• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dreamscape - Surrealism - Titan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
TOPNOTE: Not associated with the Dreamscape Project!!!

I don't usually do surrealism, but this time I got obsessed with a funky use of doodads and queer camera angles. I made this surreal nightmare tonight instead of going to bed and probably having equally surreal nightmares, judging from what kind of mood and mindset this terrain suggests that I've dazed in.

Whoever Stands There.gif
All Ur Base R Belong 2 .gif Doomsday March of the Bluesky Devil.gif Gone With A Hell-Wind.gif
Monster Sideview.gif Mr Bluesky Portrait.gif Nightmarama.gif

I thought they turned out so well (meaning interesting) that I should share them. Hope you agree.
Pardon they are gifs

Last edited:
Level 7
This is certainly interesting.

Some of the angles don't do much justice and most parts are poorly terrained but the atmosphere simply makes this quite awesome^^

Level 19
The landscape reminds me of Courage the Cowardly dog.. If that was the right name?... You know him! The pink doggy with the bad teeth and exploding eyes whenever he's afraid of something:D
Ahh found him.
This one:
courage-the-cowardly-dog_20883_1.jpg

But that's what it reminds me of:D
Well done, has a nice atmosphere and pretty creepy

Level 10
haha that's true. Probably where I subconsciously got the inspiration. I really think flat landscapes have their own (anti-)charm somehow. I live in one of the world's flattest countries, btw. I love driving (I don't drive myself) in the flat country at night, having tall crops on both sides of the road, but yet just low enough that I can gaze over the great sea of crops. It's simple, and simple tends to speak clear messages. Make it dark, red, and foggy, and flat land will scream the dark unspeakable message.

Level 2
The purpose of surrealism is to explore a person's subconscious. While tile variation is great for realistic terrains, it may actually detract from the surrealism of the piece. For example, many of Salvador Dali's paintings are set in bleak, flat landscapes.

Level 10
Poor model choice, good idea. You should work a bit more with it, fill the gaps of empty landscape, and get a hold of better rock models, and not use the goldmine. But I like the concept very much.

I appreciate your opinion. Inside the box I might agree with you about the gold mines - that box inside which it must be an unmined mountain when mine openings appear in impossible places. But then, what is the rock giant? Rocks arranged in another impossible manner? It's a surreal world - outside the box. The use of the gold mines is a trick closely resembling metamorphosis in surrealism. Would you have said to Dali: "You should paint it more like rubber; those melting tires look like clocks."

Maybe I should free more empty landscape to make it more obvious that it's unaturally empty, flat, and monotonous. The mid-ground landscape isn't where things are happening in this scene, but in the foreground, the sky, and distant horizon - if you can call them all the same landscape. That main landscape is a single, simple object.

So unfortunately, it won't get any better through those means without destroying the concept.

Sorry for sounding like that XD

Level 36
I appreciate your opinion. Inside the box I might agree with you about the gold mines - that box inside which it must be an unmined mountain when mine openings appear in impossible places. But then, what is the rock giant? Rocks arranged in another impossible manner? It's a surreal world - outside the box. The use of the gold mines is a trick closely resembling metamorphosis in surrealism. Would you have said to Dali: "You should paint it more like rubber; those melting tires look like clocks."

Maybe I should free more empty landscape to make it more obvious that it's unaturally empty, flat, and monotonous. The mid-ground landscape isn't where things are happening in this scene, but in the foreground, the sky, and distant horizon - if you can call them all the same landscape. That main landscape is a single, simple object.

So unfortunately, it won't get any better through those means without destroying the concept.

Sorry for sounding like that XD

You widely did misinterperate me, and your example isnt very good. The thing is, I am telling Dali (which I am presuming is an artist) that his ink or color is bad and that he should get himself a new pencil or some new paint, not to change his concept, or how he is meant to do his work.

If that didn't make it clear: I am not saying that you should make something more real, or change it up. I am saying that the resources you are using has poor textures and in general look bad, which makes the entire terrain look bad, and in turn; any artist wants their work to look appealing, right? >.>

Level 19
Even though I really dislike that the giant looks somewhat squarish due to the models you used making it, I find it a very interesting terrain. By far the most original I've seen in a long time. The last picture is the best.

Level 10
You widely did misinterperate me, and your example isnt very good. The thing is, I am telling Dali (which I am presuming is an artist) that his ink or color is bad and that he should get himself a new pencil or some new paint, not to change his concept, or how he is meant to do his work.

Sorry. You're right about the textures, but I really think I should take feedback (and offshot ideas) with me, carry it on to the next, and leave this terrain. I just can't figure out anything more to do with it:. If I found a better different goldmine model I might replace it, but then I'd have to go through every instance of the doodad, correcting until everything has the same expression as now.
I'd rather go through reskinning the goldmine with a high resolution texture or something like that, but no point in spending that time on it, because I'm actually out of drive for the terrain. To answer the question:

If that didn't make it clear: I am not saying that you should make something more real, or change it up. I am saying that the resources you are using has poor textures and in general look bad, which makes the entire terrain look bad, and in turn; any artist wants their work to look appealing, right? >.>
...The problem is this is mostly second-hand stuff - but in the case where you're aimed from the beginning, right exactly. I won't use the goldmine like that again, but I think it would be cool to take this concept up again for a completely new terrain, so if I ever get that done, you could call this a sort of appetizer... well, we'll see, lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.