• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Encrypting your data?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
If Blizzard made banks readable in a zip or rar you could use password protected banks. Really nothing breaks into rar archives unless someone's crazy enough to do brute force 10 days

Or just open the map, read the password and bam, <1 minute and you can access the bank.

I would spend more effort designing my map making cheating a non issue. For example I would allow pretty linear progression meaning that you will always feel like you are progressing when playing and with harder difficulties offering noncrutial bonuses (like a message or text only ego thing) so people do not feel they need it.

Actual protection wise I would just use a hash algerthim to prevent your average joe from opening the XML file and getting what he wants.

Basically, prevents casual modification of the banks yet people who are seriously out to hack are a non issue.

Level 10
Encryption is useless, simply because the galaxy script can be copied from your map and therefore working codes can be generated easily.

I mean, it stops the average person from cheating, but it cannot stop someone with above average knowledge.

So, in fact, we need to clean up the gui. Wipe it.

Does anyone know if #define exists in galaxy?
If so, we might be able to delay the hacks, and change their protection every 10 days or so.
Like, change the language using #define to cpp or c. Of course, someone with knowledge of all languages could pull off something.

What about a protectron? Quick translator, that instantly changes the language of the script. Could also implement new languages as well!

Heh, i'd love it if someone could make a translator that translated into MINDFUCK :D

Level 11
You can't change the algorithm used to generate the codes once you have put it in use. If you did, it would either A: invalidate everyone's codes from before you changed it, or B: let the people who already hacked their codes retain said hacked codes.

Personally I would say that high levels of encryption are pretty much unnecessary. As long as you don't have things like "RANK" with a numerical integer between 1 and 10 stored there, chances are people aren't going to go through the trouble, or, if they were, they would just open the map and generate their own code.

Don't make any godlike unlockables, and people will be less motivated to hack it. Aside from that, if someone wants to hack it, they will be able to, so might as well spend more time working on the map than the encryption.

Level 11
Still, i'd love it if we could have a way to encrypt our data using a mindfuck translator (using #define)
Err, it would have to interface with the basic galaxy code, so that the game could run it. They could just pull out the functions you use and simply add in some commands to arbitrarily alter their score and save the bank to generate their own code.

Also when you compiled the map, it would be turned into basic galaxy code anyways. Thus how Andromeda works.

Level 22
The more you protect, the more wanted to be hacked. Blizzard did a greast job making available so many models and such. E.g in the ebginning their answer was 'no we're not gonna let you have the Raynor model from the storyline' but now you can use it.

Oh noes, they will steal your bank data... come on, golden map? Only if it becomes as popular as Dota it may get deprotected.

Last edited:
Level 23
Blizzard has stated that they will be implementing bank encryption (for those who want that for their maps) in later patches. It wont be an issue really, as I am sure the encryption they are making will be pretty good. They have also said that they are working on the map protection itself as they do still plan to have a marketplace on battle.net.

Level 13
DSG, some situations require the use of banks for a legitimate purpose that would be jeopardized by their being hacked. A quick example is global high score lists, though many gameplay reasons also exist which I'm sure you could think of. I agree that a map should never have a situation where a player with a lot of hours clocked in gets an artificial boost in power, but other situations exist where the particular accumulation of stuff, settings, and such are used for a sense of progression and unity rather than grinding.

Level 13
Naturally. However, as someone who knows hack-exploiters, people hack these data tables to troll the game, so it won't necessarily be an insane value but just one that's broken, offensive, or game-breaking in some limited fashion.

That being said, the only way to really avoid such things is to be able to use galaxy to grab a hash check of the map file itself, or to simply store the banks on the blizzard servers instead of locally.

Status
Not open for further replies.