• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dragonball Kai Solo RPG 1.04a

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
A role-playing game inspired by classic Starcraft Dragonball RPGs like 'Techno Terror' 'The Android Menace' or 'The Wizard's Curse', the Dragonball Kai Solo RPG is a single-player RPG that starts with the fight with Raditz and ends with the death of Frieza.

Made By Thrune, with help from Jordman and SSJ2-Trunks.
If you've found a bug, E-mail Kaisolorpg at Gmail dot com.

- Q&A -

Q: I don't understand how the EXP system works!
A: Instead of gaining EXP by killing enemies, the EXP reward is based on your actions in each stage. The gold you get as a reward can be used to purchase EXP for any character that participated in the fight at the Training Centers. Any EXP that isn't spent will be wasted, so watch out!

Q: Nothing's happening! I'm just stuck looking at characters I can't control / there's no enemies and I've spent my EXP!
A: Type 'Start' or 'Done'.

Q: What are these 'Passive Special Abilities?'
A: As a bonus for completing optional objectives, you can get, 'special ability points'. When you have 10 of those, you can activate the special ability of one character.

Q: It says that I get Goku, Piccolo, and Gohan, but I only control the first two!
A: What it says is:
Goku & Piccolo
Gohan
That means that you start out controlling Goku and Piccolo, but get Gohan if they're defeated. It's to mimic more accurately the way battles actually work on the show.

Q: I keep on being killed! Why are they so much stronger than I am?
A: The map is designed to be tough. If you're having trouble, use Flight to stay at a distance and throw long range Ki attacks at them.

Q: <X> from the show is missing from the game!
A: The map is more directly based on the original manga and the Dragonball Kai recut of the anime, than on the first anime. Most of what's been cut (such as Princess Snake) was nothing but filler.

Q: The game ends with Frieza? That sucks!
A: Sorry. It was an easy cutoff point, Frieza made a good final battle, and the Cell Saga would be much harder to trigger. If I have the time, I plan to add it later.

Q: There's no save game system!
A: Actually, there is. This map uses the built in Warcraft III save game system, as it doesn't need a custom one.

- Patch Notes -
1.0.1: Energy Barrage has been removed from nearly all characters that had it, and replaced with another ability. Telekenesis, Destruction Wave, and Masenko have all been modified and buffed. Saibamen have had their AI improved and movement speed increased, but to compensate have had their attack speed and health reduced. Enemy Masenko-style attacks have had their damage increased and travel speed decreased. Other minor changes have been made.
1.0.2: Saibamen bug fixed. Two observer slots have been added.
1.0.3: Vegeta's Final Flash has been replaced by Afterimage Combo. More minor bug fixes. A few abilities have been slightly modified.
1.0.3a: More minor bugs fixed. Vegeta's Afterimage Combo will now work. Summoned enemies will not heal in Korin's Tower. More damaging abilities are now usable against structures.
1.0.3b: Afterimage Combo now leaves an image behind.
1.0.4: Krillin's Kakusadan is no longer bugged. It is now possible to skip immediately to 2-1 using a code gained from defeating Vegeta.
1.0.4a: Vegeta's Renzoku Kikou Dan no longer shares a hotkey with his Afterimage Combo.

Keywords:
DBZ, Dragonball, Dragon Ball, RPG, Role Playing Game, Classic, Retro
Contents

Dragonball Kai Solo RPG 1.04a (Map)

Reviews
02:30, 17th Apr 2010 ap0calypse: Rejected
Level 4
I tried the map out.
1) I think the game might use some better models( you can ask someone from the HWS for help for that)
2) In the mission where you had to survive the dinos I died and I didn't get defeated( I even continued to the next level when the time was up o_O)
3) I saw that the pleases where your heroes spawn are reviewed
4) you might want to remove the "flight" spell in the "Snake Way" It mekes it TOO easy.
I won't rate the map yet but I think it is possible to make it better.

Level 3
@Sinder: I'm guessing that you just missed the target. That wasn't a problem I had in playtesting it at all.

About the map size concerns, this is my first serious map, and I overestimated the amount of space I'd need. The map is currently finished but I may well end up expanding it later. (Adding the Cell Saga, more movies, and maybe even the Buu saga.)

ATM though, I'm working on a Naruto sequel.

Anyone else have bugs, issues, unbeatable levels, reviews?

Level 9
Ok I've played it, it was better then expected, but still needs some improvement, most of them are easy add-able:

Terrain: terrain lacks tile variation and some doodads, like shrub. It's also very flat, lower and highten the terrain a little.
Abilities: The ki blasts (rain of fire) should have been better if you based them of cluster rockets, and instead of rockets change the model to searing arrow or firebolt, it'd be a nicer spell. A shockwave model would be cooler for a kamehameha
The heroes don't heal hp after a level, they should, you sometimes have to start a level with half your hp.

Even tho the spells are rather basic, I still enjoyed it, I've gotten to vegeta, but I realised too late I had to kill it's tale. And krillin died pretty fast, couldn't get him to throw spirit bomb.

With some improvements this map could easily get a 4/5 or higher, but I'll give you +rep for what you've accomplished already

Edit: I forgot to mention, the hotkeys are bad, the good thing about hotkeys is you can reach them all with one hand, most people just use Q W E R T Y as hotkeys, the just follow, even if you have an azerty keyboard like myself they're still pretty easy to handle, but in your map there are abilities with the O and B hotkey, this can easily be changed

Last edited:
Level 4
I almost forgot: try finding a good terraner the terran in the map isn't very good ( I suggest you take a look at some terraning tutorials here in the hive.
You can also make the map in a smaller size or make something out of the rest. Like continuing the story.

Level 3
Terrain: I actually like the minimalistic approach, but I'll keep that in mind.
Abilities: Energy Barrage is intentionally weak. Mostly it's for when you want a ranged attack - any ranged attack - and your better abilities are on cooldown. Notably, though, Vegeta's and Krillin's are occasionally worth using, because they have them at a higher level than everyone else. I did consider Cluster Rockets (There's a couple bosses late-game who have them, and they're a major feature of the sequel) but eventually decided that that would make an ability which never, ever, ever does anything in the series much too good.
I prefer the current model over Shockwave for a Kamehameha, myself. Kamehamehas should be blue.
I'll investigate the 'character's not healing', but I think it's just that the trigger which gives them full health doesn't activate until you type 'start', which I should probably do something about but was a low priority for me, given that it didn't affect gameplay.

As for the hotkeys, I'll fix that - It's not a problem for me, since I use a laptop and don't need one hand just for the mouse.

Edit - From the text that shows when you start the fight, all versions: 'Vegeta in his Oozaru form has a tail as a separate character. Destroy it to automatically defeat him.'

And if you're having trouble with Oozaru Vegeta, quick tip: Never enter melee with him unless he's stunned or it's Enraged Gohan. Just kite like mad.

@Venkata: Sorry, missed your first post somehow.

#1: I've never seen a DBZ model I liked. Sturgeon's Law and all.
#2: Thanks for reporting a bug. I'll fix that.
#3: ? Do not understand.
#4: It's supposed to be easy. The hard part is getting 3 EXP instead of 1.

Last edited:
Level 4
Forget about #3 I can't understand myself XD
And the "snake way" is really easy with flight.
You should make it at least a little bit more difficult.
And about the models you should ask somebody around the hive to make you a model of your choice ( I'm sure someone will be glad to help you ).

Level 3
Vankata, again - I like Snake Way's difficulty. You can reliably get the 'Under a minute' and 'No falling off' bonuses if you know what you're doing, but if you don't you have a chance to miss them. The trick isn't to win, it's to win by a lot.

As for the models: I just really don't like any of the custom models out there. I've looked at most of the DBZ ones people use, and they just aren't up to the level of Blizzard's.

Also, a good bit of the point of this map is the retro Starcraft feel, where Dodoria was an Ultralisk because, hey, somebody had to be!

Level 3
I like the idea for this map; it has some nice potential, but there are a few flaws I noticed.

1. There are far too many abilities with the shockwave model, which is rather silly. Perhaps dodon ray could be based off of chain lightning? But maybe with the healing wave or mana burn effects.

2. I found Tien's tri beam to be less efficient than dodon ray, which doesn't really make much sense. Maybe reduce the mana cost on tri beam? Since it already brings his health down. To have the ability be so easily dodgeable, damage Tien by 100, and be so costly with mana makes it not worth using.

3. Several abilities share the same hotkey as flight, F. Makes it really difficult to teleport away. In a map where kiting and teleporting is vital to victory, this is a huge error that needs to be fixed.

4. I felt Vegeta was a bit too strong in comparison to Goku. I couldn't defeat him in a normal fight without a lot of teleporting. It makes more sense for him to have to teleport away from Oozaru Vegeta a lot, but from regular Vegeta? (This could be because I actually put experience into Krillin and Gohan as well, but should Goku really get all the exp?)

Don't think there is much else to be mentioned. I totally agree with you on the topic of custom models. A lot of them don't look very nice and, in my opinion, don't fit well with the normal Blizzard models.

In closing, I'd say you have a nice map going and I look forward to seeing your progress on it. I, myself, have a similar project in the works, but it's multiplayer and a little more in depth storywise. It starts at Raditz and goes through Frieza as you planned to do with yours, so I can appreciate a map like this. Keep up the good work! +rep

Level 3
@SSJ2_Trunks

Thanks a lot for your comments! Point-by point discussion:

#1: Hm. I'll take that into consideration - It was intentional to some degree that most characters should get a Shockwave, but you're right that I might want to change a couple to similar abilities. (Piccolo's and Tien's, maybe?)

#2: Good point. I'll reduce the mana cost. Tien got less effort put into him due to the whole 'Only exists for one fight' bit.

#3: Blast, you're right. I recently redid the hotkeys, and it looks like I ended up with some overlap. Give me half an hour and I'll have a fixed version for you.

#4: There's two answers. The first is that this is is one of those situations where the desire for the map to be difficult overrules the desire to be accurate to the show, at least to some degree, and the Vegeta fight is already horrendously easy. The second is that, canonically, all the EXP was spent on Goku. :p

Again, thanks. I'll get these fixed in a second.

Mostly out of curiosity, how far have the people playing this map gotten?

Level 3
Well, to be honest, I only got up to Tailless Vegeta. I got carried away in the Goku vs Vegeta fight and didn't have the desire to keep him flying away. <_< >_> Not to mention I didn't give him the bulk of the exp. He shared it with Krillin and Gohan. Ah well. ;(

Level 3
Krisserz, the map is done. I wouldn't have posted it if I didn't think it was worth putting up. Most of the complaints people have are the inverse of complaints I have about other maps. I may want to revise a couple abilities if I get better ideas, but all in all? I'm happy.

Level 1
maps fun to play but can get really annoying at the training stage. if this map had some models it would be nicer to the general public. i for one couldn't care less as long as the game play is their and not just oh look at me syndrome with some maps. the maps concept is great if only it had a few more little things it'd get a 3.5 / 5 but as it is i would have to say 2.5 because of my love of the anime.

Level 1
hmm....The premise on this map is very good, i play SC alot and really liked techno terror/etc etc. but if i recall, weren't those multiplayer? did you make it solo cause of how hard the originals were with people dieing? i rate this map a 3.5/5...and if you would consider, possibly make the enemies human controlled? or might that be too hard for triggers and the other players?

Level 3
@Scouten: I *really* don't like the models, just because I think most of them aren't up to the standards of the ones shipped with Warcraft. And what do you mean by the 'training stage'? 1-3? 1-6?

@WhySoSerious: Yeah, those were multiplayer. As it happens, I almost never managed to finish those, simply because it was pretty close to impossible to get five people together for the six hours it took without SOMEBODY dying and everyone needing to start over again.

Also, it's much easier to test a map if it's just one person doing it. I'd rather have my releases at least playable, and this is a one-man endeavour.

In response to your suggestion that the enemies might be human controlled, I don't think I can implement that with how the game is set up now, but it's certainly a tempting idea for a sequel.

Thank you both for your comments!

Last edited:
Level 3
Nice! You added a second optional player. I really like that addition.

Though, After Image Combo that Goku has vs Raditz is horribly bugged. He teleports out of the area and into the bottom of the map. Raditz humorously teleported across the map and killed me. <_< >_>

Edit: Also..tried the map again. It crashes right at the start of the saibaman fight. As soon as I typed "start", it crashed.

Last edited:
Level 3
Actually, the second optional player was an accident - I was sharing it with a friend, and I forgot to take it out.

I should add it for real, though.

I have a guess as to the Saibamen bug, and I'll try to fix it now.

Edit - Updated map being posted. I was unable to replicate the Afterimage Combo bug. Could you please post a screenshot?

Last edited:
Level 3
WELL.. yeah, you should really keep in that optional secondary player option. :)

I enjoyed playing the map with SSJ2-Trunks and it was fun being able to watch and be able to try out some things without having to be put into the 'observers/referees' category.

Level 3
A bug turned feature. Funny how some things work out. <_< >_>

I figured out how I found the bug. Apparently, if you click away from the target of After Image(In this case, Raditz), before Goku teleports, he'll teleport to that area at the bottom of the map. Here's a screenshot attached to the post.

On an off topic note: I posted this same message a bit ago, though it never showed up. Only shows up when I add another reply or on the "my posts" section of my profile. Ah well.

Attachments

• You can handle it from here, Piccolo!.jpg
    You can handle it from here, Piccolo!.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 95
Level 3
I think I have a solution for this. Yep, updated and haven't ran into the bug.

Quick question to everyone who's been playing this seriously, as I'm curious as to what the players like. What are your favorite and least favorite stages/characters/abilities? What stages did you find to be inappropriately easy or hard? What abilities do you think the characters should've had that they didn't, or that they did have that they shouldn't have?

Level 3
I really enjoy the fight against Raditz. Especially when I was able to give unit control to one of my friends. I recall the Vegeta fight being really hard, though I said that earlier. <_< >_> Haven't gone further than that yet.

The dinosaur killing part with Gohan is too easy. Way too many berries spawning. Makes it impossible to die and I tend to finish that trial early with no problem.

When Gohan is Oozaru, maybe reduce his thunder clap range? It seems impossible to dodge, making the bonus extremely difficult to achieve.

On Snake Way, the rocks being enemies caused Goku to auto-target them due to Wc3's auto-pathing. The level was still doable, just needlessly annoying with Goku always attacking them on his own while I'm trying to navigate him through the paths.

Other Minor Suggestions: •In the training session with the humans, the enemy hero spawns were able to heal on the circles of power. Made it really annoying when a CPU Chiaotzu accidentally used his knockback into it. It would be really nice to be fixed.

•Also, the pillars couldn't be targeted by certain ability's. Tien couldn't dodon ray it, etc. Only kamehameha worked, if I remember correctly.

•This is a very minor thing, but I think it would look nice if Goku's after image ability left a mirror image effect in the spot he teleported from.

Level 3
Basically SSJ2-Trunks posted before I did when it comes to this.. but yep! He basically addressed every problem that I would've mentioned myself!

Level 3
Favorite fights: Hmm. You may want to adjust that once you've gotten farther. Ginyu Force starts out similar, but is a lot more fun.

Gohan: How are you dividing the EXP from the Raditz fight? The level is supposed to be difficult with Level 1 Gohan and easy with Level 2 Gohan.

Snake Way: I didn't notice him trying to attack them. They're neutral to him, not enemy. He'll walk around them, but that's something else altogether.

Oozaru: Stomp is impossible to dodge. You need to use Namekian Regeneration immediately after the last stomp in order to get the bonus.

Training Session: Actually, 1.0.3 fixed some of that. I'm currently fixing the rest.

After Image: Oooh, you're right. Coding.

After Image Edit: Actually, no. Not sure I can do that. Create Special Effect would result in Goku appearing and then suddenly dying. Will think about ways to implement it, but...

Level 3
Favorite fights: I look forward to the Ginyu Saga then.

Gohan: I always give him level 2 when I play. Is that a bad strategy?

Snake Way: Really? They're neutral to him? Strange. When I played, they weren't. Hm, maybe it was for that version only.

Oozaru: I guess that's true. It's nice to have difficult challenges here and there, anyway.

Training Session: Sounds good to me.

After Image: Awesome. Will make the spell look rather nice.

EDIT: Really? It has him dying if you use Create Special Effect? I don't understand why.

I can't think of anything else to suggest for the time being. I plan to do another playthrough of it sometime today, if you release the version with these fixes. I'll give you some feedback then.

Level 3
It's been updated. Sadly, I couldn't make the After Image Technique work. Still thinking up ideas, though.

Edit - It's not that he dies if you use Create Special Effect, it's that either it lasts forever or you have to kill it using Destroy Special Effect.

Edit 2 - No, not really. It's just that I have a friend who doesn't, and he spends the whole event running like mad.

Level 3
Ah, I think I know of a solution! First, make a variable for the location the effect will appear at. Next, set the variable to position of Goku before he teleports. Name it AfterImageLoc or something. Then, move a region to the variable to you set. Create the effect on the region after Goku teleports. Have the special effect be set to another variable. Name it whatever you want. Have the special effect be destroyed after a very brief wait to let it finish. Lastly, use custom script and enter: call RemoveLocation( udg_AfterImageLoc )

Should work perfectly if you get the timing down.

EDIT: Oh, I just noticed you made it for Vegeta as well. Would need to make a separate trigger and set of variables for his to get the effect. Though, I'm wondering why you removed his Final Flash. Was it glitchy?

Level 3
@SSJ2-Trunks: Actually, it was because he never properly used it until the Cell Saga. He used a similar (But much weaker) ability against Reccoome, so I could put it in, but it was a stretch. I'd rather have something that he actually used. Also, Vegeta is the most melee-focused character in the game; giving him an ability for melee seemed to fit.

I'll try out your suggestion.

Level 3
Oh, I see. Well, whatever you think works best. I always really liked the Final Flash he used against Recoome, so I included it mine. Though, he's more of a energy blaster in mine.

Getting back on topic, I hope my suggestion works for After Image. It should be leak free and work nicely.