that i will post a link to when i find it.

Edit: changed a word

Last edited:
The sun is due to burn out in 5 billion years.

Civilizations have been around for a little more than 7000 years now.
Compared to 5 billion, this number is incredibly tiny.

Hence, I say that we should focus on harvesting the Sun's power most of all.

What was the name of that index they use to measure a civilization's level of development? (Based on how much of their star's energy they collect)

edit
Biological alternatives work too.
They don't harm us at least. (For all I know.)

Level 19
It isn't infinite!:ogre_rage: it will only last until sometime after the sun burns out but it has a lot of advantages, the only problem would be the set up cost and maintenance.

but i will go with oil as my energy source that won't run out.
we use it now and it is produced by either geothermal processes or it comes from algae ~ random american scientist article that i will post a link to when i find it.

You are just too retarded to understand it.

Level 7
I believe Algae can be used to make bio fuels, not actual pure oil.

Wrong, algae can be converted to oil,
all crude oil is, is a complicated mixture of hydrocarbon chains with oxidized hydrocarbon chains and a bunch of other substances, gasoline is a mixture of long and short hydrocarbon chains. algae's have a high lipid production(primarily of fat) and all fats contain hydrocarbon chains.
you are following me right?
anyway in a series of experiments a group of american scientists decided to see who was right, them or the russians(the view of the russian scientists was that crude oil was created by geological processes) the study showed that both ways function ie they create crude oil. The only reason we don't turn algae into crude oil is the energy cost(ie you put in more energy then you get out, substantially more)

@Mortar, I know how it works, you just drill deep holes into the ground until the ambient temperature is capable of boiling water and you set up a steam turbine(you could do more complicated setups using gasses or other liquids but, this is just i simple demonstration that i do understand the basics of how it works)
what are the problems? 1: you have to drill down deep enough, which gets expensive, and right now unless you live near an active volcano it isn't cost effective to drill that deep, not to mention maintenance costs for the steam turbines etc...

2:I would also like to point out that the earth will eventually crash into the sun do to its decaying orbit(thus ending the need for Geothermal energy) and way before then the sun is supposed to stop providing enough heat to support life on earth(again no need for the Geothermal energy anymore) and even if Humans are still surviving eventually the earth will end up like mars and have a solid core, thus removing earths internal heat supply. True earths core will still be hot for millions of years after the sun burns out it still will stop being warm, thus not infinity.

I did not say I didn't like Geothermal energy, it just isn't very cost effective

another problem with just Geothermal energy is how are you going to power your car? you can't use Litium batteries they only hold 150KJ per Kg compared to gasolines 7000(and something) you could use hydrogen which is pretty good at 3000-4000 Kj per Kg but then you run into the problem that electrolysis(the most common way to get hydrogen) isn't very efficient.

In closing there are no renewable energy sources: first law of thermodynamics, in a closed system entropy can only increase or remain the same or in other words eventually no energy will be able to be transferred because everything will have the same amount of energy.

Level 16
every thing will burn out eventually, first law of thermodynamics(as stated above), come on, this is basic stuff you learn it in your first physics class.

Yes but that doesn't mean you can't extract energy, energy is everywhere around us even in our bodies.

How a piece of ice made, by extracting the energy from the water and droping it to the ambient thus changing its phase from liquid to solid, when this ice gets out of the fridge it gains an energy from the ambient, so as you see the energy input is balanced with the energy output. We may not have the proper knowledge or science to extract that energy from the environment but my point of view there are really really huge amount of energy around us.

Level 7
Yes but that doesn't mean you can't extract energy, energy is everywhere around us even in our bodies.

How a piece of ice made, by extracting the energy from the water and droping it to the ambient thus changing its phase from liquid to solid, when this ice gets out of the fridge it gains an energy from the ambient, so as you see the energy input is balanced with the energy output. We may not have the proper knowledge or science to extract that energy from the environment but my point of view there are really really huge amount of energy around us.

if refrigerators didn't require power to work that support your argument, they reduce entropy inside of them, at the cost of a greater number of atoms in the sun(which is where all of our energy came from) becoming more disorganized, you should read the last question, by Issac Asimov it talks about the eventual equalizing of the universe(yes, he does have entropy reversed in the end of it but at that point you have to remember it is a fictional story)

Here is another law of thermodynamics, energy cannot be created or destroyed, merely transformed from one state to another,
and here is another fact, you cannot convert a lower level of energy into a higher level of energy perfectly(ie 15J of electrical energy converted to heat, cannot be converted back to 15J of electrical energy you can theoretically get a 70% return.

you can argue against me(and all modern science on energy) all you want, the fact is eventually everything will have the same energy level(mind you this is so far into the future as far as humans are concerned it is infinitely far away)
and if you want a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropylink(mind you wikipedia isn't a place i recommend you go for facts but on this issue it is fairly accurate)

also, I quoted the law wrong, i was quoting the 2nd law of thermodynamics not the first

Level 16
you can argue against me all you want, the fact is eventually everything will have the same energy levelt

Its not argue its a discussion.

Also, I was talking about the mass of water that where in the mold in the fridge, you surely know of a control volume and control mass systems.

If you will talk about the energy used in the fridge's compressor then you are studying another system which is a closed system btw (unless your fridge is leaking the refrigerant)

Level 7
you plug in a refrigerator to a power source, do you not? next question do you know how much power a refrigerator uses to stay cool?

...mass of water that where in the mold in the fridge,...
please revise it into something i can read? like replacing the where with an is

If you will talk about the energy used in the fridge's compressor then you are studying another system which is a closed system btw (unless your fridge is leaking the refrigerant)
they are not a closed system, first of all we have no perfect insulators (the only way to make a closed system is to prevent the transfer of energy)
secondly the way they remove energy from inside of them is by compressing the coolant( as you stated) how is the compressor powered exactly?(again another example of the transfer of energy involving that system)

Level 16
they are not a closed system, first of all we have no perfect insulators (the only way to make a closed system is to prevent the transfer of energy)

Ofc, I know there is no perfect insulation or even perfect thing, fridges has COP. But when I say no mass lose I mean not intended because you can't reach a perfect level. In other word ignore small leakages and insulation.

As for the compressor energy source, yes I plug it in the electric source but lets make an analysis of how the energy input is converted into output.

I will wait for your reply.

Level 7
it runs an electric motor which runs the compressor, it pumps the coolant through coils inside of the refrigerator and then the coolant evaporates due to the heat of the refrigerator. It is then pulled through the compressor and pushed through smaller coils on the back of the refrigerator it then turns to a liquid from the pressure and gives up its excess heat to the air on the outside of the refrigerator and the process is then repeated.

now while this looks like the net entropy is remaining contest. it actually isn't because the energy required to do this is changed from electrical energy(a high stage of energy) to waste heat and according to the one of the laws of thermodynamics, energy cannot move to higher stage of energy with perfect efficiency(ie no matter what you do you will always have excess heat that cannot be converted to say electricity) thus entropy increases.

Status
Not open for further replies.