• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dummy SFX Wings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Hello there, i'm currently on a rpg project and i'v done some research before posting my thread here. i'd like if you have the knowledge of it, to assign a SFX wings model to a Dummy unit which will follow a Triggering unit in the game, even if he dies, even if he teleport etc... & disappear if the hero is dead.

Thanks for your time

Level 22
Just create a dummy unit with wings model as its model file or wings model attached to it then order the dummy to follow the Hero and keep track of the distance between the dummy and the Hero. If they're too far to each other, then move the dummy instantly to the Hero's position. Kill or remove the dummy when the Hero is dead.

Level 6
i also have a question if i do a - every elasped time cause dummy unit to be moved to triggering unit position.
will it cause lag for a "fullhouse" lobby of 12 player to be launched at the same time

Level 22
What you probably mean is periodical timer. I think there is no problem as long as you don't check it way too often, like every 1 second is enough. The timer is basically used to move the dummy if the distance between it and the Hero becomes too far, otherwise it shouldn't do anything at all except checking the situation and probably re-ordering the dummy to right-click on the Hero.

Level 6
ok thanks
also can i attach a dummy unit to a SFX point like overhead etc? or left hand, or is there only the Follow event ?

Level 22
Do you mean you want to attach a special effect to a dummy unit? If yes, then it depends on the model file of the dummy unit. Not all model file can be attached specifically on its left hand, overhead, etc. Many people use Vexorian's Dummy for that.

What is Vexorian's Dummy? Well...
Vexorians dummy model is an empty model containing the Origin, Chest and Overhead attachment points. It is useful for casting dummy spells and special effects.

However, you can still attach special effects to any dummy unit as long as it still contains attachment points.

Level 6
yhea i know that already, i mean : attach a dummy unit -> to another Unit
to resize the SFX
like Sword model too small
create dummy with bigger scale set the model
then attach the dummy to the unit

Level 6
i want to resize a sword model to be bigger than the current size i'm attaching it to.

Status
Not open for further replies.