• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
real dragons would have large wings, able to warry their weight. And, though heavy, they would probably have hollow bones to help them get in the air and fly. (like giant birds :p) So really, the movies seem to have them with small wings that would not be able to carry them, though I have seem some movies where they were just about long enough to carry them. :/

Level 6
real dragons would have large wings, able to warry their weight. And, though heavy, they would probably have hollow bones to help them get in the air and fly. (like giant birds :p) So really, the movies seem to have them with small wings that would not be able to carry them, though I have seem some movies where they were just about long enough to carry them. :/

Dragons r 2 big for hollow bones 2 make much difference and even if their wings were as big as possible they could stay in the air for long at all

Dakadoon said:
Dragons r 2 big for hollow bones 2 make much difference and even if their wings were as big as possible they could stay in the air for long at all

then explain to me how something with full bones as a bat flies >:3 same principle aplies to dragons ^.=.^ + dragons have somewhat of a natural gas baloon in themselves. which solves the firebreath too x3

Level 5
Seeing is that dragons are mythical creatures, I dont see why their flight capabilties wouldn't be magically augmented. Dragons and magic do walk hand-in-hand.

Level 23
agreeing with Misha on this one. :p If a heavy creature is given wings, movies show them too small. A dragon would need massive wings (probably around 3 lengths of the dragon (wingspan), JUST to be able to get enough lift to get into the air. Plus, with the massive power of a dragon's muscles, the dragon would be able to get enough propulsion to keep a good speed, and, just like birds, would be able to use vents to stay in the air, allowing it to glide. (Though not for long periods of time.) Either way, dragons would be able to fly without magic. Sadly, the ones on TV would require magic due to their tiny wings :p

Level 10
what are you basing this off of? You make it sound like they are tiny creatures with five foot long wings. seriously, who said the tips were invisible? just cause it has fairy in it's name, doesn't mean it's magical. just like the komodo dragon isn't a dragon. just cause dragon's in the name, doesn't mean it can breath fire or fly either.

Level 23
........ butterflies can fly. lol but you are completly missing the meaning of Quantum Butterfly. :/ The joke is that the rest of the wings are invisible, thus allowing the dragon the wingspan required to fly. It just looks small, due to the rest being transparent. >_>

Ruined the fun by being so literal... >< forcing me to then explain it to you

Level 23
............................................... -.- he was making a comparison to the Quantum butterfly, which, in theory, can create a hurricane by the flap of it's wings. Logically, it'd be the build-up of power from each flap that would grow to the point of staring a hurricane. But, to get a more likely effect, the butterfly would need larger wings. And since thare are no butterflies that are seen with 5 foot wings, I made the joke of the extra 9 1/2 feet being perfectly invisible, but having the visible part appearing as normal wings. This the "slapped in face" part, and the visual effect that the butterfly is 5 feet away, though the invisible parts of the wings are hitting the person... I hope that explains it? >_>

Level 23
very true. Sacrid wins on that note :p But, what if the cells are simply transparent? >:3 That would allow for there to be a 10 foot wingspan and still make it seem that ones being slapped by a butterfly that is 5 feet away. (cause they can't see the rest of the wings slapping them -.-) :/

Level 10
well, you can see the movement. transparent wings are just like glass. You an see through them, but you can still tell where it is. but also, a butterfly with a 5 foot wingspan would have to be turned away just to hit you with it's wings, and also, it wouldn't be ale to rest in trees.

Level 10
actually, I brought up fairy dragons. You guys were talking about dragons needing magic to fly, and I proved it wrong with fariy dragons. then.... somehow it went to magical butterflies. I don't even know why. lol
DSG, it's hard to say. It mostly depends on what they understand and how they are built. It they are like the typical four legged dragons, then I don't see them using technology, but it they are more like velociraptors in form, then I can see them doing even more. (Jurrasic Park, velociraptor opened doors and even set traps for the hunter), and if they were humanoid, then they COULD be like us, but they would require a heat source to stay awake all day. Because lizards require the sun's warmth to wake up for the day. I can't see them getting far.

Level 23
sacrid is right. It would depend on the frame of their race. I don't see the logic in having large, 4 legged dragons, able to use their forward legs as arms as well, driving cars, when they can fly. So, I would tend to think that they would stay more towards nature, but at least have stone buildings and heating equipment (if able to create and put together small parts (bolts, screws, washers. lol))

Status
Not open for further replies.