• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

DotA and Guinsoo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
This post is mainly for darky since I know you have worked with him before.

If some of you have tried entering Clan TDA yesterday, it wouldn't let you. I had a conversation with Guinsoo later asking why he wouldn't let anyone in. He had an away message on saying something like: "I hate DotA, I hate the world and everyone should die" Anyways, later I found out that he was failing college and for this he is not going to update DotA anymore, will close down TDA forums and channel, and some other stuff.

Someone please talk him out of this. DotA is a great map and is problably the most played custom game on Azeroth. He is the one who motivated me to start making maps, I don't want to see a great map-maker go down like this... Darky, or someone should talk him out of this, or no more DotA for us?

Level 2
That's understandable. If he needs to devote more time to his studies, then he should stop. However, there are many people who love his map, and therefore, it would be popular to leave it to some one. I once knew a mapmaker who quit Warcraft because of school, and he told me he didn't want to give me his specific maps because he liked them(he did give out the triggers), and felt that he had gotten them to a point where he was very proud of them, and didn't want anyone, even me, to have them, because then they would twist towards that person's ideas and feelings, and no longer be a reflection of his. If Allstars no longer gets updated, it'll still be played, but....think about it. How many allstars games do you see? How many times do you join it instead of trying something new? Another map or maps will replace it, and they'll probably be just as fun if not better...

Level 7
Elminster_Aumar said:
That's understandable. If he needs to devote more time to his studies, then he should stop. However, there are many people who love his map, and therefore, it would be popular to leave it to some one. I once knew a mapmaker who quit Warcraft because of school, and he told me he didn't want to give me his specific maps because he liked them(he did give out the triggers), and felt that he had gotten them to a point where he was very proud of them, and didn't want anyone, even me, to have them, because then they would twist towards that person's ideas and feelings, and no longer be a reflection of his. If Allstars no longer gets updated, it'll still be played, but....think about it. How many allstars games do you see? How many times do you join it instead of trying something new? Another map or maps will replace it, and they'll probably be just as fun if not better...

I agree with you, college is a big thing and anyone would be pissed... I feel bad... I wish I could communicate with him, im sure that I could keep his map in good shape and I would always give him credit, if not me, then I can refer him to other great mapmakers around these forums. If not, then R.I.P. to DotA :(

Level 3
Dota is a horrible map. Completely unbalanced, designed for noobs that like overpowered heros, AND Guinsoo ripped off phoenix wake from TOB. If you want a real game play TOB not dota.

Level 5
Im completely with craft on this one. Why would guinsoo fail college for dota? I could spend about 5 min a day and do what he does. What takes time is MAKING THE MAP not updating it in his speed.

And btw, Guinsoo didnt "make" dota.

Eul created a map called DotA with the old RoC editor, which was very hard at that time.

Later, Guinsoo takes Euls map from scratch and remakes the triggers, adds heroes from other maps and voila he becomes famous.

But if he IS failign college he should really stop working on dota, no need for us to try to ruin his life right? I stopped playing dota anyways...

Level 2
Craft said:
Dota is a horrible map. Completely unbalanced, designed for noobs that like overpowered heros, AND Guinsoo ripped off phoenix wake from TOB. If you want a real game play TOB not dota.

Yep. Here's a quote from one of the stickies on the DOTA "Balance" forum:
WITHOUT IMBALANCE THERE IS NO SKILL

This is coming from someone at DigiPen, who's therefore an expert on how to make games, and says that people that can't comprehend such a concept will never be satisfied and shouldn't bother with RTS games. He would also like you to know that his shit does in fact not stink.

They basically make their balance assumptions on the theory that only newbs pick the obviously-stronger heros, so you'll be able to out-skill them with worse heros. Better heros like Fletcher, which they even admit is "superior."

And they're having a cash tournament for this?

Level 2
leissaK said:
This post is mainly for darky since I know you have worked with him before.

If some of you have tried entering Clan TDA yesterday, it wouldn't let you. I had a conversation with Guinsoo later asking why he wouldn't let anyone in. He had an away message on saying something like: "I hate DotA, I hate the world and everyone should die" Anyways, later I found out that he was failing college and for this he is not going to update DotA anymore, will close down TDA forums and channel, and some other stuff.

Someone please talk him out of this. DotA is a great map and is problably the most played custom game on Azeroth. He is the one who motivated me to start making maps, I don't want to see a great map-maker go down like this... Darky, or someone should talk him out of this, or no more DotA for us?

Guinsoo made DoTa allstars? If that's true, he didn't even make it. Check the RoC ones and you will get a different maker. Allstars didn't come from this guy. The ROC ones were worth playing. DotA 3.0 was good. It was balanced. It wasn't item whoring.

If the real maker of DOTA, not this guy, were stopping making it, then i would be concerned. DoTa is now just 'who can click dark ranger fastest' or 'who can buy so many of this that their HP regen is 30+

In conclusion, I would be concerned if it was the REAL maker...

Status
Not open for further replies.