1. The contestants were to create water structures for the 20th Terraining Contest. Choose one in the public poll!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Join other hivers in a friendly concept-art contest. The contestants have to create a genie coming out of its container. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Melee Mapping Contest #4: 2v2 - Results are out! Step by to congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. We're hosting the 15th Mini-Mapping Contest with YouTuber Abelhawk! The contestants are to create a custom map that uses the hidden content within Warcraft 3 or is inspired by any of the many secrets within the game.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Encrypting your data?

Discussion in 'StarCraft I & II' started by Statharas, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Statharas

Statharas

Resources:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    How would you encrypt your data/banks?

I would use a combination of algorithms, data cleanup system, and unique uses hashes to use in algs.

2. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    If Blizzard made banks readable in a zip or rar you could use password protected banks. Really nothing breaks into rar archives unless someone's crazy enough to do brute force 10 days.

3. tagg1080

tagg1080

Resources:
    Resources:
    In all honestly I doubt people would go through that much trouble to get your stuff, so very simple things like what banks do with prime numbers would work fine.

Don't get too crazy.

4. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Or just open the map, read the password and bam, <1 minute and you can access the bank.

I would spend more effort designing my map making cheating a non issue. For example I would allow pretty linear progression meaning that you will always feel like you are progressing when playing and with harder difficulties offering noncrutial bonuses (like a message or text only ego thing) so people do not feel they need it.

Actual protection wise I would just use a hash algerthim to prevent your average joe from opening the XML file and getting what he wants.

Basically, prevents casual modification of the banks yet people who are seriously out to hack are a non issue.

5. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It wouldn't make sense to be protected if banks could be read as a rar password protected archive, so yeah i dont make sense, ignore my idea. :p

6. BoneBreaker

BoneBreaker

Resources:
    Resources:
    Encryption is useless, simply because the galaxy script can be copied from your map and therefore working codes can be generated easily.

I mean, it stops the average person from cheating, but it cannot stop someone with above average knowledge.

7. Statharas

Statharas

Resources:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    So, in fact, we need to clean up the gui. Wipe it.

Does anyone know if #define exists in galaxy?
    If so, we might be able to delay the hacks, and change their protection every 10 days or so.
    Like, change the language using #define to cpp or c. Of course, someone with knowledge of all languages could pull off something.

What about a protectron? Quick translator, that instantly changes the language of the script. Could also implement new languages as well!

Heh, i'd love it if someone could make a translator that translated into MINDFUCK :D

8. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Or you could just design a better map... That fixes many problems at once.

9. mrzwach

mrzwach

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You can't change the algorithm used to generate the codes once you have put it in use. If you did, it would either A: invalidate everyone's codes from before you changed it, or B: let the people who already hacked their codes retain said hacked codes.

Personally I would say that high levels of encryption are pretty much unnecessary. As long as you don't have things like "RANK" with a numerical integer between 1 and 10 stored there, chances are people aren't going to go through the trouble, or, if they were, they would just open the map and generate their own code.

Don't make any godlike unlockables, and people will be less motivated to hack it. Aside from that, if someone wants to hack it, they will be able to, so might as well spend more time working on the map than the encryption.

10. Mooglefrooglian

Mooglefrooglian

Resources:
    Resources:
    Go bug geX to add that to Andromeda. I want it! :(

11. Statharas

Statharas

Resources:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Still, i'd love it if we could have a way to encrypt our data using a mindfuck translator (using #define)

12. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Which would be entirly pointless as everyone will already own the software to decrypt it and eventually tools would be made. People just need to grow up and not deface other's maps as well as make better maps.

13. mrzwach

mrzwach

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Err, it would have to interface with the basic galaxy code, so that the game could run it. They could just pull out the functions you use and simply add in some commands to arbitrarily alter their score and save the bank to generate their own code.

Also when you compiled the map, it would be turned into basic galaxy code anyways. Thus how Andromeda works.

14. JackRCDF

JackRCDF

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    This here looks quite interesting, haven't had a chance to try it myself though.

15. M0RT

M0RT

Resources:
    Maps:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yeah, except everyone can download the algorithm and generate hashes easily for any map that uses it. That's sure going to be safer than anything you make just for your map.

16. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The more you protect, the more wanted to be hacked. Blizzard did a greast job making available so many models and such. E.g in the ebginning their answer was 'no we're not gonna let you have the Raynor model from the storyline' but now you can use it.

Oh noes, they will steal your bank data... come on, golden map? Only if it becomes as popular as Dota it may get deprotected.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  17. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    People will only hack banks if you make it worth the while. If your map needs 2000 hours of playing to get the best stuff, welcome to hacking town... If your map allows people to obtain the best stuff via casual play then there is no need.

18. Eccho

Eccho

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Blizzard has stated that they will be implementing bank encryption (for those who want that for their maps) in later patches. It wont be an issue really, as I am sure the encryption they are making will be pretty good. They have also said that they are working on the map protection itself as they do still plan to have a marketplace on battle.net.

19. mrzwach

mrzwach

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Bank data will also get saved on Blizz servers, so that's nice.

20. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Not really, it will render a lot of maps completly unplayable due to foolish map makers thinking we play 24/7 or something.