• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Edit war3map.w3i directly + lobby game information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hi, modding beginner here, so please excuse my greenness.

Is there a way to edit the gameinformation outside of the world editor and edit the war3map.w3i directly?
( or am i looking at the wrong file?)
I extracted the file from the MPQ archive but when i open it in Notepad++ all it gives me is a very crude that makes like 50% sense.

problem is: Ever since the patch hit, whenever i open the map in world editor it crashes and even without loading my map my warcraft 3 installation becomes unplayable (shows a couple memory errors when i try to launch). The map still can be played though. So until Blizzard fixes the issue i am editing the war3map.j file directly and putting it back in.

I just want to change the fields: Suggested Players & and add a meaningful game description to my map.
i can see my entrys in notepad++ but i can't edit them or it just shows nonsense in lobby

Unrelated to my problem but i am very curious to know about the "in Lobby display":
Is it known whether it is possible to manipulate the Map Size and Tileset fields to display some useful information? ( wouldn't it work if you make a copy of a tileset and rename it to a tutorial information?)

Has someone ever found a way to enter text in that big empty space below the tileset field?

I kinda hate how there is no way to give players information about the game while they are waiting in the lobby. I feel i would get alot less leavers if people would be able to guess what the map is about.

With the new Frame natives one could change the displayed text for some Frames in the game Lobby like one plays music inside the Lobby. One would have to use BlzGetFrameByName for the wanted Frame and set/add the wanted text. Although using BlzGetFrameByName inside that function config leads to a game crash after the user closes the scorescreen (after he finished playing the map).

JASS:
BlzFrameSetText(BlzGetFrameByName("SuggestedPlayersLabel", 0), "1 Super Long Text, Super Long Text 2, Super Long Text 3.")

Last edited:
10.JPG

Well I did this in the war3map.j and the music doesnt display

But as said earlier when touching the Lobby Frames inside function config, the game will crash after scorescreen. This Lobby manipulation might also be disabled or become a builtin feature in a later Version of Warcraft 3, cause in its current form it could be used to "troll". Like seen in the Image the text overlays the Buttons and taking the mouse clicks, I disabled the text in the map so it does not take the mouseclicks but it would on Default.
Modified Lobby.jpg

Attachments

• Test Lobby Frame.w3x
    16.7 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Level 1
WoW, that are some cool suggestions. i hope the crash get's patched so you can use this.

concerning the config: if you change the string inside setmapdescription( ) does it update the war3map.i automatically? Or if both have different information, which one is used for lobby?

Level 8
But as said earlier when touching the Lobby Frames inside function config, the game will crash after scorescreen. This Lobby manipulation might also be disabled or become a builtin feature in a later Version of Warcraft 3, cause in its current form it could be used to "troll". Like seen in the Image the text overlays the Buttons and taking the mouse clicks, I disabled the text in the map so it does not take the mouseclicks but it would on Default.
View attachment 333065

Is this possible? Can I edit the way I want with map detail in the lobby like the picture you showed?

Level 8
Opening that file with a text editor will indeed produce error when you save it again. Take a look at the w3i specs stijnherfst/HiveWE

I don't know how notepad interprets files but it may replace meaningful bytes that are unrecognisable as chars with spaces or some such. Open the file with a hex editor instead. I suggest HxD.

How do I open templates.toc to edit the information in lobby the way I want it to be? So. I can remove "Suggested Player," "Map Size", and "Tilset," to have more room for map detail, and also I want to write the name of my map on the frame above the Cancel button for other players that is not a host. That would be cool if I learned how to edit this templates.toc through World Editor and Import Manager. Honestly with you, I am not good at understanding English.

Level 8
Then, tell me... how did someone did this? Look at import manager through this map. I deleted it and the map detail is gone. It was that file in the import manager. I want to know how do I edit it to change the way I want it to be in lobby? Here the map file I got it from this forum.

upload_2019-12-17_16-26-51.png

Attachments

• Test Lobby Frame.w3x
    16.7 KB · Views: 48
Template.toc has nothing to do with the lobby frame changes, I added it when I wanted to create frames inside the lobby which I failed to do. And I forgot to remove it from the map again.

This changes were done by extracting the map script war3map.j changing the content of function config. After one added some lines to config one replaces war3map.j of that map with the altered scriptfile, that requires a mpq editor.

Level 8
I have mpq editor. I used it for editing models for my map. So. That was war3map.j? In my WC3's files? But, how does it work? How can it be connected to other players if other players already have their own war3map.j? I dont understand. How do I edit it for my map only? Through import manager? If I edited war3mapj, and I want it to be work in lobby of the picked map, I have to add templates.toc to the picked map? Because when I removed templates.toc from your map, and retest the lobby, the custom detail gone and lobby is back to normal. I thought that was the templates.toc changed the lobby. Where do you find war3mapj at?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.