1. Head to the 33rd Modeling Contest Poll and drink to your heart's desire.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Choose your means of doom in the 17th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. A slave to two rhythms, the 22nd Terraining Contest is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The heavens smile on the old faithful. The 16th Techtree Contest has begun.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The die is cast - the 6th Melee Mapping Contest results have been announced. Onward to the Hive Cup!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The glory of the 20th Icon Contest is yours for the taking!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Dual-channel RAM, Reforged, SC2 and other RTS games.

Discussion in 'Computer Tech' started by Evilhog, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Evilhog

Evilhog

Resources:
    Resources:
    So, I've read on other forums that dual-channel RAM is pretty much standard these days and I'm missing much with my PC only having a single stick. It's also running at 1333 Mhz (DDR3), while my CPU and mobo support frequency up to 1600 Mhz, so I'm thinking about upgrading from 1x8GB to 2x8Gb.

I'm still confused with all the information I've read on the topic, and I can't convince myself to buy a rather expensive piece of hardware that will get my PC only slight (if any) performance boost in a few games I play.

Reforged already runs well enough on my current build (Core i7 3770 3,90 Ghz, 1 Tb HDD, 480 Gb SSD, GTX 970 4Gb), only getting FPS drops in some cutscenes. Should I stick to my old single-channel memory, then?

StarCraft 2, on the other hand, has never been a well-optimized game, and has been reported to run like crap on much newer and more powerful machines than mine. I'd go for it if upgrading RAM could at least stabilize this game's performance.

2. Amigoltu

Amigoltu

Resources:
    Resources:
    It's not as much "dual channel", as much the amount that matters. 8 gb RAM may be enough for now, but it's basically bare minimum. Typically, various games and other software these days fare better with at least 16 gb RAM.

Tho talking about the channels...

You can read about it here:
    Single Channel vs. Dual Channel vs. Quad Channel Memory
    Dual Ram vs Single Ram? - Quora

TL;DR:
    Dual (and quad) channel doesn't change the amount of memory, but may increase the speed of operation. For example - 2x sticks of 4gb vs 1x stick of 8 gb. The amount is the same, but in the two-stick config, the two sticks are accessed simultaneously, thus making the system faster.
    (At least, that's in theory)

Some benchmarks:

Though generally, it seems like a wiser choice to get two sticks instead of one.

IMPORTANT:
    To utilize dual-channel function, you must put the RAM sticks in appropriate places (usually spaced apart, like below):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, make sure the two RAM sticks have the same frequency. In fact, it's better if they are the same models.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020 at 7:38 PM