• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Elemental Chaos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I've put a lot of thought into this RPG, and I'll probably take my time updating this thread with more details.

Basic Overview.

Save/load RPG with races, elemental classes and eight way Aeon of Strife.

Classes
Everyone starts off choosing one of the eight elements. I haven't decided if there should be sub classes, ie fighter ranger and mage.
Every fifty or seventy five levels players gain a lumber which can be used to buy another element or specialty spell. For example, if someone buys only fire element, his progression might look like Fire-> Fire 2 -> Magma -> Magma 2 -> Hell Fire -> Hell fire 2
Water + Wind -> Mist/Illusion.

Spells
Spells work on an upgrade system. One of the features of my map is the choice for you to upgrade the same spell as much as you want, Even if that means you only learn one spell for the entire game. It wont be an exponential, like every spell level might increase the damage by 2. That means spells will start off quite weak.
Some spells will only be available if you have another spell to a certain level. Like a necromancer's spell would be skeleton quality. If they reaches spell level 50 of that, the necromancer could buy the spell giant skeleton, to summon a . . . *drum roll* giant skeleton.
A certain level of water spells might be a requisite for a spell in the Mist class or another may require a certain level wind spell, thus ensuring that even within each class, different people can have variety.
As you can imagine, basic spells probably wont cut it in the long run, so most beginner spells will have a utility property. Most wind spells will start fairly crappy push and daze spells, but will get pretty powerful debuffs, so it would be up to you how you want to tech. Whether you want to get a certain line of spells, or just focus on spells from the newest class upgrade. Both will be well rewarded.

Races
Brownies
Small race that gains exp at 10x normal rate, but can only reach max level 100. There will still be oppurtunities for them to gain a few stats or spell levels from quests, but really not a long lived race.

Humans
Basic race, gains xp at 1x exp rate, but can reach max level 250. Same story

I haven't decided if there should be Elves and High elves, or just high elves.
High Elves
Max level 1000, XP gain 1/10 or 1/5.
Elves
Max level 500, gain 1/2

Areas and Cities.
There will be 8 unique cities for each element, including a light and darkness side. Each element is only at war with it's polar opposite to start with. Each city progresses as time passes becoming stronger.

There are additional areas where there will be quests and mobs. The levels of quests and mobs will change depending on the levels of characters, max, minimum, mean medium levels so there's a roughly an area for everyone. Each corner will have a final boss. This can be modded per level, but I'm thinking just having a set level. Maybe include some super elite final bosses after them.

Balancing w/cities.
Doing quests to give more money to your cities will make your cities develop faster, but another factor matters too.
If someone loads a high level hero or the opposite team has given is doing better than average, like having destroyed the first two tiers of towers (out of four, similar to dota, except only one lane from city to city), then the game will compensate a little to try to make up for some of the otherside's superiority by building faster.
This will be based on a point based system. If one side has an obscenely high score, this may include allying up with other cities against one.

I haven't figured the allying system. It could just be player based since it would be against the best interest of many people except the stronger side to destroy a city. That same city will probably go after another and another till all are destroyed. The players wont be kicked for having their city destroyed, but they'll lose access to a number of items, unless they've already done the quests to become favored with another city.

Crafting
Since I don't believe in a random equipment drop system, I figure most mobs will drop ingredients, and sometimes recipes. They won't be one time use, but the ingredients might take you across the map, sometimes grinding rarer items, or doing the favored quest to gain alliance with a city that has sells it. That way people will only make recipes for items they are high enough level to get without having to police it with some level minimum. If people form a group so some people can make better equipment faster, than more power to them.

Ok, that's all for now.
Edit: I wonder if it would be possible to do this with a multiplayer map.
With the custom models I had in mind, maybe not. It could be a campaign or it could be split into multiple maps. I dont think it would be as fun or as newbie friendly

Level 3
Elements:

Light vs Darkness
Fire vs Water
Earth vs Wind
Spirit vs Unnatural/otherworldly (think h.p. lovecraft)

Another feature I didn't mention was summons.
There will be two kinds of summons/pets.
Most of the necromancer's raises are static. Their life and dmg is subject to the quality skill, but otherwise it's static. One of the dynamic pets a necromancer would be an undead general. He could reach up to level 10, give auras, depending on you.
A semi-dynamic one would be demonist's basic pets would have damage and life that get stronger with int and level.
The final one would be ones a pacter can get. He has to do long quests do finally summon a demon. This demon is essentially another hero. They cannot last without main hero, but are otherwise another hero, with weapons and stuff. They probably would have a limited inventory.
Ok, that may not be only two types, but degrees of dynamicness.
I figured for saving purposes pets that level can be saved as an item.

Level 3
I was planning on having uniquely different units for each race.
As I've mentioned before, I figure each city will build different structures, some faster than others. Upon completion, they'll start producing units to send to their polar opposite. Fire's first units might be sparks while waters might be bubbles. It sounds a little pokemonish, but I dont really intend to do a lot of rock paper scissors in terms of types of dmg.

Fire's sparks would probably spawn in large numbers, be relatively weak, but have a small chance to multiply. The basic water elementals would be one of the fewer basic units that spawn, but would have more life and just a little splash.

Earth and wind basic units will be pretty similar. One will hit for slower but harder and the other will hit faster, but for less.

Spirit would probably have the most diverse techniques, including large splash, immolation, chain heal. Basic units will only have the first one, but you get the idea. Otherworld faction would have simply, massive amounts of life, devour corpses, on death explosive dmg.

Light will be pretty much as expected, healers, polymorph, auras, revive.Shadow will be typically undead, raise corpse, unholy auras, Doom to summon demons.

Level 11
Well with a AoS and save/load code, will make it hard to balance. That would probly be your main problem too deal with. I see how you try and compensate but i don't think it would be enough.

Level 3
I had thought of that, and I understand it would be difficult, but my way of compensating is multi fold

1. It would take some serious high levels to actually destroy a base.
Each set of towers gets much harder and while an individual lvl 250 might be able to first set of towers and slowly the second, it might take up to 450-500 to get to the base.

2. Meanwhile, while some 200 manages to destroy one of the tier 1 towers (I figure 2 side by side towers per tier), the balancing system detects that and helps speed up the production the second set of units to be produced, the ranged. That should make it harder once he gets to the tier 2 towers etc. It would already be faster if one side has a 200 character or higher while the other side has newbs or none.

3. Finally, It wouldn't be in the best interest of most people to destroy the other side. Yes, there would be great drops, but putting it off as long as possible would give the higher level character face off against mobs decent enough to grind against. Also, letting a base develop more might drop better equipment.

Level 16
hmmm i say high elves it gets boring playing with night elves there one of the main races main races are boring blood elves your homeland is dead boohoo it died for a good cause high elves i would like because night elves and blood elves are boring

Status
Not open for further replies.