• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dwarven Death Knight

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I decided to take up skinning again. I started this a while ago, but I finally found the time to work more on it. I've edited the head so far.

xdbl2h.png

30tlwue.png

Level 38
That hammer looks a little to light, from looking at death knights and doing a skin of one myself I believe there main color is black, and a nearly white hammer does not really say death knight to me :/

The hammer could stand to be much darker and use more runes, three would probably be OK. Adding skulls on the ends of the hammer might work out all right as well >:D

The face seems a little to light though, in particular the nose seems to light, giving it a shiny appearance. If you make it more of a medium gray it would still give that death-like feeling, as well as offer a good deal of contrast between the beard and face. Yes, I know in WoW most of the death knights have paler skin, but the tone you have seems more like porcelain than pale, and a zombie gray would look much better :)

Other than that I really like the skin, looks like a high-kwaliti job to me XD

That hammer looks a little to light, from looking at death knights and doing a skin of one myself I believe there main color is black, and a nearly white hammer does not really say death knight to me :/

The hammer could stand to be much darker and use more runes, three would probably be OK. Adding skulls on the ends of the hammer might work out all right as well >:D

The face seems a little to light though, in particular the nose seems to light, giving it a shiny appearance. If you make it more of a medium gray it would still give that death-like feeling, as well as offer a good deal of contrast between the beard and face. Yes, I know in WoW most of the death knights have paler skin, but the tone you have seems more like porcelain than pale, and a zombie gray would look much better :)

Other than that I really like the skin, looks like a high-kwaliti job to me XD

Thanks for the wall-review, and congrats on the promotion. :)

As for the central part of the hammer, I'm trying to make it look like a carved stone or something like that, within an ornate frame, if you know what I mean. Something like this

fogfgk.jpg

I still have to add the third rune, and this is not the final hammer design.

As for the face, I'll see what I can do ;)

EDIT: So, I tried making a basalt or ebony type of rock now. What do you think?

2ekj715.png

Level 49
I think make the borders\frame a tad darker and Gothic, maybe icy since Death Knight are in fact icy guys. Anyhow, the runes color scheme is killing me, and the runes themselves look like plastic. I suggest making it this way: Bottom most rune to be dark red, middle rune to be teal and upper rune is fine as it is. The hammer itself looks pretty bad, I don't really know why. Though if you'll fix what I mentioned, I'm sure it'll look much better. No offense was meant in the post, I'm just trying to help :O

I think make the borders\frame a tad darker and Gothic, maybe icy since Death Knight are in fact icy guys. Anyhow, the runes color scheme is killing me, and the runes themselves look like plastic. I suggest making it this way: Bottom most rune to be dark red, middle rune to be teal and upper rune is fine as it is. The hammer itself looks pretty bad, I don't really know why. Though if you'll fix what I mentioned, I'm sure it'll look much better. No offense was meant in the post, I'm just trying to help :O

I already said that this isn't the final design, but nobody reads posts completely these days. I darkened the runes before you posted, since the rock looked like black custard with plastic molds in it. Thanks for the input though ;)

Level 38

Anyways, it seems like awkward plastic components are just what usually comes out by default from just about everyone (including me), if you want it to look like stone I would recommend looking at stone to get the texture/coloration/shading right :)
Are you going for a blood/frost/unholy theme with the runes? Maybe make the orange rune redder, and the blue rune more of an icy blue color. For the boarder maybe you could even go with a sort of bone-theme like the ziggurats have, though I'm not sure if there are enough pixels to work with to do anything more intricate than the boarder you already have.

Oh hay, one thing I just thought of: I don't think I have seen any skin really do anything with a beard, check out some of the beard designs I found on the dwarfs and vry-something barbarians from WoW :D
Beards.jpg

Epic beards ftw!

Status
Not open for further replies.