• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Editing .mpq/New models/abilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Going by my quite shortened title, which I really wanted to be "Editing .mpq so that custom models and abilities are used in every map there is in Warcraft III's Map folder", I'm asking for help concerning just that.
I wish to change the model of a hero, or adding a completely new hero to a race, with new abilities that uses some custom models for attachment to hands and head. I realize this probably is very hard, and will take time to do, but I'm prepared to do this.
This is all just for private purposes, to see if I can get it to work.

I read this statement in a thread:
wd40bomber7 said:
Oh! Will then.

First off, the map is actually an mpq archive. The archive is openable by a variety of programs. Personally I use WinMpq.
To convert the war3map.w3u to a .slk file, download the widgitizer. This increases load time of your map by converting object files to .slk files. So run that on your map. (save a backup!) Then use the mpq editor to open the map. Find the unit .slk file you want, then import it into your main archive. Beware! Keep a backup of your main archive, or you may have to reinstall warcraft!

Now, is this valid for me too? The person asking about it asked about changing stuff in the Object Editor through .slk files. Is that something I must do too? Or is there another way?

Any and all help/insight is welcome.

I could really use some help here, and will appreciate any help I'm given.

/Groggy Golem.

Last edited:
Level 2
Does truly no one know how to do what I am asking? If you do not understand, then I refer to any 'Total Conversions' out there, like TToR, where all units have new names, models and abilities.
Does no one know how to do something like that, with a new/modified .mpq? Or does everyone ignore my question?
I want to know. I need help with this, for I have found nothing while searching for answers.

Best regards,
Groggy Golem.

Status
Not open for further replies.