• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dwarven Miner (variative)

About:

• The model contains parts and some mesh of a Peasant, Rifleman, Mortar Team, Militia, Tinker, Peon and Marine.
  • The structure of the model, including attachment points, collision spheres and so on, is optimized to its size.
  • The model inherited mostly all Peasant's animations.

Added:

• A Peon's Death sound that better matches the model's appearance.
  • A Peon's Death, Decay Flesh and Decay Bones animation.
  • A custom portrait and game-style icon.
Author's notes:

I aimed to make this model as much lore-friendly as possible and to increase the population of Dwarves in Warcraft 3, yay!
I recommend using the Archmage unit sound set to support the character of the model.
Please, give credits when using the model.

UPDATED:
  • Deleted the Stand-3 animation (the pickaxe was dissapearing).
  • The models' version is now mdx 800.
  • Added an in-game screenshot of the model.
Keywords:
Dwarf, Dwarven, Miner, Worker, Builder, Digger, Peasant
Previews
Contents

DwarfMiner.mdx (Model)

DwarfMinerNoHelmet.mdx (Model)

DwarfMinerNoHelmet_Portrait.mdx (Model)

DwarfMiner_Portrait.mdx (Model)

BTNDwarfMiner (Icon)

Reviews
General Frank
A very fine and neatly done model edit with good use of in-game meshes and textures. Good job.
This is a neat model edit, but as of right now it has too many warning in sanity checker.
Please try to fix most of them. Sanity Test
Sempai, I reduced the warnings count from 98 to 0. Figured out what were that 'track' things and got rid of them successfully:
DwarfMiner_SanityTest.png
Thanks for pointing this out!

Sempai, I reduced the warnings count from 98 to 0. Figured out what were that 'track' things and got rid of them successfully:
Thanks for pointing this out for me!
Never call me Sempai again. I find it gross.
Good green errors are not too bad, but if you remove them it might save disk space.

The model has been updated.
Good green errors are not too bad, but if you remove them it might save disk space.
Didn't know that vanilla models have such problems as well, like Peon or Rifleman have tonns of errors.
123.png
Considering that they are stable, is there any reason, despite of saving a couple of bits, to painstakingly examine each green track of 64 in detail, even if I knew how to do it?

No, you don't have to fix all of them.
I assume you export the models with RMS? You might want to convert them to the 800 version.
What you have is a 1000 mdx version. That might show more errors because of that.
Yes, I was using RMS.
Thank you, I will try to convert.

EDIT: the conversion has resulted into 6 more warnings, unfortunately.

Last edited:
No, you don't have to fix all of them.
I have significantly reduced the number of unused tracks in each model, leaving only a few that make the model lie motionless after death.

I left the second portrait with the hard helmet with negative extents because it is a clean copy of the initial portrait that does not have negative extents in the same geoset (somehow), besides, as GhostWolf said here, this case does not affect WE.

Fixed the Stand-3 animation by deleting it. 🥲

Retested all the animations, checked the models in game, re-uploaded the files.

Last edited:
I have significantly reduced the number of unused tracks in each model, leaving only a few that make the model lie motionless after death.

I left the second portrait with the hard helmet with negative extents because it is a clean copy of the initial portrait that does not have negative extents in the same geoset (somehow), besides, as GhostWolf said here, this case does not affect WE.

Fixed the Stand-3 animation by deleting it. 🥲

Retested all the animations, checked the models in game, re-uploaded the files.
I would have preferred that you'd fix the animation instead of deleting it, but I guess in the future you'd probably will be able to do that too.
Errors in portraits are not too drastic as long as it does not reduce oeverall quality and function and bloats the space of the model.

I would have preferred that you'd fix the animation instead of deleting it, but I guess in the future you'd probably will be able to do that too.
Errors in portraits are not too drastic as long as it does not reduce oeverall quality and function and bloats the space of the model.
Yeah, sometime later I figured out how to fix it, but was too late 😅 I believe, it's about momentarily changing the size of the pickaxe, or am I wrong? 🤔
Anyways, the model still has enough Stand animations, so I thought that deleting it would be ok.

Yeah, sometime later I figured out how to fix it, but was too late 😅 I believe, it's about momentarily changing the size of the pickaxe, or am I wrong? 🤔
Anyways, the model still has enough Stand animations, so I thought that deleting it would be ok.
It has less than the regular peasant model, but the artistic choice is yours.
It has to do with geoset animations by the way.

Fact is, this doesn't look like a dwarf but more as a Norseman. The legs and hands should be smaller as the other dwarf units have them. Right now, it's a peasant with a dwarven head.
I politely disagree. Dwarfs have quite big work-weary hands like on this picture from WOW and this art. They are also quite stocky compared to the rest Warcraft 3 models. If you use your Scaling Value correctly (just to make their heads look the same size) you will see the point:
123.png

The model has shorter and wider legs and chest by default, as well as the neck, even if you do not scale it down.
Btw, it has the copy of Rifleman's legs, not the Peasant's.

Last edited:
I politely disagree. Dwarfs have quite big work-weary hands like on this picture from WOW and this art. They are also quite stocky compared to the rest Warcraft 3 models. If you use your Scaling Value correctly (just to make their heads look the same size) you will see the point:
View attachment 385124
The model has shorter and wider legs and chest by default even if you do not scale it down.
You are totally right on that.
Although it would not be bad to make your model look even more unique. Right now it looks a bit too similar to the rifleman on the legs.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
I politely disagree. Dwarfs have quite big work-weary hands like on this picture from WOW and this art. They are also quite stocky compared to the rest Warcraft 3 models.
I wasn't referring to the limb and body width/thickness but to the fact that dwarves have shorter limbs as you can see in the WoW screenshot you linked.
But I guess it doesn't really matter since the game doesn't have consistent proportions, not only between races but also among the same race:
anima.png

I wasn't referring to the limb and body width/thickness but to the fact that dwarves have shorter limbs as you can see in the WoW screenshot you linked.
But I guess it doesn't really matter since the game doesn't have consistent proportions, not only between races but also among the same race:
Yes, they don't have consistent proportions, that's why when you make it custom it looks ok. However, I've changed the proportions and you can make your model even smaller at any time.
You are totally right on that.
Although it would not be bad to make your model look even more unique. Right now it looks a bit too similar to the rifleman on the legs.
Well, it's a matter of taste of course, but there I intended to make almost a vanilla unit to get a feeling like the model was always there in the game, just like I noticed in the description.
Thus, I wanted it to have WC3 Dwarven details to make it a part of their 'army' like they have almost the same uniform and I was trying to use only regular and 'signature' parts of the game like another variation of light armor. At start, I wasn't even sure about the hard helmet ⛑️ For me this detail makes it quite original as no workers have team-colored heads plus they don't have a flashlight 😄
If you say it doesn't look unique enough but fits nicely then my goal is achieved 😊

Well, it's a matter of taste of course, but there I intended to make almost a vanilla unit to get a feeling like the model was always there in the game, just like I noticed in the description.
Thus, I wanted it to have WC3 Dwarven details to make it a part of their 'army' like they have almost the same uniform and I was trying to use only regular and 'signature' parts of the game like another variation of light armor. At start, I wasn't even sure about the hard helmet ⛑️ For me this detail makes it quite original as no workers have team-colored heads plus they don't have a flashlight 😄
If you say it doesn't look unique enough but fits nicely then my goal is achieved 😊
That's fair, but you cannot that expect it to be put in simple/useful category.

That's fair, but you cannot that expect it to be put in simple/useful category.
It's ok 🙂
That's why I asked your permission to change your Dwarven Axethrower model because for me it was a perfect example of a lore-friendly model 😊 But if you let me I wouldn't learn so much for sure 😅
However, I also changed the mimics and the face sculpture to make it more vanilla but enough to distinguish to have a custom icon.
Meanwhile your axethrower doesn't have an original face 😋
Dwarf.png

Last edited:
It's ok 🙂
That's why I asked your permission to change your Dwarven Axethrower model because for me it was a perfect example of a lore-friendly model 😊 But if you let me I wouldn't learn so much for sure 😅
I didn't let you edit it and upload it because I don't know you. I aslo think doing the hard work yourself is better in the long run.

I aslo think doing the hard work yourself is better in the long run.
True.
As a solo mapmaker I couldn't hope for custom models by requests for an unknown person like me (I've been around here for like 8 years but till now I even haven't had an acccount). I lacked some units to build up my map as it is based on different races: the units should look and perform like they were born from one tribe and they go to the same stylist, this is very important. This also applies to icons.
So, I'm here not to become a rated modeller or something but just to share some material with the community for their projects just in case, because I can. An example for me is Jacouille who made Island Troll Tribes, his map is open and models, no matter how they look, help people with content.

True.
As a solo mapmaker I couldn't hope for custom models by requests for an unknown person like me (I've been around here for like 8 years but till now I even haven't had an acccount). I lacked some units to build up my map as it is based on different races: the units should look and perform like they were born from one tribe and they go to the same stylist, this is very important.
So, I'm here not to become a rated modeller or something but just to share some material with the community for their project just in case, because I can. An example for me is Jacouille who created Island Troll Tribes, his map is open and models, no matter what they look like, help people with the content.
That is a very honourable aim and I fully support that. :)

That is a very honourable aim and I fully support that. :)
Thank you!
You are also a great example of an experienced mentor for me when it comes to modeling that's why I called you semp * caugh * 😄
Now I know how useful basic modelling skills are, in addition, it turned out to be quite entertaining. I used to think I would never try it.

Attachments

• DwarfMiner.mdl
    407.3 KB · Views: 39
  • DwarfMiner_Portrait.mdl
    93.4 KB · Views: 44