• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

elevators?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
can anyone explain to me how elevators work exactly? i found out that you can set them higher and lower with the action [set elevator height] , and that u need invisible platforms to let units walk on them but still my units cant get up....

i tryed to place those invisible platforms further away and closer to the elevator.. but if you place them further they cant get on the elevator as usual and too close makes invisible platforms "walkthrough walls" so they walk staright to wall on elevator and up the next high wall next to it.
i also tryed to open elevator walls or something on all sides but the thing doesnt let me get units on them

if anyone could help me out? i would gladly upload my little map (32x32) and give a link to it if someone can make this elevator work properly.

p.s. if you can tell me how to extract TFT missions out of the game so you can view them... that would be okay too cuz then i can see how blizzard people did that thing with the elevators in mission 7a,7b en 7c in the undead campaign.

Level 3
k i am sending you the file dark shadow

( and now testing with the mpq viewer, which i already tryed but only thing i could extract from it where the multiplayer maps)

i got the campaign maps out of the mpq and learned alot from it.

hear is how my elevators work now:

-place elevator (duh)

-place "elevator walls" ( under elevator doodads ) on the sides you want to walk over later

- (optional) if you using it to transport units to a higher plateau then make use of invisible platforms

- triggers: event:[anything]
condition:[anything]
actions[open/close - east/west/
north/south - side of elevator]
[set height elevator 1/2/3]

pretty easy actually. should i write a better tutorial about it? cuz i couldnt find any tutorial about this and admit it: elevators are just cool.

Level 3
i know but havent got a lot of them ( only scaryforest2 which only has 1 elevator )

offtopic: i now want to get a special effect on a unit (actually it is a ward from ability,
but then a little bit enhanced) but for some wacky reason it wont work can anyone say why?

follow this link to get me map (32x32):

http://home.deds.nl/~zontar/treasurehunters!.w3x

its the TNE explosion that wont give a nice mortar impact effect. (TNE explosion can be found on MK)

Level 13
Ah, I see the problem. Won't be difficult.
Simple mistake: Can't create a special-effect on a dead unit :wink:

Here the working trigger

extra effect
Events
Unit - A unit Dies
Conditions
(Unit-type of (Dying unit)) Equal to TNE (Stufe 1)
Actions
Special Effect - Create a special effect at (Position of (Dying unit)) using Abilities\Weapons\SteamTank\SteamTankImpact.mdl

btw, if a trigger isn't working, first add a game - text message action (e.g. "working"), so you can be sure that it's not the event's/condition's fault

Level 3
thx darkshadow it worked

offtopic: is it okay if i keep asking questions about my map in this topic? probably n00b questions and i dont want to spam the whole forum with topics :wink:

Level 3
k little question i got one of my traps working now but it does way too much damage if someone walks through it when it is activated. instead of drawing 10% life of the unit it instantly kills the unit. any tips how to make it so that it draws life of that unit that it will die in 4-5 seconds?

triggers used:

trigger1: turn on/off
event: every 6 seconds of game time.
conditions:none
actions:
trigger- run damage<gen>(checking conditions)

wait 3.00 seconds

animation play the death animation for all doodads of type Trap Side Frost within region006<gen>

trigger- turn off damage<gen>

wait 3.00 seconds

trigger2: damage
events:none
conditions:none
actions:

animation- play the stand second animation for all doodads of type Trap Side Frost within region006<gen>

unit group - pick every unit in( units in region006<gen>)and do (unit - set life of picked unit to (Min((percentage life of Picked unit)), -10.0%)

Status
Not open for further replies.